Barthek's CAUCASUS REDONE 2022

13 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

any reason why i keep getting this?

Screen_210528_134829.jpg

Hammer, a few questions to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Did you install the mod using JSGME as instructed?

2. Did you uninstall any previous terrain mods?

3. Do you have your terrain textures set to HIGH in the graphics options?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

any reason why i keep getting this?

Screen_210528_134829.jpg

Clearly Batumi put in a sprinkler system  🤣

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

its not just Batumi either, its all of them.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

24 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Got this message warning on MP server:

image.png

So now what? Deleting it? What are u trying to do something, if its not legal...

Use the force, Skywalker. 🙂 On a serious note tho, try closing DCS, launch it again and go directly to MP. The server should let you in. You see - that's the problem with texture mods, especially those modifying the whole map. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barthek said:

Hmm, do you mind posting a screenshot showing June in your sim?

Disregard, it was user error. I'm not sure why but my installation went wrong. I used OVGME and that worked nicely! Thanks 

53 minutes ago, Barthek said:

Use the force, Skywalker. 🙂 On a serious note tho, try closing DCS, launch it again and go directly to MP. The server should let you in. You see - that's the problem with texture mods, especially those modifying the whole map. 

Tried, it didnt let me in. Had to remove all and did the repair of DCS. Sorry to say that.

Ok, got the scattered snow effect now. But I'm seeing mostly blacks and shades of grey instead of browns on the dormant terrain.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Someone has to be a bit more critical 🙂

My vision: Textures from a high altitude look really cool, from very near don`t look so good, actually really bad, originals are better. Specially for summer time, textures for grass and fields have some orange/red circles, which shouldn`t be there among green/brown color. And there are also some black circles in the snow up there in the mountains.  Btw, trees in the mountains should be white as well, not just all green/dark green.

Keep in mind I do textures for 10 years, I model racing circuits from scratch. So plenty of textures needed for each track.

Just one example:

image.png

textures like: ( for_field_1.tif.dds, for_field_3.tif.dds and for_field_5.tif.dds make the difference, that it looks strange and you don`t use alpha channel on each of them. At least for_field_5.tif.dds doesn`t have the appropriate alpha layer, which can cause issues with those circles, because additional textures are not represented in there (original has gray, yours has white alpha) - if you know what I`m talking about.

I know its hard to do textures, since you cannot know which textures go together (one main texture can have many more additional sub-textures). Only the modelers have access to that.

For example, that you will know what I`m talking about, here is my example of the track I`m modeling atm, this is some special software, where I define the texturing, all the lighting and other params for each object. Example shows all the parameter needed got the GRASS only, and which all sub-textures are included for it, that I get the wanted outcome:

sloVas_land_1.jpg

sloVas_land_2.jpg

Edited by skywalker22
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

My vision: Textures from a high altitude looks really cool, from very near don`t look so good, actually really bad, originals are better. Specially for summer time, textures for grass and fields have some orange/red circles, which shouldn`t be there among green/brown color. And there are also some black circles in the snow up there in the mountains.  Btw, trees in the mountains should be white as well, not just all green/dark green.

Keep in mind I do textures for 10 years, I model racing circuits from scratch. So plenty of textures needed for each track.

Thank you for your feedback! Well, I've lived in this world long enough to acknowledge that you cannot make everyone happy, no matter how much you try. Editing textures in DCS is a game of compromise. You make one thing look more natural and generally better - another looks more artificial. Those who have tried editing terrain textures should know what I mean. I am a self-learner. Altering the textures in DCS made me learn GIMP from a scratch and oh boy - what a great tool it is! 🙂 What people generally don't understand are all the limitations that DCS imposes on mod creators, especially the terrain ones. Believe me, what you see in the mod does not correspond with what I have in my mind. I will be updating the whole set from time to time, once I discover some new tricks and solutions, so stay tuned! 😉 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

My vision: Textures from a high altitude look really cool, from very near don`t look so good, actually really bad, originals are better. Specially for summer time, textures for grass and fields have some orange/red circles, which shouldn`t be there among green/brown color. And there are also some black circles in the snow up there in the mountains.  Btw, trees in the mountains should be white as well, not just all green/dark green.

Just one example:

image.png

textures like: ( for_field_1.tif.dds, for_field_3.tif.dds and for_field_5.tif.dds make the difference, that it looks strange and you don`t use alpha channel on each of them. At least for_field_5.tif.dds doesn`t have the appropriate alpha layer, which can cause issues with those circles, because additional textures are not represented in there (original has gray, yours has white alpha) - if you know what I`m talking about.

I know its hard to do textures, since you cannot know which textures go together (one main texture can have many more additional sub-textures). Only the modelers have access to that.

For example, that you will know what I`m talking about, here is my example of the track I`m modeling atm, this is some special software, where I define the texturing, all the lighting and other params for each object. Example shows all the parameter needed got the GRASS only, and which all sub-textures are included for it, that I get the wanted outcome:

sloVas_land_1.jpg

sloVas_land_2.jpg

Barthek's previous version which he was kind enough to keep it downloadable as Legacy version, is much better at lower altitude.  Some fly high altitude jets, some fly low level helos or ground attack planes.  It's best to have options.

Not sure if he fixed the red airfield markings on the Legacy version however.

Bug Report: 

The same type of Artifact from the Old Hange appear now on a type of Ground Texture, its even more Prominent Inside the VR headset.
Location for Referenz, only Ground tex mod after cleanup loaded, only testet Autumn so far, latest 2021ver.

Screen_210530_045748.png

Screen_210530_045934.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@skywalker22 Your simracing editing experience, although interesting, is only partially relevant here. The scope of things modders in DCS can do in changing anything map-related is quite limited in this sim. The aforementioned trees are good example. The way the speedtree code works in DCS is it uses only one family of tree objects of a couple of varied sizes and shapes, spread all over the map, so you can't have snow covered trees in the mountains and green ones down low. It's either the former or the latter everywhere, that's how the game is coded.

Terrain texture quality is another issue completely different from racing sims standards, and it applies to all flight sims in general. You can either have great visuals up high but mediocre down low (example: MSFS 2020 or Il-2GB), or the other way around (example: DCS Channel map, or Il-2GB Prokhorovka map), or some dirty compromise, which doesn't look good anywhere. In DCS, I guess one would have to craft a separate mod for low and slow rotorcraft pilots, plus a separate mod for high and fast jet pilots, but who's gonna do that?

• Like 4

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

5 hours ago, JanRalle said:

Bug Report: 

The same type of Artifact from the Old Hange appear now on a type of Ground Texture, its even more Prominent Inside the VR headset.
Location for Referenz, only Ground tex mod after cleanup loaded, only testet Autumn so far, latest 2021ver.

Screen_210530_045748.png

Screen_210530_045934.png

JanRalle, thank you for the report. Can you specify in a greater detail what is wrong with the texture? It seems to be just fine on my end (maybe my monitor is the problem here).

There is a pattern of different shaded squares, looks like a layer of the texture is way to low resolution. 

In the headset it stands even more out.

Screenshot_20210530-111653~2.png

Edited by JanRalle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, let's see if we can fix this very quickly by doing some voodoo-magic in the LUA.

• Navigate to : DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus and open LUA file named: terrain.cfg (preferably with Notepad++ ).
  • In that file look for line 957, which says: noise2PerSquare = 13 and change the value from 13 to 256.
  • Save it and check the results in the sim.