WINWING F/A-18C HOTAS 2019.11.11 RELEASE

WINWING

Remember this isn’t like DCS software where it can be patched easily. You do not want to own an early access hardware.

Hardware is a bitch. It's so risky and costly to manufacture a product and with a much smaller profit than a software company, That's why you don't see many hardware startups

Edited by 7rooper

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Well... that seems less than good. Hopefully they fix the issues and offer the throttle seperately.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

There's a lot of potential here, but it still need some work to become the new reference. The review was written by 3 people to be as fair as possible. The thing to keep in mind is that the devices does the job, it's very very precise. it's a joy to refuel or just patrol. Software seems solid and easy to use. All of the issues can be fixed by the manifacturer (and they's already worked on many of those). That the most frustrating, we are close of a very good devices. With 2 additional month of developpement/testing, things would have been easier/much better for everybody.

It seems like fair review honestly. I'm not here to bash WW, but if I'm paying 1 grand for something like this it better be perfect.

And on that note, I fly in VR, so it seems like they could split up the 3 components, and just sell the throttle without the USB switch panel to VR guys. Or mix-n-match of the 3 components. I mainly just want the throttle without the panel or stick. And a hot-swappable throttle system would be AMAZING. Flying the F18, and switching to the F14, pop off the tops put new tops on and go! Or a set of quickly replaceable harrier controls! Yes please!

But I gotta agree, a monstertech mount or something like it for the throttle looks quite necessary.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

This is what I was thinking. Look at the Virpil throttle. They had to completely remove the detents from it.

Yeah and that move completely removed me from any possibility of purchasing one.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As we said on our review Winwing has strong potential to become a major company in sim hardware, they just need more external beta testing, prior to public release.

Yes, this is what I understood from your well balanced review. It is a shame that they aired their Beta testing "dirty laundry" in the public eye with testers that thought that they were getting a completed product. It is to Winwing's credit that their mentality is "we got this detail wrong, so let's got back and fix it" rather than just push it out to market. (They still should have been honest with customers and communicated better however... but that is another story).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is what I was thinking. Look at the Virpil throttle. They had to completely remove the detents from it.

There is no perfect hardware. And will not be. They complaining about how complicated to change springs and cam's on the joystick? Had they tried to do so on VKB Gunfighter, for example? Same goes for dry clutch tuning. Those things maybe not simple, but at least it is possible! No-one going to do it every week, it is kind of "done once properly and forget until next regular maintenance" thing (and YES, quality sim hardware DO NEED regular maintenance). So, no reason to complain "but it so expensive, it should be easy!" No, it shouldn't. Expensive mechanical stuff usually is complicated. What is simple, usually cheap and ultimately almost worthless.

Edited by Lehmen

"but it so expensive, it should be easy!"

Apparently the F-22 and B-2 are completely maintenance free! I'll bet the F-35 only needs a 30,000 hour checkup and regular oil changes. Run it through the jet wash to get the salt off once in a while, a coat of wax...

I'm about the re-spring my Virpil. I swore I'd never re-spring it the last two times as well...but this time the springs might be too light and I'm not going to curse myself.

Just curious, is one of the things they are currently fixing the connector being just a cable from the stick to the base? I would much rather see something similar to other stick / base connections where the plugs line up as part of the connections and seat as part of the overall connection. I saw the cable connector inside that connects the stick to the base in some of the reviews. It looks and seems kind of cheap for a $900 product. I guess on the plus side, it could be one less thing to break :).

Hopefully some news comes soon.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Hey everyone,

I wanted to give an update on the WINWING HOTAS review I was working on. As of yesterday I sent an email to WINWING explaining that I am no longer going to do the review. The HOTAS I have is no longer the HOTAS any customer will receive. The fact of the matter is that WINWING sent me what they are claiming now to be an Engineering Sample. From looking back at prior announcements and conversations, WINWING originally sent the reviewers what they at the time were considering a production read unit. The same unit that would have gone to customers. However, we (the reviewers) found a long list of issues both with the hardware and software on these units. WINWING worked diligently to try and fix all the issues and send out notices to us that they had been addressed. In a couple cases they shipped us parts (springs and cams) and in at least 1 case (my own) they sent me a 2nd stick base due to an issue when trying to adjust the Center Stop Device on the original base they gave me.

With all of these issues and fixes however, WINWING is now claiming that we now have "Engineering Samples" and not the production units. Now, is this true? I guess it is NOW, but this was not the original intention... However I get it, things changed, and hopefully for the better for their customers. The issue however is that I now have a piece of hardware to review with that still has issues, but doesn't actually reflect the final product. So, because of this I've come to the conclusion that doing a review would not only waste my time, but the viewers as well. Why watch a review on something that technically isn't real, or isn't what you would be getting if you order the product? Not only that, but based on all the problems there is no way I can make a review that sheds any kind of positive light on the product itself, aside from maybe its potential. I do not feel that this would be fair to WINWING, myself or any of my viewers, so, there will not be a review.

This post is in no way intended to show as a bad mark on WINWING's part. I do think they have potential. I do think they are a very customer oriented company. I do think they want to make a good product and have enough passion and ambition to do so. But, I also think they may have jumped the gun a bit, maybe rushed to market and shouldn't have given the reviewers the responsibility to be their testers. In the time I've been playing DCS, I've seen about 4 hardware companies come up from nothing and I've seen pretty much each of them go through teething issues similar to WINWING. Hopefully that's all this is, they learn from their mistakes, learn what works and what doesn't and ultimately it helps make their company better from it.

I've offered to return all products sent to me by WINWING and thanked them for the opportunity to help them test and provide feedback as I did. I regret that I cannot do the review, especially after all the time I put into it already, but I think this decision is better for everyone involved, I just also felt it should be transparent to you guys as well.

-Jabbers

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Can anyone that has been in touch with Winwing confirm or deny if they plan to sell the throttle/ ops panel without the joystick? Also has anyone asked if they plan to make other throttle handles that can be switched out, like the F-14?

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

Can anyone that has been in touch with Winwing confirm or deny if they plan to sell the throttle/ ops panel without the joystick? Also has anyone asked if they plan to make other throttle handles that can be switched out, like the F-14?

They haven't confirmed that they will yet.... but I have to think they will eventually. They KNOW there is a high demand for the throttle alone.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Let’s hope so, I’d take one as well as some add on grips if they made them which I’d think wouldn’t be hard.

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

Hey everyone,

I wanted to give an update on the WINWING HOTAS review I was working on. As of yesterday I sent an email to WINWING explaining that I am no longer going to do the review. The HOTAS I have is no longer the HOTAS any customer will receive. The fact of the matter is that WINWING sent me what they are claiming now to be an Engineering Sample. From looking back at prior announcements and conversations, WINWING originally sent the reviewers what they at the time were considering a production read unit. The same unit that would have gone to customers. However, we (the reviewers) found a long list of issues both with the hardware and software on these units. WINWING worked diligently to try and fix all the issues and send out notices to us that they had been addressed. In a couple cases they shipped us parts (springs and cams) and in at least 1 case (my own) they sent me a 2nd stick base due to an issue when trying to adjust the Center Stop Device on the original base they gave me.

With all of these issues and fixes however, WINWING is now claiming that we now have "Engineering Samples" and not the production units. Now, is this true? I guess it is NOW, but this was not the original intention... However I get it, things changed, and hopefully for the better for their customers. The issue however is that I now have a piece of hardware to review with that still has issues, but doesn't actually reflect the final product. So, because of this I've come to the conclusion that doing a review would not only waste my time, but the viewers as well. Why watch a review on something that technically isn't real, or isn't what you would be getting if you order the product? Not only that, but based on all the problems there is no way I can make a review that sheds any kind of positive light on the product itself, aside from maybe its potential. I do not feel that this would be fair to WINWING, myself or any of my viewers, so, there will not be a review.

This post is in no way intended to show as a bad mark on WINWING's part. I do think they have potential. I do think they are a very customer oriented company. I do think they want to make a good product and have enough passion and ambition to do so. But, I also think they may have jumped the gun a bit, maybe rushed to market and shouldn't have given the reviewers the responsibility to be their testers. In the time I've been playing DCS, I've seen about 4 hardware companies come up from nothing and I've seen pretty much each of them go through teething issues similar to WINWING. Hopefully that's all this is, they learn from their mistakes, learn what works and what doesn't and ultimately it helps make their company better from it.

I've offered to return all products sent to me by WINWING and thanked them for the opportunity to help them test and provide feedback as I did. I regret that I cannot do the review, especially after all the time I put into it already, but I think this decision is better for everyone involved, I just also felt it should be transparent to you guys as well.

-Jabbers

Very good explanation Jabbers, makes total sense. Hopefully winwing will send you a version 2, you certainly deserve it. I should be receiving the first batch of version 2. I'll certainly give my thoughts here and on hoggit. But it looks like we'll have to wait for the more high profile reviews from users such as yourself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk