[LATER IN EARLY ACCESS]Data link should be a priority for next patch

Hummingbird

Saying this as it's quite crucial in order to stay competitive on most MP servers, thus I hope DL will be one of the next features added the soonest.

EDIT: Since the title can be misleading, I mean prioritized alongside fixing what's already in ofcourse.

Edited by Hummingbird

Saying this as it's quite crucial in order to stay competitive on most MP servers, thus I hope DL will be one of the next features added the soonest.

Datalink is handy and all but vipers did fine with rudimentary datalink for 25 years. Besides being listed as phase two early access, there’s some pretty fundamental things need fixing that I imagine are higher on the priority list

Agree that the SA it adds is hard to live without once accustomed to it

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Guys RWS and SAM are both incomplete at the moment. Rather they take their time to fix, improve and flesh out existing features. They'll get to Link 16 in-time.
I'm with you on this.

Let them finish and complete existing features first then add something new. The Viper is already deadly machine if you fly it right, quite competitive in MP even without DL and TWS.

I also understand the desire of link 16 in our Viper and dare to say its more important than TWS IMHO. Knowing is a power.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Why don't we just let them take their time on improving the module instead of rushing things with weird priorities from the community rather than the official development cycle of the module itself? That would prove to be more beneficial than logging onto the forums to complain about your missing A/G radar when we are still lacking a majority of weapon release modes for various weapons like the JDAM, JSOW, etc.

I would venture to say if 'staying competitive on most MP servers' is important to you, you may like to look at an aircraft that is not freshly released in a very early WIP state.

You may also like to work on improving your own SA abilities in the cockpit by using the tools available to you currently in the Viper, such as RWR, Radar, Radio, eyeballs etc.

I can assure you it is possible to stay alive and 'competitive' in real life by using these 'tools' when your data link system (Link-11 in my personal experience) is not functioning correctly - which was a lot in our case!

All just IMHO. ED probably want to concentrate on core features of the aircraft before implementing things such as data-link.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would venture to say if 'staying competitive on most MP servers' is important to you, you may like to look at an aircraft that is not freshly released in a very early WIP state.

You may also like to work on improving your own SA abilities in the cockpit by using the tools available to you currently in the Viper, such as RWR, Radar, Radio, eyeballs etc.

I can assure you it is possible to stay alive and 'competitive' in real life by using these 'tools' when your data link system (Link-11 in my personal experience) is not functioning correctly - which was a lot in our case!

All just IMHO. ED probably want to concentrate on core features of the aircraft before implementing things such as data-link.

^ this

There are other things that should have priority over DL imo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally hope DL is low on the priority list, would much rather have a SAM that doesn't spike a target and the drag/thrust looked at.
There's a discussion on this forum about whether the SAM mode tagging should triggers RWR. I asked around on "other sim" discord and mostly agree it should not gives lock tone warning beyond certain range. Untill real pilot or ED themself can confirm it we just merely make a guess imo.

Sorry for little bit OT. Carry on gents.

Edited by Oceandar

• ED Team

Hi all

DATA link will be later in early access, as mentioned in the planned features it will be part of phase 2

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241132

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Obviously fixing things already implemented is first priority, never insinuated otherwise. I was just saying that I hope they prioritize DL as the first of any new features they will add.

As for people saying the F-16 is plenty competitive without, my bet is they don't fly very much MP. Atm F-16's are considered easy bait for Su27/J11's, F/A-18's and F-14's due solely to lacking DL. I don't have count on the amount of F-16's I've so far snuck up on in MP since its release, it's incredibly easy. And truth be told the only time I've been shot down by an F-16 so far is when I was in an F-16 myself.

Sure you can fight without DL, I managed 8 kills for 4 losses in the F-16 the other day, but tbh it was more down to a saturation of targets for the enemies than anything else, allowing me to escape extra attention.

A proper working SAM mode, TWS and so forth will ofcourse greatly help, but nothing beats the SA and stealthyness that DL provides a pilot ingame atm.

