Why does replay not work?

Campbell

I’ve had this sim for years and the replay has never worked. I don’t understand, the replay runs correct for about 3 minutes then the plane just goes wacko and crashes every single time. Doesn’t matter the plane the mission or anything. I’ve tried multiple recordings because of corrupt files but not once has it worked and as a result I can’t record cinematic game play. Is the replay function really that bad? How is it that everyone else is able to get those nice external shots???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

You mean replaying the miz file? Trk files play the AI again IIRC, so PVP is best.

Some aircraft replay perfectly for me, and some don't. FC3 aircraft, f16, L39c, and AV-8B all seem to work most of the time, landing on a boat is sometimes a problem. F14 and Ka-50 mess up nearly all of the time. A friend of mine claims that the f14 trk works as long as you let the replay of all Jester commands play through, then after that the view can be changed.

A2G combat shots work as long as you don't hit a unit of a group, else other units in the group make a random spread, and any subsequent hits will miss as the target may move to a different place each replay, rather than what happened in the mission, and if you use AGM then it might not find lock, and maybe not fire, then your plane is out of balance for the rest of the trk, so it will play out different.

A2A combat against AI 1v1 often works, but again ones in a group might be random there after, also the missiles in trk replay can be random, subsequent missiles might not fire.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

Is the replay function really that bad?

Yes.

I don't know how other people do it well, but one method to get pretty pictures is to literally pause the mission at the appropriate time. Only works in single-player mode obviously, but does the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Replays replays, someone please think of the replays

With AV8B I see no weapons drop even watching back just a 2 minute track.

I have wasted many hours over these replays and I really wish the function was given some love. It would even be productive to do as the amount of decent movies out there would advertise the product even more.

Love the game but no decent replay is simply terrible. :P

Gargh frustrated :cry:

I too wish the replay functionality was up to par. Up until now, almost everyone uses TacView to replay their mission. For screenshots and video, Kang is right, pause and remove the status bar, align the camera, record, unpause, get your shot, pause, stop recording, repeat.

The replay system right now records inputs over time. When it plays it back, those inputs are fed to the sim at the correct time markers (except when it's not, and your plane goes nuts-o). What I would love to have is a replay system that records events instead of inputs (kinda the same? sorta?) and we can replay those back using a timeline scrubber. Heck, hire the guy that made TacView to do timeline scrubbing and event tracking. TacView does this wonderfully.

I honestly don't care about how big the replay filesize is over how well a replay works. I'd rather have a replay system that works forward and backward in time than have a small replay file.

The good old problem with the replays....

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is something like, the sim records all control positions several times pers second, and re-creates the flight in-sim for the replay. Often things could be missed in-between "frames", maybe something tiny that mounts up over many frames, and then you end up with your plane flying into a mountain.

No joke, Ive had tracks in the past where the plane did not even make it off the runway.

However IIRC someone said that it had recieved some work recently-ish? I made a replay the otherday with the harrier that had some pretty tight manouvres through buildings in the Persian Gulf and it recorded perfectly. Maybe it works better on the newer terrains, I dont know.

Well, whatever it is, there is no excuse for this!

Other sims (I do not quote them because they are going to delete my post)

did and still do it properly from as back at least 10 years ago.....

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

One of the great mysteries of ED...