Looking for a simpit that allows for a center-mounted joystick base /w extensions.

elecsys

foxxmounts

virpil desk mounts

J-Pein

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

The problem is, that most gaming seats/simpits are meant for Simracing and only for some are flightsim convertion kits available. For most of them, you have to selfmade these flightsim mounts. This makes center mounted joystick use difficult with available converstion kits because afaik these very few with available flightsim upgrades do only fit for sidestick config. The reason for that is, that the manufactors just take their existing handbrake/gear shifter mount, convert it for joystick/throttle mount and sell two of them together as flightsim upgrade. And since there aren't any cars that have their gear shift/handbrake center mounted in front of the driver seat, it always ends up with sidestick config. I researched a lot before i purchased mine and found mostly simpits that can only be upgraded to a flight sim config. And most of them can only be used in sidestick config. I only know two (there are propably more) with preparation for center mounted sticks, but i'm not sure about the built quality. The Airforce seat from Playseat, wich is only a chair with adopted mounts and the Volair Sim Pit.

https://www.volairsim.com/

What made me skeptic was the fact, that (as i understand) Volair sells the complete pit (including all upgrade mounts) for a pretty cheap price of about 700€ while mine is stock without any aditional mounts at 1000€, with Alcantara seat it was 1200€ + 250€ for the flight mount wich is double the price for way less features included. Including all available mounts the Volair offers in it's package, mine would be at 2000-2300€. I work for a company that produces industrial metal frames and hydraulik cylinders with high quality standard (Liebherr, General Dynamics Land Systems and the manufactor of the Leopard 2 MBT - KMW, are some of our customers) so i know something about the topic of producing metal frames and what it costs. And i highly doubt that it is possible to build a SimPit like the Volairs in outstanding quality and all these features for the price Volair is taking for their pit. At least if you're producing in the EU or the US instead of china or somewhere in africa. They HAVE to save money somewhere and this mostly affects quality. Maybe i'm wrong about it and someone owning the Volairs can confirm the quality. In the end you have to decide if you can live with lower quality(if it's the case) in favor for functionality

cheers

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Thanks a lot for the R-Seat suggestion! I did come across it at some point in the past, but completely lost sight of it again! The S1 does look like a good base to make that modification on.

With it's 103lbs / 47kg it would also seem like the ideal chassis to pick from their lineup, if you ever want to mount it to a motion rig. I do have a question for you, since you already own one:

I'm 6"4 / 193cm in height - is there enough leeway on this chassis to make the pedals fit comfortably?

The Voltair is a bit outdated with it's triple monitor mounts, especially considering my use case (VR), and while it does seem to offer a center mount, i think you can probably forget about extensions with this one. I also like the fact that you can order the R-Seat chassis without any actual seat. Now if Bergison would only release his G-Seat already:pilotfly:

It seems like we ran into the same problem, as I've also been looking around for more than a year now, but always came up empty, unless you wanna take Monstertech into account. They do offer a simpit, and it's looks like you can even do a center-mount on it, but it's all just very barebone for the price. Might as well go for a DIY solution at that point, and the R-Seat certainly looks more appealing as well.

I do remember there being another small german manufacturer of racing/flight pits a few years back, and that one even had a dedicated center-stick cut-out on the seat, but that company is not in business anymore, and from what I remember of the looks of it, the build quality didn't inspire much confidence either.

Anyway... Danke für die Hilfe, Volksgenosse :D

Edited by elecsys

Nevermind mate, i'm happy to help you out. Yeah, i was afraid i'd purchase something and then won't be happy with it after spending that much money for a "toy". That's why i took my time and searched a lot online. I choosed very well and after a long time of thinking about pro's and con's and i have to say that i've never regret it. Nothing wiggles, shakes or moves, the whole construction is pretty tight. I enjoy every single time i jump in and start DCS or sometimes mount my steering wheel and go for GTR-2 or Assetto Corsa.

I'm 186cm and i remember when i put it together i set the complete adjustment to maximum body size and couldn't reach the pedals properly. I think you're good as long as you're not taller than 200cm. That's what they also say on their homepage i think, player size from 140 - 200cm, but not sure about that. Also important for me was, that it needs a relative low seat position in relation to the paddels, so i can use my TPR's properly since they're incomfortable to use in a desk/office chair height. Fits perfectly for them. If you wan't to buy a S1 for central mount joystick only use, just make sure you purchase the handbrake/gear shift mount instead of the flight mount. Both are almost the same, but the handbrake kit is only one sidemount instead of two and comes with a larger baseplate (and is ~100€ cheaper), so you can not only mount your throttle there, but maybe another panel next to it. I personally want to be able to swap between F/A-18 and F-16 setup, wich is why i got the flight mount kit and want to modd the rig for additional central mount use in the nearby future.

