FLIR Screen totally black-white after bomb explode

Solo_Turk

Thanks Ramsay. Sounds like a very basic and solvable bug. Hope ED can raise to the occasion.

Nope, not so easy.

After playing a MP session tonight, I tried to recreate the render bug and couldn't.

Tried deleting temp files, clearing the fxo and metashaders2, etc. and there's no way I can reproduce what I saw/screen shot earlier ?

The IR Mav render in the replay stubbornly remains correct i.e. as seen in post #71.

... and then 5 minutes later, it renders incorrectly but subsequent replays are good again ?

Edited by Ramsay
Still trying to reproduce the FLIR fault in a reliable way.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Nope, not so easy.

After playing a MP session tonight, I tried to recreate the render bug and couldn't.

Tried deleting temp files, clearing the fxo and metashaders2, etc. and there's no way I can reproduce what I saw/screen shot earlier ?

The IR Mav render in the replay stubbornly remains correct i.e. as seen in post #71.

But it's not a matter of reproducing the issue, that's easy, just install the game and play and everyone will see the FLIR is wrong.

Stay safe

Can you show me some screenshots of what you are seeing in this instance? A track as well so I can make sure I am replicating just as you see it. Right now I don't see this type of issue.

Refer to Ramsay picture/first video below your post I am responding to as it demonstrates the white out via smoke quite well.

Why should it, according to the TGP FLIR image, the smoke is COLD (Black is HOT, White is COLD), yet the warm light background is now dazzled/overexposed by the cold white obscurant.

There are issues with what's cold and what's hot in DCS because it simply isn't simulated at all currently. But as you can see from the videos I linked previously (see:

), it should absolutely washout during explosions, and for a fairly long bit of time.

• 1 month later...

No problem if the screen turns blank at impact but when the bug is present, you cant use the FLIR to search a target because as soon as you look "close" to a burning target, the screen turns blank even is "close" is many hundred feets.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

This is still an issue in various planes, today the display in A-10C went full white after Maverick got in the view (maybe smoke effect is a culprit?). When I restarted the game the image was better, but there are still weird white blobs instead of smoke from burning objects in both A-10 and F-18.

IR:

RR8p6hz.png

CCD:

4hXzWhF.png

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

And the FLIR went completely south on me today. What a waste of time.

I have a suspicion the smoke from Maverick launch can trigger the issue, just like the smoke from chimneys (which I have disabled).. but it's just a suspicion.

EYpf32k.png

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I played the attached track several times, restarting DCS with each attempt. Just start DCS, replay track, exit to desktop, start DCS, repeat... Not changing anything in the system, no shaders reset or anything. And I randomly get one of the three results:

1. everything looks fine.

zHA9p0K.jpg 7KKGNAK.jpg

2. medium garbage, but usable.

w8JNtWm.jpg pfPqbSQ.jpg

3. completely useless as soon as smoke gets in the view.

wnkiL3P.jpg

Sorry if I sound annoyed, but this game breaking issue is still here despite being reported almost a year ago.

flirWhiteout.trk

• ED Team

Hi

Thanks for the post, I am not able to reproduce on my machine.

Can I ask you if you are using any shader mods like the VR one or reshade?

Also can you take a screenshot of your settings for us,

we will continue to try.

Thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Here are my settings, no reshade or any shader mods (or any mods I can remember). The issue seems to happen in both VR and 2D:

MmG4c8Z.jpg

I also see the behaviors some1 describes. Different starts of DCS can lead to any of the above scenarios, without nothing changing in the meantime. I have also tried with and without cleaning the fxo and metashaders2 folders in Saved Games between DCS restarts. The issue is not consistent.

My settings are attached.

Screen_200729_024752.thumb.png.b707de249d1083b51e6b15d528ecfe1a.png

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I also checked on a different PC (a laptop with GTX1050) with a vanilla DCS install, having only Hornet, PG and the Harrier installed.

2 out of 5 DCS runs, I got the issue. Not the total whiteout, but the intermediate issue where the smoke doesn't blend correctly with the background. (https://i.imgur.com/pfPqbSQ.jpg)

@BIGNEWY, @NineLine

I have been personally hunting this bug for couple months (2769). I can confirm every single word that the gents here are reporting. There is this issue, and it happens *sometimes*.

You will most likely will never be able to reproduce it by watching a track. It can happen on any machine, I think, but under a specific set of circumstances, which are not replicable in track replay.

I know that it doesn't help a lot with getting to the root of the problem, just sharing own observations after looking at it for a while.

It goes as far that I have an issue when writing the track. Two minutes later after replaying the track I no longer have it :)

Edited by Andrei

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

It is replicable in track replay for me, but simply not every time I start DCS.

I also get this "intermediate" corruption more often than total whiteout. Which may be harder to notice and some people may have the issue not realising something is wrong. But once you know what to expect, it's easy to spot:

Good: https://i.imgur.com/7KKGNAK.jpg

Bad: https://i.imgur.com/pfPqbSQ.jpg

This is the same issue with the A-10 TGP where hot stuff like exhaust from missiles and explosions white out your FLIR view. I've send track as well...

Super inconsistent, normally I have to delete shaders couple of times to fix the issues

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

This is the same issue with the A-10 TGP where hot stuff like exhaust from missiles and explosions white out your FLIR view. I've send track as well...

Super inconsistent, normally I have to delete shaders couple of times to fix the issues

I think it's a DCS-wide issue. When it occurs, it seems to occur for all FLIR sensors, since I they probably all share a common FLIR renderer.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Hi

Thanks for the post, I am not able to reproduce on my machine.

Can I ask you if you are using any shader mods like the VR one or reshade?

Also can you take a screenshot of your settings for us,

we will continue to try.

Thank you

You couldn't? I don't understand, the issue is there, doesn't seem to be dependent on the PC but DCS.

Stay safe

• 2 months later...

Latest on this? Just got the A10C II and the TGP/Mav screen are mostly unusable if there's smoke around. Same with the Viper. None of the workarounds seem to consistently work.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

I have reported this, however have not been able to produce a track because it doesn’t occur everytime. May be dependent on the map, and other specific factors, however this is an issue making night strike missions almost impossible.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

From my own experience, something may be related to shader compiling. Sometimes when I notice the issue occur, I close DCS, delete fxo and metashaders in Saved Games, restart DCS and recompile, and it goes away. Not every time, but if I do it enough, it eventually does.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• ED Team

This is probably related to the chimney smoke setting, set it to zero it should help.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

This is probably related to the chimney smoke setting, set it to zero it should help.

Already set to zero for months now and I also tried setting heat blur to off, as another poster suggested. Doesn't seem to help or at least it does not eliminate the problem.

The weirdest thing is that I'll delete fxo+metashaders2 in Saved Games and that might help or not help at all. And one time I'll launch DCS and it'll work correctly for the entire session, no matter the aircraft. Seems like it's something that changes upon launching DCS (or restarting your PC or waking it up from Sleep?), I don't know.

-