New sounds discussion

As you may have noticed, we got new sounds in the latest patch 31st october 2019.

Overall, I think it is a very positive development and the flybys especially sounds great. Good job on the guys implementing new samples!

However, I notice that when changing from low to high boost (Running up the engine) as well as reducing boost, there is a VERY noticable "gear change" as it jumps from one sound sample to another.

Try standing on the ground, fine pitch, brakes in and increase and lower boost and listen yourself. This is also just as noticable in external view.

Can someone confirm? For me it is very noticable, but if people don't get my point I will make a video.

Just want to pitch in (no pun intended) to make our beloved Spit IX the best she can be in DCS:)

I run Jafa's sounds, but I'll take a listen.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quite honestly, the engine noise from the cockpit now sounds as if the Merlin has dropped a crankshaft and is about to rattle itself to pieces. It sounds rough.

Was that the intention? :noexpression:

I agree, but everyone else thinks it's great...

so there's a reason

*update*

* Changed the frequency to more mid in my Odyssey headphones and it sounds very good now. Those don't fit well and you miss a lot, so I had them low trying to add some body... but, This update is great, have found the true power band now, and the prop sound is glorious. Also the exhaust roar can be felt behind the centerline, just great. As Reflected says, Thank you ED for your efforts and results, nice. *

Edited by wuffman
settings

• ED Team
Quite honestly, the engine noise from the cockpit now sounds as if the Merlin has dropped a crankshaft and is about to rattle itself to pieces. It sounds rough.

Was that the intention? :noexpression:

The sound in the cockpit is based on the sounds we recorded from a real spitfire IX cockpit. it sounds exactly as implemented.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

I noticed one wierd thing, i run out of gas but engine sound still remained as combustion was still going on(out side sounds are splited to 3 areas frontal back and side, frontal and back went silent but side sound was still loud as combustion was still going on but i was out of gass completely.). Overall sounds are realy great.

Same thing happen when in flight you pull mixture cut off no change in side sound.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Are you sure this is the sound of an engine, not a propeller?

If it is, it is much louder then prop sound from front or back then.

Oh i like this new cocpit sound of p-51 too :) In closed cannopy wow :) that is nice sound :)

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team
If it is, it is much louder then prop sound from front or back then.

Oh i like this new cocpit sound of p-51 too :) In closed cannopy wow :) that is nice sound :)

Thanks )

The sound of the propeller goes in all directions and it is much louder on the side than in the front and back. Perhaps you hear it. But I will recheck yet, thanks for the report

Best regards,

New sounds are wonderful! I've never seen a Merlin Spitfire in person before but in third person view it sounds exactly like the P-51s I've seen at idle, taking off, flying by, etc. The cockpit sounds wonderful too; I haven't gotten to fly in a P-51, but I got to ride in one when it was doing a post-maintenance ground run and it sounds very close to that (though slightly different since it's a Mustang and not a spit obviously :P). Thanks so much though, simply flying around is even more enjoyable now! :D

Thanks )

The sound of the propeller goes in all directions and it is much louder on the side than in the front and back. Perhaps you hear it. But I will recheck yet, thanks for the report

Thanks, it is only small thing, i just noticed it only becouse i run out of gas :P

New sounds are wonderful! I've never seen a Merlin Spitfire in person before but in third person view it sounds exactly like the P-51s I've seen at idle, taking off, flying by, etc. The cockpit sounds wonderful too; I haven't gotten to fly in a P-51, but I got to ride in one when it was doing a post-maintenance ground run and it sounds very close to that (though slightly different since it's a Mustang and not a spit obviously :P). Thanks so much though, simply flying around is even more enjoyable now! :D

P-51 get sound update too :) i like it :)

One thing I find distracting with the new in-cockpit sound is that there is a 2-second loop for me, especially noticeable when in full rpm and full boost.

It seems to be the file ExIn4.wav which is 8 seconds long but has a little variation roughly every 2 seconds...

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Love the new sounds - now I can remove Mustang and Spit mods from my OvGME repository for good.

New P-51 sounds are a nice surprise, they're not just "slightly modified" as BTD said in other post, it's a pretty big overhaul of most of the cockpit samples! I think I even like them a little bit more than Spit's ones - the reason is the latter might still need some minor tweaks:

a) there seems to be a bit of a mid-frequency background looping noise at mid-to-high RPM and boost. The puzzling thing is, it seems to be prevalent in right channel when looking straight ahead, never in the left one. It's hard to pin down, however - I can hear it on my headphones, but I understand it might not be audible on other hardware. No such issue in the P-51.

b) low RPM and boost engine and prop samples are noticeably more quiet than the old ones, I think maybe a bit too quiet? When on the ground, with canopy closed, at between 1000 and 1300 RPM the booster pump is as loud as the engine, while switches in the cockpit are even louder! @BTD - is it how it's supposed to be? With canopy open the situation is better, although the volume is still quite low and it's not until 1500 RPM when It gets more noticeable.

There are also various sound issues in both P-51 and Spit when turning the engine off in flight, but I think these can be investigated later.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The sound in the cockpit is based on the sounds we recorded from a real spitfire IX cockpit. it sounds exactly as implemented.

Apologies, the problem seems to be with me. I listened to Phil Style's recording, and it sounds amazing.

I'm using a Thrustmaster T-flight headset, and it sounds quite different, and a bit flat. I turn my head, and I get no change...so it appears that I've only got mono for some reason. :helpsmilie:

• ED Team
One thing I find distracting with the new in-cockpit sound is that there is a 2-second loop for me, especially noticeable when in full rpm and full boost.

It seems to be the file ExIn4.wav which is 8 seconds long but has a little variation roughly every 2 seconds...

Thanks. Please try replacing the file ExIn4.wav with this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wujrhw3wtjltrpt/ExIn4.wav?dl=0

Best regards,

Thanks. Please try replacing the file ExIn4.wav with this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wujrhw3wtjltrpt/ExIn4.wav?dl=0

Yes, that's much better - thank you! :thumbup:

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

• ED Team
Yes, that's much better - thank you! :thumbup:

Nice. It will appear in next updates.

a) there seems to be a bit of a mid-frequency background looping noise at mid-to-high RPM and boost. The puzzling thing is, it seems to be prevalent in right channel when looking straight ahead, never in the left one. It's hard to pin down, however - I can hear it on my headphones, but I understand it might not be audible on other hardware. No such issue in the P-51.

We have some problems with panning in the sound engine in the cockpit, which we know how to solve, but unfortunately it takes a lot of time, which our main programmers don't have yet :) But I hope they get to that soon too)

b) low RPM and boost engine and prop samples are noticeably more quiet than the old ones, I think maybe a bit too quiet? When on the ground, with canopy closed, at between 1000 and 1300 RPM the booster pump is as loud as the engine, while switches in the cockpit are even louder! @BTD - is it how it's supposed to be? With canopy open the situation is better, although the volume is still quite low and it's not until 1500 RPM when It gets more noticeable.

The sound range is limited to 0dB. This is the main reason. In real life, we can hear the difference between loud, very loud, and "AaaAaaAa my eardrums burst I can't hear anything!!!", there are no limitations. But we have limitations in sound cards and speakers that we cannot jump through.

And to show the huge difference between idle and maximum, we have to lower the idle volume. Despite the fact that the idle mode seems quiet, the difference between it and the maximum should be 2 or even more times higher than it is in DCS. This is a very difficult balance.

So we make a believable sound. And you can reduce the volume of the switches in the audio settings (it seems to me that this feature has not yet been included in the beta, but it will be soon)

Edited by btd

Best regards,

Despite the fact that the idle mode seems quiet, the difference between it and the maximum should be 2 or even more times higher than it is in DCS. This is a very difficult balance.

So we make a believable sound. And you can reduce the volume of the switches in the audio settings (it seems to me that this feature has not yet been included in the beta, but it will be soon)

That what i thought. Idle is quiet to show how much louder is max power.

I have just tried a flight with SPitfire after the last update, the sounds have improved a lot in the cockpit and on the outside from the static view but on the contrary if you stand outside and watch a replay like "aishow style" through the external view "F3", as the plane moves away from you you hear the roar of a jet plane !!!!

what the **** ???

Please fix it and it's ridiculous to say the least !!!