"Mover" gives his thoughts

Phantom88

thanks Mover!

thanks Phantom88

lots of interesting insights

some things to ask:

@8:54

The comparison of the speedbrakes comming back in between DCS and real F-16 shows a significant difference, means DCS brakes retracted much faster.

Q: W.I.P. or difference between the block variants?

@25:20 Mover said:

"When you're connected [to the boom] he can kind of drive you around..."

Sierra99, a former boom operator IRL also mentioned this before in other AAR threads, and I kept repeating its posts, caus that's a big thing!

Q: Will we get this kind of connection with a boom in DCS?

Because Mover said @26:14 "It [refueling with a boom] is a little bit easier in real life."

• ED Team
thanks Mover!

thanks Phantom88

lots of interesting insights

some things to ask:

The comparison of the speedbrakes comming back in between DCS and real F-16 shows a significant difference, means DCS brakes retracted much faster.

@25:20 Mover said:

"When you're connected [to the boom] he can kind of drive you around..."

Sierra99, a former boom operator IRL also mentioned this before in other AAR threads, and I kept repeating its posts, caus that's a big thing!

Q: Will we get this kind of connection with a boom in DCS?

Because Mover said @26:14 "It [refueling with a boom] is a little bit easier in real life."

Hi

Speed brake speed is already reported.

Boom interaction is on the list for improvement.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

"...refueling in real life is a little easier..."

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

At 19:08 he describes its underpowered (or too draggy). Hopefully fix coming soon.

yeah, she bleeds too much energy and requires too much power to hold certain speeds. REally hoping this is fixed soon.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

In terms of turning it's a little bit too much drag, the biggest difference being around 350 knots IIRC. I will find my test data when I come home. I think Mover meant mil power during level flight though.

Biggest issue atm for me though is the slow G onset rate, and the weird resistance to control inputs in general, which makes the aircraft feel very sluggish and not the crisp maneuverer the real pilots always talk about. But again, it's EA so things are gonna change, I just hope the FM is the first to get attention.

... the weird resistance to control inputs in general, which makes the aircraft feel very sluggish and not the crisp maneuverer the real pilots always talk about.

17:08 uh, pitch is a little sensitive

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

So with +15 (or 0) it's apparently realistic.

No, there's a big difference between sensitivity and max G onset rate mate.

Sensitivity is how gradual you are able to be, whilst I on the other hand am talking about the max G onset rate you can physically have the aircraft attain with an immediate full stick back command (pressure in the case of the F-16).

Atm even the RL training centrifuges are able to put on G's faster than the DCS F-16 is, which is quite telling. The reason for this is probably that ED are using a NASA prototype FLCS control law from the 80's which was never actually used operationally but is well documented. The Blk.50 uses a much newer set of FLCS control laws and the G onset rate is said to be near instant by the Viper jocks I've talked to.

I am talking about sensitivity, not g onset.

I thought you were responding to me talking about G-onset rate. If you just meant the weird resistance to control inputs (which re-reading your post and noting the part you qouted it kinda looks like u were), then ok my mistake I kinda jumped the gun there.

Edited by Hummingbird

My wild guess would be that they retract faster at speed thanks to dynamic air pressure. I never watched them while sitting on the ground in DCS, but I guess there's no difference (yet) in our sim. But as it has been reported already, I'm confident ED will model this in a realistic way.

"...refueling in real life is a little easier..."

Because a sim totally lacks the main flight instrument.

yeah, she bleeds too much energy and requires too much power to hold certain speeds. REally hoping this is fixed soon.

I always had the impression she's being quite fast already. What a plane if it's still underperforming at the moment.

In terms of turning it's a little bit too much drag, the biggest difference being around 350 knots IIRC. I will find my test data when I come home. I think Mover meant mil power during level flight though.

The thing that got me was when he mentioned that he was wiggling the throttle way back of that detent where the handle flips up to get past, so I thought this was less than MIL. Is there something I don't know about the throttle range yet?

17:08 uh, pitch is a little sensitive

At that point I see the nose being dragged down considerably. I get that when I retract gear at low speeds when the flaps raise. However, he did a full AB take off...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

At 19:08 he describes its underpowered (or too draggy). Hopefully fix coming soon.

dang ..if it is draggy right now ...rocket ship inbound jesus!

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Might make a vid....(clean jet around 4000 p of gas)

1. She will take off dirty and do a 180 dirty (keep it under 300kts)

2. She will go 30000 feet if retract early on takeoff and build speed to 400 kts'ish. Burner and straight up.

3. High alpha at 160 kts (use climb tape instead of hud)

4. Fly inverted dirty no prob at level.

5. Requires skill to fly prober (Mover connected on the boom first try ...had he stayed wow)

6. If u come from f-18 or F-14 it is different ...so much lighter clean ...saying it again friggin

rocket ship.

play around with it and go the the edges (we can do that in the sim world :) )

Pure flight wise right now ..it is good fun ...combat wise ..if you know what you are doing and what you are flying ..not bad. We lack a lot of the tech cheats but plane is good and fun

"it can't be done ..maybe in a F-16"

It does come at a price ..it lags legs and get good at refueling ..you'll need it . It east gas like a muscle car ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I recall correctly, he mentioned something similar for the F18. Think he mentions something along the lines of when you go full throttle, it should be quicker than it feels.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Biggest issue atm for me though is the slow G onset rate, and the weird resistance to control inputs in general, which makes the aircraft feel very sluggish and not the crisp maneuverer the real pilots always talk about. But again, it's EA so things are gonna change, I just hope the FM is the first to get attention.

Right? Resistance is one word, it feels like the roll rate is low. I thought it was perhaps a controls issue but i can't tune it out.

My sukhoi is slow at 360 d/s (for an acro prop), but it feels much, much crisper (no way could point rolls in viper as is). The viper should about match that rate clean correct?

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Max roll rate for the F-16 should be 167deg/sec.

167 deg/s is the maximum commanded roll rate under to/land gains.

In cruise gains & CAT I it is able to command a maximum of 324 deg/s for DFLCS. (308 for Analog FLCS). But I read somewhere that a flight test is conducted that aerodynamically it can only achieve 224 deg/s. Cannot find the source ATM.

2074115963_rolllimiter.thumb.jpg.a3e3ac69de4fdb1586580ee57da5acab.jpg

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

Last time a user on the forum tested in game that the Viper is able to make 225 deg/s which is close to what I remember. (ref https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4058491&postcount=1)

However I doubt the roll limiter function block is currently active since when I did my testing in a low dynamic pressure and high AOA condition under CAT I, the aileron is always at maximum deflection which is an indication that the roll limiter doesn't work at all or not in a condition to be activated due to the limited roll rate command still being higher than the current sensed roll rate. Needs to be double checked.

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.