Is DCS worth it with just a normal hotas?

Every new hardware needs some practice to get used to and take advantage of. Few weeks and you're over. No need to prepare.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I am using the T16000 plus the TWCS Throttle for more than 3 years, since I got back into Flightsim after some years of absence. Got myself some Crosswinds, after a few months.

I am really happy with that combo, but for some months I really think about upgrading my HOTAS, to something more serious / advanced.

Wanted to go for the quite standard Thrustmaster Warthog & even got me the Deltaelectronics Slew-Stick-Mod. While I really would like to have the Warthog grip, I actually want something more advanced than the Warthog-base.

Virpil would be my preferred choice (WarBRD plus T50 & maybe the newly released VFX).

I know it might be a stupid question, but would the community recommend in doing it that way, or just getting the Warthog HOTAS first (because of that great grip) and upgrading to a WarBRD later?

I'm still on the Edge for the Warthog Throttle, although I like my TWCS quite a lot, which could stay in service, until Virpil or VKB releases their new Throttles.

First world problems, I know. But one wants to do it right, with so much money on the line.

So please; some advice, insight or recommendations would be really great. :D

Edited by Canadus
Typos

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

While I really would like to have the Warthog grip, I actually want something more advanced than the Warthog-base.

Virpil would be my preferred choice (WarBRD plus T50 & maybe the newly released VFX).

I know it might be a stupid question, but would the community recommend in doing it that way, or just getting the Warthog HOTAS first (because of that great grip) and upgrading to a WarBRD later?

I am using a Warthog throttle and grip with a Virpil Mongoos-T50CM2 base. I had been using the TMWH for a few years and upgraded the base a few months ago.

If you want to get the TMWH grip anyway, I think starting with the TMWH base+grip is a good idea. While it is not on the level of Virpil and VKB, the Warthog base is still very precise when it is new (the spring is quite stiff however, so if you want to fly helicopters, get an extension right away). Once the sticktion sets in after a year or three, you will have saved up enough for the Virpil base.

For the Hornet you don't need rudder controls. Sure, you will get the last few % of maneouvrability from the aircraft at low speeds if you have rudder control, but you don't need it.

But for helicopters and warbirds you will need rudder to counter torque from their props. Also for the Tomcat, you will definitely want rudder to fully control that because of the complex way in which air breaks over its wings at higher AOAs and the way that aircraft derives lift and manoeuvrability. In those situations would would be able to get used to a twist grip, but I would encourage saving the extra money over time to get foot pedals.

But for the Hornet - your question - you are good enough to go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, you taxi with differential braking and throttle?

No. I have Slaw rudder controls. But before these arrived I used a twist grip. And before the twist grip arrived I used buttons. Were buttons ideal? No. Did they work? Yes.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No. I have Slaw rudder controls. But before these arrived I used a twist grip. And before the twist grip arrived I used buttons.

So you meant the pedals - not rudder controls.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria