Understanding AIM-7 Behaviour

Belphe

Hi,

I was testing AIM-7M's after the patch and noticed the following happen:

1. Acquired SST lock.

2. Launched the missile.

3. RIO reported loosing lock

4. Diamond dosappeared but the target was still being marked by a cross with a dot.

5. Missile hit.

Why did the missile destroy its target? I thought Fox 1 missiles required constant lock until impact. I understand the lock was lost but the radar kept "seeing" the target in some sort of TWS? How come this was enough to guide the missile? Didn't that Sparrow behave like an AMRAAM?

Thanks!

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The radar switches to Flood-Mode when it looses lock.

In this mode it just floods an area in front of the plane and the missile follows the reflection of an object inside this flooded area.

But it could also be that the lock was just temporarily lost and reacquired quickly enough for the missile to track the target and hit it (the fact that the lock-marker in the HUD was still there points to this possibility).

In the F-15 you can manually select flood mode at any time (even prior to launch) and shoot Sparrows in that mode. In the F-14 flood mode can not be selected manually, but it will automatically be selcted when a Sparrow is still in the air when the the radar looses its lock.

Edit: I just noticed this is not correct. See correction below.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have to correct my previous comment: As Xenovia has pointed out already, the flood mode in the Tomcat actually can be commanded manually, by flipping the boresight mode switch...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi,

I was testing AIM-7M's after the patch and noticed the following happen:

1. Acquired SST lock.

2. Launched the missile.

3. RIO reported loosing lock

4. Diamond dosappeared but the target was still being marked by a cross with a dot.

5. Missile hit.

Why did the missile destroy its target? I thought Fox 1 missiles required constant lock until impact. I understand the lock was lost but the radar kept "seeing" the target in some sort of TWS? How come this was enough to guide the missile? Didn't that Sparrow behave like an AMRAAM?

Thanks!

That symbol means there was also a TCS track on target at that moment.

(Although the TCS doesn't provide any form of guidance to the AIM-7, in that case it's useful as visual cue to where to point the Radar, or Boresight, to try and get a lock again.)

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

That symbol means there was also a TCS track on target at that moment.

(Although the TCS doesn't provide any form of guidance to the AIM-7, in that case it's useful as visual cue to where to point the Radar, or Boresight, to try and get a lock again.)

yep.

Is there a way to manually unlock the TCS?

Edited by Banzaiib

Note that is also semi-active. Such missiles do maintain a limited ability to self guide themselves under optimum conditions and very close to the target - please don't ask me for values.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/