New Clouds Discussion

Mizzy

I like a lot the cotton spinning clouds!!, it´s like a Pokemon game, improving fantasy in DCS world.

I think Kate said that in may ED will start working again on this subject... expect to have finished in alpha state by 2025.

• 2 weeks later...

it's been 7 months since Ratzo said it'll be in "this year", referring to 2019, and likely referring to something said by an actual ED employee... everyone should take this into account when ED releases forward looking information regarding their product.

<3 Ratzo

I would like to know some info from ED (more that "we are working on it..."). The latest news were whats Kate said: "we will start working on clouds on May...".

What is the current situation of this? we´re waiting MANY years with the same clouding dissappearing and static weather stuttering... clouds anb weather are a SIGNIFICANT item in a flight simulator, I don´t understand whats happening with this (pleae, look at the other 2WW sim... clouding&weather is superb). We are now in 2020, just not to have weather from 2004 SIM (the same clouds like LOMAC, 16 years ago...)!!

ED is preparing for " World of Warships "

Why would we need new clouds and weather engine, for a flight simulator ?!

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

ED is preparing for " World of Warships "

Why would we need new clouds and weather engine, for a flight simulator ?!

I hope this is sarcastic...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

LOL

Of course it is

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

LOL

Of course it is

Thank god for that, I nearly had a stroke :worthy:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

:D:D:D

The SC was supposed to be released in April as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we only see it by the end of summer, given the current state of DCS.

Negativity ! I would pay five times the price of the most expensive module to have proper clouds. DCS is the only flight sim I don't fly with clouds or fog etc activated. It's far to poor at the minute and in desperate need of correction. If IL-2 can do a good job, why not DCS... It surely must be a priority ?

Mizzy

PS They had better clouds in Flanker 2.5 modded !! Btw I had nothing to do with that :)

Edited by Mizzy
  • Like 1

@Mizzy, I totally agree with you

DCS is the only flight sim I don't fly with clouds or fog etc activated.

You must be flying another sim... DCS does have the vicious everfog which some might also call haze... most prevalent in the morning though, where it gets extra nasty. And there is absolutely no way to switch it off or reduce anywhere icon_exclaim.gif

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 5 months later...

They don't even bother to upload some printscreens with the new clouds

• Like 1

They don't even bother to upload some printscreens with the new clouds

There was one, but it was small header in a newsletter few months ago.

I believe that ED will withhold all marketing material for future revelation as there is major competition going on at this moment with MSF20 for the weather engine. And letting things cool down a little allows then better marketing to begin with.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I don't think marketing is relevant at any point here. The real thing is that it's not just new clouds, but a new weather system with humidity, temperatures, pressure that affects visibility (through haze and fog) as well as thermal imagery on TGPs or missile seeker heads and it is something that's certainly needed as a base for the ATFLIR that's been said to come with a new IR system. And I'd expect they want to make sure that all that does at least work considerably well enough. Just showing fancy cloud layers probably would just ramp up the hype train, which wouldn't be the best thing to do with a rather uncertain ETA. Just reminding of the Viper Mavs here...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I don't think marketing is relevant at any point here. The real thing is that it's not just new clouds, but a new weather system with humidity, temperatures, pressure that affects visibility (through haze and fog) as well as thermal imagery on TGPs or missile seeker heads and it is something that's certainly needed as a base for the ATFLIR that's been said to come with a new IR system. And I'd expect they want to make sure that all that does at least work considerably well enough. Just showing fancy cloud layers probably would just ramp up the hype train, which wouldn't be the best thing to do with a rather uncertain ETA. Just reminding of the Viper Mavs here...

Sure, the challenge is to promote the system than just the graphics.

The good way (IMHO) is to show its complexity, like example in these two posts:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/licensed-third-party-projects/belsimtek/official-news-and-updates/199567-belsimtek-holidays-update#post199567

and

When the new weather system comes out, ED really need to utilize it at maximum potential to put jaws on the floor. As weather system is not, as you say, just a pretty clouds, but it as well changes dog fight and BVR as well CAS completely. Like example taking the Taz mod for better rain, that simply turns the rain drops white instead staying black, and the CAS becomes very challenging in rainy scenarios as your visibility becomes very poor. You really need to think about your attack to avoid on critical moment to lose a sighting to enemy.

Now think about what happens in future after weather system IF the ground units would get proper tactics for hiding against FLIR, radar and visual spotting? It becomes really annoying thing as you are more of a putting bomb "on that tree line at there" than "on that vehicle there". Just estimating locations and so on.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hopefully soon. We are at one point in time in which volumetric clouds are being implemented pretty much everywhere. The most recent civilian flight sim has it, the most popular ww2 sim has them, one of the most famous free to play games with tanks, planes, helicopters and ships announced it few days ago as well. It's a game changing feature even just for the eyecandy side of things

• 3 weeks later...
Did anybody else see the new clouds in the thumbnail of the new video released yesterday by ED. They look cool for sure. I can't wait to fly between layers like in the screenshot. I guess iif they used it for the thumbnail they must be getting closer.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"maxresdefault.jpg","data-attachmentid":7146508}[/ATTACH]

What's so cool on this clouds ??

I lost any hopes about the new clouds.