Obviously fixing things already implemented is first priority, never insinuated otherwise. I was just saying that I hope they prioritize DL as the first of any new features they will add.

As for people saying the F-16 is plenty competitive without, my bet is they don't fly very much MP. Atm F-16's are considered easy bait for Su27/J11's, F/A-18's and F-14's due solely to lacking DL. I don't have count on the amount of F-16's I've so far snuck up on in MP since its release, it's incredibly easy. And truth be told the only time I've been shot down by an F-16 so far is when I was in an F-16 myself.

Sure you can fight without DL, I managed 8 kills for 4 losses in the F-16 the other day, but tbh it was more down to a saturation of targets for the enemies than anything else, allowing me to escape extra attention.

A proper working SAM mode, TWS and so forth will ofcourse greatly help, but nothing beats the SA and stealthyness that DL provides a pilot ingame atm.

Oh please..... I myself only play MP. I managed to have pretty good kill ratio in popular server in the Viper. I've even seen someone had impressive score in a single sortie in the Viper. He managed to kill 6 (all human players in PvP server) with all missiles Viper can carry and safely rtb.

And you know what amusing is? Some people even say in this current condition the Viper is already an OP lol.

DL is only a tool and in the end its the Pilot skill that matter.

Edited by Oceandar

Oh please..... I myself only play MP. I managed to have pretty good kill ratio in popular server in the Viper. I've even seen someone had impressive score in a single sortie in the Viper. He managed to kill 6 (all human players in PvP server) with all missiles Viper can carry and safely rtb.

And you know what amusing is? Some people even say in this current condition the Viper is already an OP lol.

DL is only a tool and in the end its the Pilot skill that matter.

If they say that it is indeed very amusing.

You cannot however deny that the Viper is at a distinct disadvantage atm due to lacking not only DL, but also TWS as well as a working SAM mode. Hence if you're having great success in the Viper online atm then you have to be doing everything right whilst the opposition is doing everything wrong.

Like I said, I haven't been shot down by a Viper yet in any other aircraft than a Viper. I have on the other hand shot down a lot of Vipers myself so far, and most had no clue I was there until they heard the missile launch warning sound.

Once the Viper gets a working SAM mode, TWS and finally Data Link 16 it will be a very formidable fighter however. Lookig forward to that.

It was people on GS discord. I saw you fly on GS server several times. Just join their discord for more amusement lol.

Yeah, the other day an exclusive J11 player was complaining that the F-15 was completely OP every way, which I admit made me chuckle quite a bit :D

I usually play RED side myself, primarily for the F-14 to begin with, but now also to fly J11/Su27 which is super effective (mainly due to its EO + DL combo), and the F-15 is the very least of my worries :D (alongside the F-16 atm, but that's going to change big time once it gets SAM mode, TWS & esp. DL)

On a sidenote I managed a 6-0 score with the F-16 on GS last night, purely fighting F/A-18's, so that made me a little proud of myself :P

Main recipe was finding a spot where I could hide from their AWACS (and thus DL) and spot them as they flew past, meanwhile the place had to be big enough that I could keep circling in there and only pop up for a short view of anything coming up. So you can succeed without DL and an atm less than stellar radar, it's just very much a "one trick pony" kind of thing, and like I mentioned earlier you have to do everything right and rely on them doing quite a bit wrong (not checking valleys or paying close enough attention to short RWR pings etc).

Anyway I will keep on practicing in the F-16 so that once SAM mode, TWS & finally DL arrives I should be able to rather comfortably achieve a positive kill loss ratio without too much effort.

• 3 weeks later...
Is the DL of the Viper compatible with the F/A-18, A-10 and others (which?)?

In a way to have Hornets, Vipers and A-10s in the same flight for example? Or to see on which bandit a Hornet is locked-on e.g.?

Wags said that the Hornet and Viper can be donors for each other in response to a Youtube comment on the topic, so sounds like it's a no for the last two questions. I don't think we'll be able to custom create DL flights in the Viper (otherwise Wags would have showed us how), so it'll probably use the mission editor flights like the Hornet does already to determine who your wingmen are in DL.