If you want to purchase one without seat and frame only it may be interesting to know, that the seat console is a FIA GT standard mount. Means, most racing seats (Recaro, Sparco etc) that have a FIA GT/touring car certification will fit in. I say most, because there are a few different FIA standards for seats wich differ in spacings between the screwholes. S1 has 290mm standard i think, but i'd have to read the manual to be sure. But the choice of seats that fit is still enormous, just make sure to pick the correct standard. Only drawback with the seat is, that you can mount it a bit angled to sit leaned back but not that much to fit the angle of a fighterjet seat. It's simply meant for simracing in the first place, but i guess that's whining on a high level...

Oh btw, it's not 47kg. It's 74kg in total without flight mount. The flight mount will add another 24kg. My complete rig with pedals and hotas is heavier than my motorbike. Including fuel. O.o

edit: About the small german manufactor you mentioned... I think there are two of them and both are also the only dealers in germany having RSEAT products in their shop. Both are specialized on simracing equipment and i think their rigs are as well. Not sure if there are flight sim upgrades available for them. One of both is located just 20km from my hometown (wich is why i had no shipping costs), but their rigs are very expensive. Don't wanna lie, but i think they were double or triple the price of the S1.

these are the home rigs of the dealer i got mine from:

https://virtualracingstore.com/simulatoren/vrl-manufaktur/vrl-kyoso-professionelles-fullmotion-simracing-rig/

https://virtualracingstore.com/simulatoren/vrl-manufaktur/vrl-shori-professionelles-simracing-rig/

and this is the other one:

https://www.force2motion.de/Next-Level-Racing/

cheers

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Oh btw, it's not 47kg. It's 74kg in total without flight mount. The flight mount will add another 24kg. My complete rig with pedals and hotas is heavier than my motorbike. Including fuel. O.o

Whoops, yep, looks like I've been reading misinformation again...

As for the tip with the Shifter/Handbrake kit, much appreciated! I plan on installing both a standard throttle, as well as as secondary stick or delta throttle for use with space sims, so having enough mounting opportunities for both was another consideration. The R-Seat does seem to check all the boxes in that department, heh.

btw, was there anything beyond price that made you opt for the S1 over the N1 model? Or was it just due to lack of availability with virtualracingstore.com? In terms of upgrade options they seem to be pretty similar, and from the looks of it maybe even a slight advantage for the S1 as far as adjusting the front/wheel element is concerned. Do you foresee any problems when installing both a custom center-mount joystick & a wheel at the same time?

Absolutely. That's why i choosed the flight mount over the handbrake mount. With center stick layout, it also provides extra space for a panel at starboard.

Yes of course. To be honest, price and availability wasn't realy a factor since the N1 was in no way interesting from day one. The N1 is heavier and needs more space and is way less adjustable, also there is no flight mount kit for the N1 and the mount for the steering wheel is not removable, but a part of the complete frame. Also i think the N1 has no bottom plate to mod for center mounted joystick. The other rig RS1 is also less adjustable, but lighter and a bit smaller. There is a flight mount for it, but it's also not very adjustable. Not sure if the steering wheel mount is removable. On the S1, there is literally everything adjustable. You can mount the flight mount (lol) at two different positions and then in addition adjust the rail in distance, angle and height for example. The pedal plate can be mounted at 5 different positions and is then adjustable with the bottom plate wich is mounted on a slider. In addition to that, the seat console is also mounted on a slider to adjust pedal (and throttle/stick) distance. Also it needs moderate space in my opinion, about 90cm in width with attached flight mount and 165cm in length with the seat. These (and the quality) where the reasons to choose it over all others i took a look on, also from other high class manufactors like Monstertech or Obutto. Price not so much, since it's still not the cheapest solution.

Problem with the steering wheel and flight sim mount in tandem is that you'd have to climb into the seat instead of just sitting down. May be a little detail for the hardcore simmers and extra space to mount more systems like panels or MFD's, but for my part i'm getting old and i can feel it in the back. I always remove the flight mount when i go for racing. I'm also not realy sure, but i checked the mountings and it looks like as if it's not possible to mount them in tandem. I'd quickly take a few pictures but honestly, i'm a total social media noob and have absolutely no clue how to upload images here. There's only an option to link images, but then i'd have to upload them somewhere else?!? I'm confused...

edit: took a closer look on the mounts, wheel mount and flight mount are attachable in tandem.

