How well can I control the Hornet with a UFC, ODU and two MFDs?

FSFIan

Hi,

given that I have cobbled together a working Harrier UFC, ODU and MPCDs which would translate very well to the Hornet, I am considering to buy it this sale.

In the Harrier, once I have started it up, everything I use regularly is covered by the custom panels and my HOTAS.

I'd like to know what the third display in the Hornet is typically used for, and how much only having two MPCDs will affect my ability to operate a Hornet without using the mouse.

(I don't have the space, monitor or time to add a third MPCD in the short/medium term.)

For example, I could export the third display to my right monitor, it just wouldn't have any buttons. How much hassle is it to temporarily swap display contents around? Is there any "quick swap" feature similar to coolie hat down in the A-10C?

Here is what my setup for the Harrier looks like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=219758&d=1571760465

Normally I put the SA page onto the AMPCD and the only time I have to mess with it is on start up or in a new aircraft. A set it and forget it display for me.

I don't extract displays but use VR so have no thoughts on extracted stuff. The main inputs I use are the two top MFDs which I have set to my TM MFDs and to a lesser extent the UFC which I just use the left VR hand controller to change things there.

It's definitely ok to just use 2 MFD/DDI for just about any mission. I use the HSI a lot and always put that upon one of the two DDI's. The center/lower screen I use more for admin. Fuel, checklists, etc. You can reach any of these pages from the upper screens if you need to anyway so not having that extra screen is far from a show stopper.

Thanks for the insights.

I'll get the Hornet and see how far I get by operating the AMPCD with the mouse. If I find I need to use a few of the OSBs on it frequently to the point that clicking them is annoying me, I can map them to the HOTAS or build a tiny dedicated button box.

The F/A-18C should give me a nice fallback option for those times on multiplayer servers when ground-pounding in the Harrier simply is not an option because of enemy air cover and no friendly CAP. I don't know how much time I can devote to learning its systems and A2A tactics, but the least I can do is take off and lob a few SPAMRAAMs in anger.

My experience is the same as Mule's generally. However, in A2A mode, the left DDI switches to the stores page and the right to the radar when a missile is selected, which can be annoying if you have put anything else on the left DDI. Because of this, if I'm anticipating A2A combat I prefer to put the SA page on the AMPCD. You can just switch the left DDI after selecting a missile, but it will happen again if you change weapons (I believe though I could be wrong here, I'll just in DCS in a bit and test it out).

Thanks for your work on DC-BIOS Ian!

Edited by Razi

It's definitely ok to just use 2 MFD/DDI for just about any mission. I use the HSI a lot and always put that upon one of the two DDI's. The center/lower screen I use more for admin. Fuel, checklists, etc. You can reach any of these pages from the upper screens if you need to anyway so not having that extra screen is far from a show stopper.

I have a similar approach to Mule. I keep the third one for non critical items such as checklists, fuel etc. The colour moving map is pretty useless too. If you have a spare tablet / or large screen phone, there is a great app for both android / iOS that replicates the MFD and UFC. I use this for extra "immersion" but it isn't really necessary.

I use three MFDs, but it's definitely doable with two. I started with the two MFDs and I used a modifier to turn either of them to the AMPCD. I had one modifier on the stick and one on the throttle. The end result is that I could use either MFDs as the AMPCD, depending on what was more convenient at the time and as other people have said, you don't use the AMPCD's buttons all the time, since you can use the HOTAS for some functions.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro