FLIR Screen totally black-white after bomb explode

Solo_Turk

• ED Team

We have new FLIR in development, but no dates to share yet. Hopefully this will help in the long run.

The problem with smoke and the chimney setting has been reported also.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yes, I don’t understand why this has been going for 11 pages when the issue already has more than one thread and has been marked as [REPORTED].

The FLIR display is unusable when there is any smoke around, and the chimney thing makes no difference, to me at least.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Wags is giving an A-10C II tutorial to Mover. Here’s the link;

At about 12:30 into the video, Mover has a hit with the FLIR on in the Tpod. Screen goes black as it looks like he’s in black hot mode. This is what many of us are experiencing. White hot is just the opposite. Screen goes to a complete whiteout.

I think the problem with this bug is that it is not always present, for me anyway. Sometimes it happens for days, and then I try again, and it's OK, That pattern repeats over and over. I guess this is why NL and others are having trouble replicating this bug.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 4 weeks later...

I've also been looking into this issue for some time now (ever since i've been sporadically plagued by it). I do believe that this is te same issue as currently being investigated by ED in this post.

Now before I proceed, I would like to clarify that I'm definitely no expert in these matters (far from it), but I noticed something that helped me and therefore hope that it might help others.

As a general rule, I would always recommend making a backup of the folders you're about to change, so you can always undo your change.

The Issue:

For some unknown reason smoke generated by explosions, white phosphorus rockets or smoke from a fired maverick would cause a complete white- or blackout of the IR TGP image.

No matter the type of aircraft used, the issue was there on all of them (personally I tested with the A10C, A10C2, F18C and F16C).

The map also didn't matter. Caucasus, Nevada, Normandy, PersianGulf and Syria, all had the same issue.

In general, I always try to run the latest Nvidia card driver (I have a 2070 super) and don't use any mods whatsoever (like reshade).

As suggested earlier in this post, deleting the contents of the folders "metashaders2" and "fxo" helps some people (for some time).

To clarify the folders i'm referring to are:

User\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\metashaders2

User\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\fxo

Personally I noticed that the issue would reoccur after being triggered by a pc reboot or after running a DCS update.

The post by goodman.od.ua initially helped. Thanks for that!

Therefore I've made it a habit of following his step-by-step plan and deleting the contents of these two folders, together with with playing around with the chimney smoke setting.

But then, after some time and for some unknown reason the issue always returned.

Before the latest update (Hot fix DCS 2.5.6.57530 Open Beta) the issue hadn't bothered me for a couple of days. But after updating, there it was once again...

Now here's what i did differently this time:

1. This time, after updating, I started DCS and noticed the issue.

2. I closed DCS and this time I didn't delete the contents of the "metashaders2". I also didn't do anything with the chimney smoke setting (left it on 5 per default).

3. I only deleted the contents of the "fxo" folder in saved games.

4. I then went to \Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains

(Personally I have the Caucasus, Nevada, Normandy, PersianGulf and Syria maps).

5. Within terrains I went to \Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs and deleted the contents of this folder.

6. I then proceeded to doing this for all my maps.

7. Started DCS, loaded an instant action mission on all maps to test, and the IR image of the TGP worked properly again.

8. I then went to a MP server and concluded that the IR image of the TGP worked there as well.

The issue hasn't come back for some days now (even after multiple pc shutdowns), but I don't know if this provides a more "permanent" solution...

Might be that the issue will come back after the next DCS update... And this is purely speculative, but it could well be that the fxo files in the saved games folder, somehow work together with the files in the terrains folder, I don't know...

I'll definitely check again when the next update hits and let you guys know if/when the issue returned. Meanwhile feel free to try this for yourselves. Hope it helps!

OK, you are on to something here! Deleting that folder used to be part of the standard Shades Mod procedure, but it was felt to be unnecessary recently.

I have now tried 10 times with that those folders renamed and saved games fxo and metashaders2 folders emptied and I can say that the issue has not re-appeared!

Well done. Let's keep monitoring this and report to BN/ED if it continues to work over the next few days.

The issue still often reappears for me. I have:

1. Set Chimney Smoke 0

2. Cleared fxo and metashaders2 before every flight

3. Cleared terrains metacache (for VR shaders mod) after each DCS update

Same here. It's a horrible bug lasting for ages now. No matter how many time I do the process above - it returns.

Every time you go for a SP/MP sortie - it's a Russian roulette in regard of whether your FLIR will work or not...

ED, can you explain what is the reason for this bug? Plans to fix it soon?

Thanks.

You guys are right, the process above doesn't work. I just went back to try, and yep, back to the normal blown out FLIR.

The response is basically "it might be fixed with the new IR modeling," something that's been rumors for at least two years now. Are we really supposed to have an unusable sensor until whenever the new IR modeling finally comes out?

I strongly feel the same way. It is unacceptable that ED forces us to live FOR SO LONG with a very buggy sensor just because some day in the extremely long term we COULD have an improved FLIR coding.