Edited by VpR81

I think i got it now, take a look at this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=1783

hope this link works...

Thanks a lot for the album, mate!

As for uploading, I usually just go with some image hosting site to generate a throwaway web link to my pictures, like img.bb or imgur.com

I've been browsing RSeat's website just now, and the front part on the N1 does look like it's removable (or did you mean the top wheel mount itself?), and at least the 2019 version seems to have a bottom plate as well, but either way, the S1 certainly looks more versatile as far as mounting options are concerned.

1.png

The thing that would worry me even more with the N1, is the difference in the seat mount compared to the S1. That black sliding handle for the seat seems to protrude further on the N1, and would presumably block access to the bottom plate in front of the seat, right where you would want to mount a center joystick base (at least as far as I can judge from the pictures that I've seen).

I assume this is not a problem with the S1? Btw, is that handle retractable or maybe even removable?

2.png

3.png

And one other thing that would interest me, since I plan on installing a yoke instead of a wheel: Those Thrustmaster pedals look rather big on the pictures. Were you able to make them fit, when you have the front/wheel base installed?

Even if it gets a bit crowded in there, ideally I would like to install both yoke, pedals, throttle & a center-mounted joystick base at the same time. I don't mind having to install the actual grip & extension after I'm seated, but do you think there is even enough space to operate the center stick without bumping into a mounted wheel or yoke? I don't trust RSeat's photos enough to make a definite judgement.

Edited by elecsys

Oh yes, you're absolutely right. I came back to DCS when the Hornet launched EA and in that time i started to compare rigs and to take a closer look to each of them, so it's been a while ago. Sorry for the misleading info, but i was sure the N1 doesen't have a bottom plate and no removable wheel mount frame. Seems like i was wrong, but good to see you recheck all informations you get. The S1 and the N1 share a few spare parts, such as the keyboard/mouse tray but overall i would rate the S1 more versatile, yes. Especially when it comes to adjustment of the complete setup.

The slide handle is neither screwed nor welded on the slider, but simply clipped and comes as a separate part from the sliders out of the box. Im not sure if it's removable with assembled seat console, but i will take a look on that later and report. I'm pretty sure, there is no need to install the handle in order to mount the seat console. But you are right, there is a chance that the handle could block access to the bottom plate, but i took that into account and decided to equal that with a curved extension if necessary. After assembling and adjusting the rig to my size, i saw that it should also work with a straight one. That eliminates the option to slide forward, but so does removing the slide handle...

And one other thing that would interest me, since I plan on installing a yoke instead of a wheel: Those Thrustmaster pedals look rather big on the pictures. Were you able to make them fit, when you have the front/wheel base installed?

Even if it gets a bit crowded in there, ideally I would like to install both yoke, pedals, throttle & a center-mounted joystick base at the same time. I don't mind having to install the actual grip & extension after I'm seated, but do you think there is even enough space to operate the center stick without bumping into a mounted wheel or yoke? I don't trust RSeat's photos enough to make a definite judgement.

That is a realy interesting point and tbh i've never taken this into account. I rarely go for racing and i've always been disassembling all controls and sidemounts before installing the wheel mount frame. I think i could install a wheel and a center mounted stick at the same time without issues, but i'm not sure. I have to try that out to give reliable infos. Same for the pedals with assembled wheel mount frame, but i assume they're to wide.

I checked the pedal width by holding the wheel mount frame in position and it doesen't fit. At least these pedals can't be used in tandem with a mounted wheel/yoke, they're simply too big. Also i should mention, that they don't fit perfectly on the padel plate. Only the front side holes of the padels fit to the plate. They're still tight and don't move a bit, but this is simply the disadvantage of the rigs simracing origin. It fits for like every racing pedal on the market, but i remember that i couldn't find any informations about flight padel compatibility. I expected to drill new holes, but after the padels fit more or less and are tight enough... i have to admit, that i was too lazy to do it yet... :music_whistling:

As for the seat slide handle, It's just hooked with two bolts on each side and i could disassemble and reassemble it within 10 seconds. I for mayself planned to drill holes for several center mount positions, to have some flexibility here as well. When i finaly find some time and motivation...

