How difficult is this plane to learn ?

jfri

Easier engine management i can agree but ground handling no way :) P-51 is Sunday driving compare to bf 109 on ground.
As I said it's tougher than allies (with Spit somehow close), but really it isn't that much when mastered. It's just a matter or getting the sweet spot and using tail wheel lock.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

As I said it's tougher than allies (with Spit somehow close), but really it isn't that much when mastered. It's just a matter or getting the sweet spot and using tail wheel lock.

S!

When mastered everything is easy so no point analyzing it.

Spitfire much easier then bf109. Taxi may be challenging (no tail wheel lock) but take off is piece of cake, you got good rudder authority from very beginning of the roll easy controllable in cross wind t/o etc unlike bf 109 being hard bi..... in this scenarios.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

When mastered everything is easy so no point analyzing it.
:lol::lol: Not really, a tough aircraft always is despite you mastering it. That's why I point out 109 is not that tough as it seems at first glance after a while.

My experience is not that bad as yours, sorry.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

:lol::lol: Not really, a tough aircraft always is despite you mastering it. That's why I point out 109 is not that tough as it seems at first glance after a while.

My experience is not that bad as yours, sorry.

S!

It is not about experiance. Im just compering both simply based on how many things you have to do in both planes to do take off, in spit you are doing only 2 slam throttle to 12lbs and use rudder to keep is straight in bf109 you have to use brakes in this situation. Im just judging dificulty objectively becouse it will help someone which isnt me or you.

Bf 109 is more complex and demanding durign t/o then spitfire same thing when lamnding you have to be extremly precise to keep bf109 in line using only ruddder when slowing down after touch down with corsswind no way that rudder will be enough.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

109 take off is easier than in the spit. Full power, full rudder and at the beginning slight right brake for adjustments. Works perfect.

Spitfire is harder, since you have no tail wheel lock and you have to dance on the rudder.

Exactly you have to use breaks to control plane.

In spit when you trim rudder for t/o you barely need to do anything with rudder, similar in p-51.

For me all war birds are easy and about same level once i learned how to do it. Only i-16 is difficult for me.

Edited by grafspee

Spitfire much easier then bf109. Taxi may be challenging (no tail wheel lock) but take off is piece of cake, you got good rudder authority from very beginning of the roll easy controllable in cross wind t/o etc unlike bf 109 being hard bi..... in this scenarios.

This makes me wonder. How can a plane be much harder than the Spitfire?

Yesterday I tried the three first tutorials for the Spitfire. Very little room for mistake and deviation during take off although I did made it. But here can be mentioned that there is a slider setting to adjust difficulty in this regard which I don't have set to max difficulty. Does the 109 also have such slider ? Landing failed. Very tricky to get speeds and attitude correct. If I plane would be much more difficult than this can anyone learn it ? I think I was asking about the Spitfire in its forum before purchase and was told that it was the most difficult and the P51 the easiest.

When it comes to learning to fly and fight in this plane how difficult is it compared to (two modules I have)

The Spitfire

The P51 Mustang

also consider quality of documentation and tutorials. Btw is the tutorials voiced ?

A lot of confusion among the repliers.. It all depends on YOU and how fast you can learn new stuff. But, it's one thing to take off, land and fly a plane and something else to dogfight in a plane. For dogfighting you must know ALL advantages and disadvantages your plane has compared to the enemy's plane and fly it in that particular envelope, where your plane has the advantages. You'd also need good controllers (stick, throttle, rudders etc) for that to happen.

Have fun!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Do you use breaks during take off when you want to increase the speed ?? :huh:

you have to use right brake to prevent bf109 going off runway, rudder even fully aplied is not enough to keep it on the runway.

That is why i am opting for bf109 one hard to take off, you have to master rudder and you have to know how tap right brake.

Ofc you can t/o without using brake but you have to master throttle increments during take off

I like t/o without brake more

Edited by grafspee

It is not about experiance. Im just compering both simply based on how many things you have to do in both planes to do take off, in spit you are doing only 2 slam throttle to 12lbs and use rudder to keep is straight in bf109 you have to use brakes in this situation. Im just judging dificulty objectively becouse it will help someone which isnt me or you.

Bf 109 is more complex and demanding durign t/o then spitfire same thing when lamnding you have to be extremly precise to keep bf109 in line using only ruddder when slowing down after touch down with corsswind no way that rudder will be enough.

And that's my point, you aren't being "objective", you just tell your struggles while giving as a matter of fact your struggles are everyone's struggles, but they are not as you can see just with everyone answer being different :smilewink:.

Just a tip, in a crosswind it's ailerons you use to counter wind, not rudder :thumbup:. Bf109 rudder could be better but it's good enough.

S!

And that's my point, you aren't being "objective", you just tell your struggles while giving as a matter of fact your struggles are everyone's struggles, but they are not as you can see just with everyone answer being different :smilewink:.

Just a tip, in a crosswind it's ailerons you use to counter wind, not rudder :thumbup:. Bf109 rudder could be better but it's good enough.

S!

let say this bf109 was more deadly to pilots then spitfire during ww2.

I just do it objectively this way i simply count stuff which you need to learn to make it fly

spit you need rudder

bf109 you need ruddder + throttle or brakes

simple as that.

You arent objective too i have no clue why spit would be more dificulty then bf109. When you learn rudder its over you are good to go.

Edited by grafspee

A lot of confusion among the repliers.. It all depends on YOU and how fast you can learn new stuff. But, it's one thing to take off, land and fly a plane and something else to dogfight in a plane. For dogfighting you must know ALL advantages and disadvantages your plane has compared to the enemy's plane and fly it in that particular envelope, where your plane has the advantages. You'd also need good controllers (stick, throttle, rudders etc) for that to happen.

Have fun!

Regarding dogfight I have now also tried the last Spitfire tutorial that covers dogfight. Even that was very tricky since placing the sight dot is difficult. Controlling its placement is very tricky and jerky.

How is the BF109 in this regard ?

You'll have a hard time trying that in the 109 because of the stick forces implemented. Another downside is the missing elevator trim tabs, the way the 109 is trimmed right now has nothing to do with combat, that translates with a lot of nose trimming you have to do.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Regarding dogfight I have now also tried the last Spitfire tutorial that covers dogfight. Even that was very tricky since placing the sight dot is difficult. Controlling its placement is very tricky and jerky.

How is the BF109 in this regard ?

I personally find the aiming less jerky/more fluent than in the Spitfire.

I personally find the aiming less jerky/more fluent than in the Spitfire.

You should use axes curves for the Spit, as it's too sensitive (no stick forces).

Specs:

Settings:

And how should that axes setting be ?
That depends on your stick and your personal taste. No body can tell you what it suited for your hardware. Just try, literally 1 minute :thumbup: .

S!