Cage/Uncage HUD

Watching YouTube tutorials on carrier landings, and they talk about caging and uncaging the HUD. I can't find anything about that particular wording, but in Chuck's F/A18 guide, this is mentioned:

The HMD (Helmet-Mounted Display) can be used by turning the HMD Brightness Control Switch to BRT.

Is this what caging is, turning on and off the helmet mounted display?

• Like 1

-= Gary =-

a.k.a. Florida - Current DCS Beta, A-10C II Warthog, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16, F-14B Tomcat, P-51D, Spitfire, Track IR, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Throttle Quadrant, Razer Orb Weaver, X-Box controller

:pilotfly:

CAGE/UNCAGE button [C]. This switch has multiple functions that depend on the active system or

weapon.

NAV Mode. Used to cage or uncage the velocity vector on the HUD.

• A/A Mode, AIM-9. Controls sidewinder seeker position. AIM-9 seeker head is boresighted

until L&S designation, then it is slaved to the L&S. Pressing the cage button with an L&S,

toggles the seeker head between the L&S and boresight. Pressing and holding the cage

button with the AIM-9 seeker head in boresight, then maneuvering the aircraft to point at a

target heat source, achieving AIM-9 tone rise, then releasing the cage button will result

in AIM-9 seeker head tracking the heat source to the gimbals of the missile.

• A/A Mode, AIM-7. In A/A mode with Sparrow missile selected, commands radar into STT

on the L and S target.

• A/G Mode, Maverick. Controls seeker head lock-on, cage and un-cage function.

Manual p.61

To simplify, caging means returning to the center or default position and this applies to HUD/TGP camera/missile sensors. Uncaging means the camera or sensor or HUD display is free to move around.

• Thanks 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

On case 1 its helpful so you could see the velocity vector when you do the brake. Thats all.

Or with very strong winds, to be able to appropriately judge said crosswind and the effect it has on your aircraft's velocity vector, even when on straight and level approach to airfield (or carrier).

Cheers,

Don

• Thanks 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Manual p.61

"• A/A Mode, AIM-9. Controls sidewinder seeker position. AIM-9 seeker head is boresighted

until L&S designation, then it is slaved to the L&S. Pressing the cage button with an L&S,

toggles the seeker head between the L&S and boresight. Pressing and holding the cage

button with the AIM-9 seeker head in boresight, then maneuvering the aircraft to point at a

target heat source, achieving AIM-9 tone rise, then releasing the cage button will result

in AIM-9 seeker head tracking the heat source to the gimbals of the missile."

Interesting, I don't find I need to press and hold the cage button to keep the seeker head in boresight. Once I have a target heat source nose on I uncage. It will lock and continue to track.

Interesting, I don't find I need to press and hold the cage button to keep the seeker head in boresight. Once I have a target heat source nose on I uncage. It will lock and continue to track.

My understanding is that holding the button basically tells the seeker head to look where you're looking rather than at a L&S target or boresight. If you're using it with no target locked and maneuvering to place a target inside the seeker circle on boresight in the HUD then you won't need to hold it - you're bringing the target to the seeker.

If you use JHMCS, then holding cage will cause the seeker to look at your targeting cue, allowing you to lock targets off boresight.

If you use JHMCS, then holding cage will cause the seeker to look at your targeting cue, allowing you to lock targets off boresight.

With the Aim-9x, correct sir. Get those good off boresight shots in that way.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

My understanding is that holding the button basically tells the seeker head to look where you're looking rather than at a L&S target or boresight. If you're using it with no target locked and maneuvering to place a target inside the seeker circle on boresight in the HUD then you won't need to hold it - you're bringing the target to the seeker.

Thanks for the clarification!

"L&S target or boresight" isn't boresight where you are looking?

Edited by fitness88

When going into a turn blinding for example the aim-9 on the right wing does it automatically select the one on the left wing?

Can't say that I have ever experienced a missile coming off a wing and going thru the airframe - if that is the true question.... The AIM-9x is quite maneuverable, so even from the "opposite wing" - it quickly negotiates an intercept course for the target.

Cheers,

Don

Can't say that I have ever experienced a missile coming off a wing and going thru the airframe - if that is the true question.... The AIM-9x is quite maneuverable, so even from the "opposite wing" - it quickly negotiates an intercept course for the target.

Cheers,

Don

I think the question was related to the seeker being able to see through the airframe, which, in my experience, it does in DCS. Last time I tried, I could lock a target on my left with the AIM-9X on the right wingtip (HOBS mode without radar lock), my own aircraft clearly blocking the seeker from seeing the target.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I think the question was related to the seeker being able to see through the airframe, which, in my experience, it does in DCS. Last time I tried, I could lock a target on my left with the AIM-9X on the right wingtip (HOBS mode without radar lock), my own aircraft clearly blocking the seeker from seeing the target.

Ah, if that was the question - yes, you are correct. It will lock from the opposite side of the aircraft.

Cheers,

Don

With the Aim-9x, correct sir. Get those good off boresight shots in that way.

JHMCS works off-boresight for the AIM-9M as well, it just as a much smaller field of view.

Thanks for the clarification!

"L&S target or boresight" isn't boresight where you are looking?

Boresight is a fixed angle dead ahead of the aircraft. With no L&S target selected by the radar, the small circle on the HUD is boresight.

JHMCS works off-boresight for the AIM-9M as well, it just as a much smaller field of view.

Correct, my “go to” of choice for wing stations.

Cheers,

Don

• 1 year later...

Can someone tell me what the default hotas or keyboard button is to uncage the Aim 9x on the F18? Lost bindings somehow, and after buddy sent me their default I can't find it.  Thought it just used to be keyboard C but tats not working now.  Thanks!

6D80k38.jpg

1 hour ago, j-tk said:

Can someone tell me what the default hotas or keyboard button is to uncage the Aim 9x on the F18? Lost bindings somehow, and after buddy sent me their default I can't find it.  Thought it just used to be keyboard C but tats not working now.  Thanks!

It is C.  I have it mapped to a rocker switch on my WH throttle.  Do you see it in the list of keyboard commands?