On the first look, when i tried to hold the wheel mount frame in place, it seemed like there should be no problem in using a yoke/wheel and a center mounted joystick at the same time. But i have to mount the frame in order to be sure. I'll do that tomorrow and upload a few pictures.

cheers

No hurry! I'm in the process of moving, so I won't be able to set up my own simpit before January/February at the earliest anyway.

I have BRD-F1 pedals from Baur, but they aren't exactly conservative in width, so I don't think I would have much luck with my installation either. If you don't mind, could you give me the mm measurement of the smallest and largest dimensions inbetween this front element?

rseat-measure.jpg

And if you eventually do get around to finishing your center-stick modifications, it would be nice if you could give me an update on how much wiggle room I would have with both a wheel and a center-mount stick installed, or whether it's feasible at all in various positions!

Cheers!

Of course, not a problem. I uploaded some pictures to the album so you can check the distances you asked for. Sadly i doubt, that a center mounted stick and a mounted yoke/wheel would fit together.

As for my center mount modification, i'll upload a few pictures as soon as it's completed and let you know about it. I'll reopen this thread or PM you. I know it's hard to find and choose a rig that perfectly fits when your needs force you to be picky, so i hope i could assist your decision at least a little bit.

cheers

Hi Guys

I sell the P-51D, F-16C and F/A-18C Cockpits and CAD plans. (F-14 CAD plans coming soon)

See more pics at the links below.

https://pbase.com/tejay/simulator_items

https://imgur.com/user/stang51

I'm happy to help you with your project and I do custom work as well, as I have had people request that I make a cockpit larger, wider or smaller to suit their needs.

Let me know if I can help.

Stang out

Along the lines of an Obutto, but more specifically geared toward flight sims.

Monstertech offers their MTX Flight Sim Rig. I used to have an Obutto Ozone, and I completely replaced it with my Monstertech one (except the chair; I kept the Obutto chair).

This is it:

W4LzPGk.jpg

This album shows some pics during assembly and the final results as well:

https://imgur.com/a/JEemfuR

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Of course, not a problem. I uploaded some pictures to the album so you can check the distances you asked for. Sadly i doubt, that a center mounted stick and a mounted yoke/wheel would fit together.

As for my center mount modification, i'll upload a few pictures as soon as it's completed and let you know about it. I'll reopen this thread or PM you. I know it's hard to find and choose a rig that perfectly fits when your needs force you to be picky, so i hope i could assist your decision at least a little bit.

cheers

Definitely, you helped me a lot, mate! I'm pretty certain at this point that it's going to be an S1 for me as well, I just need you to be the test pilot of my crazy ideas :D

If it really doesn't work right out of the box, I'll just have to do some modifications.

And thanks for the width measurements!

Monstertech offers their MTX Flight Sim Rig. I used to have an Obutto Ozone, and I completely replaced it with my Monstertech one (except the chair; I kept the Obutto chair).

Thanks for your suggestion! May I ask, as assembled on this photo, how much did all the Monstertech parts cost in total? Did you ever consider any other manufacturer as well, and what made you decide in favor of Monstertech?

ty

I went with the speedmaster flight seat and removed the center mount plate from under the seat and put carpet on base that I mounted seat and frame to . I made a base for a couple reasons main was it was easier to get in and out of. Then I covered the square base plat for the warthog stick with the hook side of industrial Velcro between the size of the base and the weight of the stick works well I did have to use two extensions to get the stick to the correct height. It is a well made and thought out design. I also got the monitor mount and just ordered the seat belt setup for it. I covered most of the side shelves, keyboard shelf and the other two upright plates with the loop side of the industrial Velcro it does two things makes the shelve less slick so pen and other items stay put plus it makes my pit convertible. Ie change from fighter to ga/comm by swapping out controls by just Velcro. My plan is to have it switch between helo, fighter, ga/comm, and racing by just switching out the controls.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Nevermind mate, i'm glad i could help you with your decision. If you have any further questions or wanna know any other measures, just drop me a line. I'll let you know about my center mount mod as soon as i get it done and whatever wich rig it will be, don't forget to share some pictures ;)

cheers

Agin the flight seat from speedmaster it totally built for flight simmimg and can be used for racing sims also just mount the pedals to the pedal plate you either drill the holes or use Velcro. Me I plan on having several setups so I used Velcro where needed. I’m going to have it setup for helo, fighter with center or side stick, ga/commercial aircraft with a yoke or side stick, racing with wheel and pedals.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.