VMFA-251 Thunderbolts Skin Pack!

_mu110_

tv91siG.jpg

This pack contains 5 VMFA-251 Thunderbolts skins, 2 CAG and 2 line skins (with editable modex) from 2001 and 2003, plus 1 bonus generic line skin from 1997.

The Thunderbolts deployed on the USS America and USS George Washington throughout the 1990s flying above Iraq in support of Operation Southern Watch. The pack contains 1 generic line livery (c. 1997) with the AB tailcode of Carrier Air Wing One during their time aboard the George Washington. Correct modex numbers are in the 200 series.

f2ed6LY.jpg

The squadron deployed on the USS Theodore Roosevelt in 2001 and flew missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Included is 1 historically accurate CAG skin (with matching BuNo illuminated inside the cockpit), as well as a generic line skin (c. 2001). They sport the AB tailcode, with modex numbers in the 200 series.

Vg3okbs.jpg

In 2003 the Thunderbolts began their deployment to Al Jaber, Kuwait, returning to Iraqi skies during Operation Iraqi Freedom as part of Marine Aircraft Group Eleven. 1 highly detailed CAG livery (with matching BuNo) and another line skin (c. 2003) are also included in the pack. Their tailcode is DW, correct modex's are in the 200 series.

K1y2CfW.jpg

The liveries all include custom tan flight suits, patches, and helmets, all line skins feature editable modex numbers. Each of the liveries uses a custom roughmet fix that gets rid of the ugly pylon shadows baked into the default textures. You can download this fix standalone here if you wish to apply it to all your other Hornet textures.

GAo0guI.jpg

Download: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3306820/

Note: These skins are cross-linked in order to reduce their size, so make sure you have them all installed in order for each to work properly!

Installation: Copy the three different livery folders included in the download into [YOUR DCS INSTALL]/CoreMods/aircraft/FA-18C/Liveries/FA-18C_hornet folder.

These skins are available for the US faction in game.

Updated on 10/30/19: Improved the weathering and blending of editable modex numbers.

Please do not reupload these skins anywhere without permission.

GJOZus9.jpg

Please let me know if you find any errors with the skin or something else that could be improved. Enjoy!

Edited by _mu110_

AWESOME! Thank you. Downloading now.

Cheers,

F.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 2 months later...
Hey, i really love your Thunderbolts skins !:thumbup:

Could you also do this wonderful paint scheme ?

This livery has been requested previously on the forum, although I don't remember actually seeing it get released ever. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=248616&highlight=vmfa-251

I had actually planned on adding it to the pack as a bonus aircraft but the file would have been too big for the User Files. I've currently got other projects in the works, but maybe if the Thunderbolts skin pack reaches 500 downloads I'll create this one and add it in or just upload it on its own, I am definitely a big fan of this paint scheme.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@_mu110_  I created one over the weekend.  I am not an expert by any means, but I am pretty damn happy with the way it came out.

This is BUNO 161961.  It was the first hornet in 251.  It arrived in '86.  The skin is not what it looked liked in 86, but in early 88.  LtCol Bob "Dog" Maddocks was the CO in 88, just prior to us deploying to the WestPac, so I put his name and callsign on it to honor him.  What a great leader!  Unfortunately, we did not take 161961 with us overseas.  We transferred it prior to.

I uploaded the skin to the user files.  Once it is approved, it should be available if you are interested.

161961 01 Dog_c.png

161961 01 Dog_e.png

161961 01 Dog_d.png

Edited by Chewmann