Nevada terrain crashing game Help!! newbie needing some help.

Grits26

Hello All,

I am absolutely new to DCS, but not sims, however I am a novice with computers, knowing enough to be dangerous.

That being said, I have downloaded the latest version of DCS, some aircraft modules, and have enjoyed the learning curve as I go. I was able to program my hotas system, and all was good. The issue being my C drive ran out of room after purchasing the Nevada terrain, where initially it would not download.

my stepson moved everything to my E drive, which is a little slower being mechanical, but plenty of room with 1 TB storage. After the move, the game worked fine, just loaded a bit slower than the SSD it had been on, which was expected. I detected no issues what so ever.

The issue I'm having is when I went to download the Nevada terrain, i wasnt able to change the directory path to the E drive, as It had been previously downloaded (but not installed) to the C drive. Regardless of this, the terrain did download, with some parts into the E drive. when I start the game, it shows, but I am unable to go into the terrain, for example, doing an instant mission in FC3 using the Nevada terrain will start the load, but when it gets to a certain point, it crashes.

I will attach the log showing the issues.

I could reinstall the game/modules, but I dont want to run into the same issue, with the automatic download going to C drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated, This is over my abilities to troubleshoot on a computer.

thank you in advance.

dcs.log-20191106-215936.zip

Hello All,

I am absolutely new to DCS, but not sims, however I am a novice with computers, knowing enough to be dangerous.

That being said, I have downloaded the latest version of DCS, some aircraft modules, and have enjoyed the learning curve as I go. I was able to program my hotas system, and all was good. The issue being my C drive ran out of room after purchasing the Nevada terrain, where initially it would not download.

my stepson moved everything to my E drive, which is a little slower being mechanical, but plenty of room with 1 TB storage. After the move, the game worked fine, just loaded a bit slower than the SSD it had been on, which was expected. I detected no issues what so ever.

The issue I'm having is when I went to download the Nevada terrain, i wasnt able to change the directory path to the E drive, as It had been previously downloaded (but not installed) to the C drive. Regardless of this, the terrain did download, with some parts into the E drive. when I start the game, it shows, but I am unable to go into the terrain, for example, doing an instant mission in FC3 using the Nevada terrain will start the load, but when it gets to a certain point, it crashes.

I will attach the log showing the issues.

I could reinstall the game/modules, but I don't want to run into the same issue, with the automatic download going to C drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated, This is over my abilities to troubleshoot on a computer.

thank you in advance.

Might be one for BIGNEWY, But I will try:

1. It is obvious by your log that the nevada terrain is not totally installed at (E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\Terrain\Nevada), (Full install should be roughly (33.8 GB (36,378,853,507 bytes) = 1,316 Files, 95 Folders) as is reporting missing components.
  2. Post your "autoupdate_log.txt" from the DCS root folder (E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World) so we can see what the updater is doing, and where it might be pointing to put the downloaded files.
  3. May sure there is enough free space available on your C: drive as DCS does make some temp files on there every time you run a mission (A few hundred megabytes or more).
  4. Look for a "_downloads" folder in your DCS root folder (E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\_downloads), this is where the updater should install all update files temporarily until it completes the update successfully.
  5. You may have to delete this "_downloads" and / or the "Nevada folder from "E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\Terrain" and then run the DCS repair tool to re-download the whole nevada map again, but this is why I want to see the "Autoupdate_log.txt" first so I can see where it is likely to put the downloads.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Ivan,

Thank you for your input, i wasn't sure which file I needed to upload, I will post the additional file tomorrow, I'm away from my computer at the moment. I have about 800 GB free space on my E drive, which is where the game is currently, and about 100 GB on the C Drive, so I should have plenty of free space on each drive.

I figured the install wasn't complete; I actually have some Nevada terrain files that were outside of dcs on the E drive, in a torrent folder, so that was suspect from the start. I"m hoping to get this resolved and be able to leave the game on the E drive. I'm planning on leaving the E drive exclusively for DCS, as I know I will be buying the Persian Gulf and a few other modules. (This is kind of addictive, lol)

Again, thanks for your input and I try to grasp the issue.

Ivan,

Thank you for your input, i wasn't sure which file I needed to upload, I will post the additional file tomorrow, I'm away from my computer at the moment. I have about 800 GB free space on my E drive, which is where the game is currently, and about 100 GB on the C Drive, so I should have plenty of free space on each drive.

Plenty of space all round.

I figured the install wasn't complete; I actually have some Nevada terrain files that were outside of dcs on the E drive, in a torrent folder, so that was suspect from the start.

Those files in the torrent folder should be in the "_downloads" folder (This is where the updater puts its torrent files normally), which is off the main E: drives DCS install directory. But it may be best if you just forget about the torrent folder you already have and just run a "DCS_Updater.exe Repair" command to find the missing pieces and re-download the complete "Nevada" map again, or remove the Nevada module with the module manager and then re-enable again.

I"m hoping to get this resolved and be able to leave the game on the E drive. I'm planning on leaving the E drive exclusively for DCS, as I know I will be buying the Persian Gulf and a few other modules. (This is kind of addictive, lol)

Again, thanks for your input and I try to grasp the issue.

Happy to help, should be an easy fix, just no sure how smart the autoupdater is, its pretty clever, but it my be slightly confused due to the way you moved things to the new drive. ;-)

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

• ED Team

Hi

I have a guide for cleanup and repair in my signature it may help.

Also check your antivirus, sometimes they can create problems for DCS, adding your dcs install folder to your antivirus ignore list may help also.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thank you all for the help, Ian, sorry I typo’d your name wrong, my fingers have a mind of their own sometimes. Bignewey, thanks for your input, I’ll certainly look into that as well once I’m off work and home tonight. Thanks again

UPDATE

I tried to follow the update and repair, but it was looking in the c drive, so it wouldn't work. At that point I decided to just delete the game plus the modules, and start with a fresh reload on the E drive. I think that will be the best route. I'm currently downloading the initial game, where I was able to direct it to the E drive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that any fragments I wasn't able to get with deleting the files off the E drive won"t effect the current download. I'm sure there are residual folders on the C drive, wondering if I run an auto repair that I can catch them.

Once again, thanks for all those with the great advice. I'll post if there are any further issues.

Thank you all for the help, Ian, sorry I typo’d your name wrong, my fingers have a mind of their own sometimes. Bignewey, thanks for your input, I’ll certainly look into that as well once I’m off work and home tonight. Thanks again

and yet you did it again :) reading what you type helps

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

and yet you did it again :) reading what you type helps

Lol yes guilty as charged. At least I got Ian’s name right. I typed that on my phone, where it’s pretty hard to see. I catch a lot more boo boos on my computers large screen.

Well I deleted the game and reloaded it last night, making sure to direct the game and modules to my E drive, and everything runs perfectly now. I should have done that in the first place and not wasted everyone’s time. Hopefully I will get everything set up and actually get some flying time in between everything else going on this weekend.