Arctic Map

Netsk

• 3 weeks later...

I think an arctic map would be cool once the weather/cloud engine can properly do an arctic storm.  That said the effect could likely double with sandstorms in the PG  with a different color applied

• Like 2

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

One more vote from here. Beyound the obious war-time scenarios there are real artic excercices and cross border training that can utilize F-15, F-16, F-18 and Eurofighter.

Edited by finfly
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1 from me too.

I've been playing the 1987 Nordkapp missions by Lace for the Viper and they have really ignited my interest in an Arctic map. Would work well for different eras and plenty of scope for carrier options etc. Seems like the Falklands map will bring South American fjords, but the Norwegian and Russian ones would be a great addition to DCS.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would be awesome but it would be quite a challenge to make instruments behave correctly near the North Pole.. since North is no longer "Up" but center... 😉

I would  settle for a barents or Bearings  sea map.

Edited by Baco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baco said:

Would be awesome but it would be quite a challenge to make instruments behave correctly near the North Pole.. since North is no longer "Up" but center... 😉

None of the regions suggested so far are close to the magnetic nor geographic pole. So "north" is still off-map, so to speak.

But, you are right that there would be some serious deviation of the direction of north (whether true or magnetic) depending on the position where the aircraft is.

Keeping it around the Fennoscandian shield and Barrents Sea would keep it well away from the polar regions. Arctic does not necessarily mean Polar.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, xvii-Dietrich said:

None of the regions suggested so far are close to the magnetic nor geographic pole. So "north" is still off-map, so to speak.

Exactly! Case in point: the northernmost part of mainland Norway is approximately as far from the geographic north pole as Houston TX is form the Canadian Border.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

True... most people haven't a clue just how vast the arctic really is... that is, the area where NO people live for more than maybe a few weeks in tents. Yes, there are many people who live near or just around the Arctic circle, past the treeline (meaning after a certain point northwards, no trees grow), but they are still a very long distance from the pole! Doesn't help that it's all floating ice either, unlike the Antarctic where the ice is often MUCH thicker (couple of kilometers THICK in some places) and a signficant portion sits on "dry" islands. 

• 1 month later...

+1 for this suggestion. A map covering the northern parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia (Kola peninsula and home of Northern Fleet ++) plus a decent chunk of Barents sea for naval ops would be perfect.

Lots of interesting terrain and usable for both historic (WW2, cold war) and modern scenarios. Polar night and midnight sun would also add a new dimension to the simulator.

It's a pretty big area, but there are few cities with landmark buildings that have to be modeled (unlike Persia map for example), so you'd save some time and disk space there I guess. 

Edited by yngvef
spellings
  • Like 2

Yea, something like that... might be too big for TODAY... but development isn't instantaneous anyway, so maybe 3 years from now when a map would be ready, maybe the average users' hardware could handle that size then.

Personally I wish to see this map as a terrain module, eventually when hardware can handle it:

EF2000-Map.jpg

• Like 2

Il 16/6/2021 alle 16:40, yngvef ha detto:

+1 per questo suggerimento. Una mappa che copra le parti settentrionali della Norvegia, Svezia, Finlandia e Russia (penisola di Kola e sede della Flotta del Nord ++) più un pezzo decente del mare di Barents per le operazioni navali sarebbe perfetta.

Un sacco di terreno interessante e utilizzabile sia per scenari storici (WW2, guerra fredda) che moderni. La notte polare e il sole di mezzanotte si aggiungerebbero anche una nuova dimensione al simulatore.

È un'area piuttosto grande, ma ci sono poche città con edifici storici che devono essere modellati (a differenza della mappa della Persia per esempio), quindi suppongo che risparmieresti un po' di tempo e spazio su disco. 

Il 16/6/2021 alle 18:10, Rick50 ha detto:

Sì, qualcosa del genere... potrebbe essere troppo grande per OGGI... ma lo sviluppo non è comunque istantaneo, quindi forse tra 3 anni quando una mappa sarebbe pronta, forse l'hardware degli utenti medi potrebbe gestire quella dimensione allora.

Personalmente desidero vedere questa mappa come un modulo del terreno, eventualmente quando l'hardware può gestirlo:

EF2000-Map.jpg

you have the wrong topic here we are talking about the Arctic and not the northern countries.
you should open a new topic and name it Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark)

Edited by Xilon_x

2 hours ago, Xilon_x said:

you have the wrong topic here we are talking about the Arctic and not the northern countries.
you should open a new topic and name it Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark)

The first post in the thread shows a map of Northern Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. Exactly as I said I supported. 

I understood it to mean the arctic areas of those countries, as a lot of us apparently did.

After all, it's the only arctic area that is the border between so many countries that are NATO, old Warsaw pact AND neutral. And it was an important flashpoint during most of the Cold War as well as WW2 (German/Axis bases in Norway and Finland and Allied side USSR)

The North pole with the sea ice wouldn't make for a very interesting map, nor would northern Canada, Greenland or Siberia. Borders create tension and interesting scenarios.

And I think we all understand that it would impossible with the current technology to create the entire arctic (everything north of the arctic circle for example), as it is BIG.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

So I just now saw that ORBX is developing a new map for DCS:  Kola Peninsula!!!

They are new to DCS.... but they are NOT new to flight simulation terrain addons. They have been around for civilian flight sims for decades..  and now for DCS!!!

The grand map includes the northern end of Norway including Bodo and Andoya, Sweden, a bit of Finland and a bit of Russia, but includes Murmansk and many of those norther military bases... this is a GREAT THING!!  

And whenever the Typhoon module is ready, get some 90's nostalgia too!!

• Like 3