This practice applies to many more aspects in our customer experience.

• Like 2

Stay safe

This is an issue with F16, A10 and F18 TGPs as far as I know, happens with JTAC smoke as well, Maverick display too.

It's with all FLIR sensors on all modules.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It is unacceptable that ED forces us to live FOR SO LONG with a very buggy sensor just because some day in the extremely long term we COULD have an improved FLIR coding.

+1

its been years ED, cmon.

dont tell me its impossible to debug this when you can see it when it occurs. how long can the code, that measures average brightness in the rendered image for expossure effect, be? :joystick:

• Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing back this old thread because I would like some more people testing it.

I've noticed that this problem is improved when I disable Nvidia Shader Cache.  But still creeps back.  So I suspected it is related to Nvidia and DCS cache conflicting.

Then I remembered there was DCS shader cache setting in graphics.lua.  I disabled it, been testing for a week so far and hasn't resurfaced.  One time it looked like it was coming back.. it was slightly brighter.  But once I restarted DCS, it was back to normal.

/Config/graphics.lua

Line 441

metaShaderCacheEnabled = true;

Change it to false

Make sure Shader Cache is set to  On in Nvidia control panel. 

Then delete fxo and metashaders2 in SavedGames.

See if the issue comes back.

Seems to be IC compatible.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Thanks 2

I'll give it a whirl. 

This whole situation is displeasing. I've been unable to to A2G combat because of an unusable FLIR image, I've been unable to to A2A because of broken missile guidance, and I've been unable to do WW2 because of flashing graphics issues. The code in this sim seems to be circling the drain with each module/feature addition ED adds on to it.

Edited by Nealius

On 12/30/2020 at 12:06 AM, Nealius said:

This whole situation is displeasing. I've been unable to to A2G combat because of an unusable FLIR image, I've been unable to to A2A because of broken missile guidance, and I've been unable to do WW2 because of flashing graphics issues. The code in this sim seems to be circling the drain with each module/feature addition ED adds on to it.

These are the exact same reasons I haven’t been flying near as much as I used to.  These bugs are are so off putting, I just don’t enjoy it anymore. It’s so frustrating to setup, takeoff, fly to the target area, get off a weapon successfully, and the flir being blinded until the smoke clears.  I can’t even look in the general direction of the lingering smoke without the flir being a total whiteout or blackout depending on the black hot, or white hot setting.  CCD works, but doesn’t help much if you bring IRmavs.

I will try changing the setting Taz recommend, and see if it makes a difference.

***Update***

Just an update, I did what Taz suggested. After three sessions I don’t have the screen washout!  I think you may be onto something. However, instead of changing the graphics.lua file, I added this line to my autoexec.cfg;

options.graphics.metaShaderCacheEnabled = false

This way you shouldn’t have to change your graphics.lua file after every update.

Edited by MarvK
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After applying the line to the autoexec.cfg file, l thought this had fixed the flir from blowing out.  But alas, after about a week, it was back. 😕

Deleting the content of the fxo and metashaders2 folders again, and rebooting the system resolved it.  I normally put my system into sleep mode instead of powering it down.  Maybe the nVidia shader cache outside of DCS is interfering in some way?  🤔 

Regardless, I still think turning it off in the sim helps with this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Still broken. Tried one of the 3rd party campaigns with FLIR equipped aircraft. Only wasted time.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:27 AM, Nealius said:

The response is basically "it might be fixed with the new IR modeling," something that's been rumors for at least two years now. Are we really supposed to have an unusable sensor until whenever the new IR modeling finally comes out?

Yep, and from what ED is saying, the new IR system is not even close to release. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Well, the issue seems a lot more complicated.  With the shader cache disabled, I didn't have any issues on short or instant missions.  But on longer campaign missions like Operation Piercing Fury, the issue came back.  Even fresh after deleting fxo and metashaders2.  It may be the fog in that campaign or it may be related to the duration of your flight time.  It could also be several factors affecting it together.

This type of bug is hard to troubleshoot because it's inconsistent to reproduce and takes long time to test.

Edited by Taz1004

I think either 9L or BN said they reproduced it on their end. They could also start by going back to the version when the issue was first reported and see what has been changed around that time. Because it wasn't always like that, although the date of the first post in this thread (October 21, 2019) is not the date when it got borked, it happened even earlier and there are older threads about it. 

It's been broken for about two years. Sigh....

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, Taz1004 said:

Well, the issue seems a lot more complicated.  With the shader cache disabled, I didn't have any issues on short or instant missions.  But on longer campaign missions like Operation Piercing Fury, the issue came back.  Even fresh after deleting fxo and metashaders2.  It may be the fog in that campaign or it may be related to the duration of your flight time.  It could also be several factors affecting it together.

This type of bug is hard to troubleshoot because it's inconsistent to reproduce and takes long time to test.

I've never had it occur on a "bad start" after long play. Meaning, when I get a start that doesn't produce this washout it has never started producing it after playing for several hours (max I think is 6 hours).