PC upgrade confusion

Hi guys!!!

My current configuration is:

Pentium G4560

8 gb Ram

GPU GTX 750

Now, i'd want to upgrade this configuration as fps are going down...

What would you recommend?

How do you see a RTX 2060 with my cpu?

G4560 should have the same single core performance as a ryzen 5 2600...

Is it a completely wrong direction??

Thanks in advance...

I wouldn't bother going past a GTX 1080 and even then, only for more vram. There is no Raytracing in DCS so RTX doesn't do much for you. And really, even a 1660 is going to probably push the limit of your RAM and Cache. Buy More RAM!!

I'm running a GTX 780 in 1080p right now and it's ok but I have 40 GB of RAM. and the bigger Cache of an i7 6700K. My choke point is definitely VRAM right now. But you definitely don't want to have close to or more VRAM than RAM.

My suggestion is split your money on RAM and a GTX 10 or 16 series. Your pentium can take 64 GB with the right Motherboard.

Edited by RustBelt

Thanks for your response!!!

In your experience, going to 16-32 gb of RAM and adding a GTX 1660, how many FPS could i obtain with this CPU??

I will play on a 1080p monitor, no VR. I would like to pump up eye candies a bit!

PS: on a side, if i wanted to change my CPU (and m/b) with a beefier one, just to have more power, what could i choose?? My entire budget is around 700-800 $. I'm interested in the following ones:

- AMD Ryzen 5 2600

- i3 9350K

Thanks

Given you say you have a budget of 700-800 to spend I would suggest doing a complete platform upgrade. I just don't see much point on sticking with the old dual core (albeit with hyperthreading), by putting more money into it with more RAM and so on. You could keep certain components to take over into your new build such as case, PSU, and possibly even the memory as I think that intel platform could use DDR4 memory. For a decent value build I would be looking at:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6 cors/12 threads, includes it's own adequate CPU cooler)

Motherboard - MSI B450 like the Tomahawk Max

GPU - AMD RX590 or Nvidia 1660 series (Ti or Super). Also AMD 5500 series GPU should be out soon and could be a good value for money proposition as they will replace the ageing RX570-590's I think.

RAM - 16GB (2 x 8GB kit) of at least 3200Mhz speed

Storage - make sure your OS and games are on a SATA SSD, not an old mechanical style drive

PSU - so long as a decent brand name of around 500 to 550w 80 plus.

I am guessing you are gaming at 1080p resolution given your current low spec GPU?

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Given you say you have a budget of 700-800 to spend I would suggest doing a complete platform upgrade. I just don't see much point on sticking with the old dual core (albeit with hyperthreading), by putting more money into it with more RAM and so on. You could keep certain components to take over into your new build such as case, PSU, and possibly even the memory as I think that intel platform could use DDR4 memory. For a decent value build I would be looking at:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6 cors/12 threads, includes it's own adequate CPU cooler)

Motherboard - MSI B450 like the Tomahawk Max

GPU - AMD RX590 or Nvidia 1660 series (Ti or Super). Also AMD 5500 series GPU should be out soon and could be a good value for money proposition as they will replace the ageing RX570-590's I think.

RAM - 16GB (2 x 8GB kit) of at least 3200Mhz speed

Storage - make sure your OS and games are on a SATA SSD, not an old mechanical style drive

PSU - so long as a decent brand name of around 500 to 550w 80 plus.

I am guessing you are gaming at 1080p resolution given your current low spec GPU?

Thank you! That is an interesting configuration!!!

I've already game and os on a sata SSD.

And yes, i'm gaming at 1080p. Remaining with that resolution, can i have a decent amount of FPS with this type of build??

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

I have never heard of that PSU so to be on safe side get a new one. And your motherboard is also a no go as an upgrade path. Definitely suggest you build a new system from scratch. This video gives you a good idea of what you can do with 700-800 USD. You could save some money by keeping your SATA SSD and possibly your computer case. Out of interest what is your PC case?

Edited by Konovalov

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

I have never heard of that PSU so to be on safe side get a new one. And your motherboard is also a no go as an upgrade path. Definitely suggest you build a new system from scratch. This video gives you a good idea of what you can do with 700-800 USD. You could save some money by keeping your SATA SSD and possibly your computer case. Out of interest what is your PC case?

My case is an Antec vsk 3000

Garbage PSU= 3 year warranty

Cheap PSU= 5 year

Good and very good PSU= 7-10 year

Hulk= 12+ year

A 650w (Tier 3) with a 7 year warranty.

Seasonic Focus, Focus Plus, and more. Corsair VX, TX, TX V2, TXM. Anything OEM of Seasonic or Super Flower (Europe, Asia). Flextronics, Channel Well and Sirtec are good too. https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

For a ryzen 5 3600 and a gtx 1660ti what wattage you suggest?
A solid 550w can do the job but you will not be able to upgrade later with a bigger CPU and GPU.
Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

My case is an Antec vsk 3000
I'd do the same with that as Demon suggested to do with your PSU. Unless you have a relative to give your old PC away to.

I bought for my son a budget case in the Phanteks P300 which I slotted in my old X58 Intel i7-950 system in. It's a great modern looking case with tempered glass side panel, dust filters, front USB3 connectors and enough room for a modern ATX system build. Cost is around USD $65. Would probably be best getting an extra 120mm fan to mount as front intake as only comes with a single 120mm exhaust fan. Check out

to give you an idea of the P300 and what you can get for the money these days.

Also the advise by Demon on PSU's is spot on. No need for anything over 550-650w in power.

A 650w (Tier 3) with a 7 year warranty. Seasonic Focus, Focus Plus, and more. Corsair VX, TX, TX V2, TXM. Anything OEM of Seasonic or Super Flower (Europe, Asia)

So really the only component inside your pc worth keeping is probably the SSD.

I can't say any FPS number because there's way too many stupid variables in a system. What I can say is you'll be looking at moving the bottleneck to your processor which is a good place to be overall. You Ideally want a little room on the Videocard which means a strong card and to not have it fight the CPU for RAM. But only a little, you start throwing away money pretty quick once you Videocard out your CPU. CPU's are always cheaper than big videocards these days.

Right now your Motherboard can take 32 GB of ram. You might consider a Z280 chipset motherboard to get better performance out of the Bus. Those will work with both your current CPU, and most i3, i5, i7's through 7000-8000 series. And you'll be able to go up to 64 GB of ram if you felt like going nuts.

It's a bit dated, but I like to refer to this https://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html for system building sims. You can extrapolate up to current stuff fairly well still, since it deal in how the system works together more than just a shopping list of "best parts". Yes it's huge, but it works.

The only other real option is build Wags' system https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3729544#post3729544. Because that's the one DCS is built "around" and so a perfect clone of that will work well obviously.

Edited by RustBelt

As for a completely new system, what you say of this?

Intel I3 9100f

MSI H310 M/B

32GB Ram @ 2400 Mhz

GTX 1660 ti 6 Gb Ram

With a system of this kind, can i play at 1080p in a satisfactory way?

Can i reach, to say, 60/70 FPS?

Thank you...

Why buy a Processor that can take 64 MB of ram and stick it on a Motherboard that can only take 32? DCS isn't going to get less bloated. Optimization is NOT a primary objective for ED or third party. And for that matter windows 10 isn't dropping any pounds either.

Always consider building for the next year or two ahead, not just right now. In 2 years do you want to have to revamp a whole system again, or just buy a part or two?

Future you will probably be glad you spent an extra $50 on a motherboard that can take 4 slots of memory over 2. Especially if you buy new enough ram that you can still buy and match with the units you already have in two banks of two sticks each. Consider something more in the 3200 Mhz range.

And finally, don't be in a rush to buy the newest CPU. Usually for close to the same money you can get a year or two old better CPU.

As for FPS, again lots of factors, what planes are you flying? A Flaming Cliff model like the F-15 doesn't need anywhere near the horsepower of something like the F-14 Tomcat. online or off, weather or Clear skies only, can you only live with 4x MSAA or higher? DCS has a lot going on in the "background" all Flight Sims do, especially with how DCS models radar and flight/systems models, the better your CPU/Motherboard/RAM can take care of that the more performance will you be able to realize out of the video card.

That system somehow makes my stomach go ehhhh.

If you would spend a little more on the CPU you could get a much better system down the timeline. 4 cores is outdated and even DCS will tab into more cores once Vulkan is introduced, maybe mid-end 2020 I assume, and we already have Nov. 2019.

I would check out a Ryzen 2600 or 2600X and a B450 motherboard, 32GB RAM in the 3200MHz range, that would get you much further for an additional 50-75€.

Alternatively, if you dont like AMD, Intel also has good CPU's for a little more money. Just AMD delivers more cores and a working SMT without security flaws that once patched slow down your system here and there a little.

just my 2 cents

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Agree with Bit. My feelings on your new proposed build were the same. Do not, I repeat, do not build a new system around a 2 or 4 core system. If you cannot afford a 3rd generation Ryzen 3 system then go for what Bitmaster has recommended above. A 6 core/12 thread system build will give far greater longevity that a 2 or 4 core system. Then you can simply upgrade the GPU in 2-3 years time if required.