How about ingame Voip?

Jafferson

• ED Team

Hi Jafferson

Currently in internal testing.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Is there any Work in Progress?

People missing this feature, we got discord and Simple Radio but most people dont use it.

I assume if we got ingame voip, people would be encouraged to use it.

From Wags AMA interview

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

Nick Grey mentioned that more than 50% of staff are working on non-module related items. Any insight into what the items are that are actively being worked on at this point?

Indeed. Regarding non-aircraft and map projects that focus on the core product, some of the big ones are:

New terrain engine

Dynamic campaign

New graphics engine

Improved night lighting

FLIR rendering tech

Ground radar tech

Air-to-Surface radar rendering tech

Improved weather (clouds, thermals, humidity, etc.)

New and improved effects

Integrated VOIP

Aircraft AI improvement

Updated replay system

Improved unit visibility

Improved sound engine

Improved network code

And other more confidential aspects…

I think in fact it’s probably even more than 50% of company resources are invested on the core product.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4093986&postcount=222

Development Report #3

Integrated Voice Chat: We are now in the final stretch of rolling out the test version. We’ve added a minimize command, volume options, mic options, and bug fixes. Following the initial release, we will implement the creation of rooms.

This is the most greatest feature that I've been waiting for, more than an Apache or Phantom module. :D

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I am so puffed for next 6 months expectations that I hope I have time when so many new or improved things starts to get released!

This is the nice feeling when there is nice things to expect...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Will this be transmitted via aircraft U/VHF?

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Will be interesting to see the VOIP usage on Stage1+2. Server with established radio protocolls will probably continue to run SRS instead of the barebone implementation of VOIP. (With good reason :music_whistling:)

Please dont get me wrong, I like the idea of VOIP integrated. One software less to run, update and no additional server to manage.

Just dont see a single reason / usecase for Stage1+2. Maybe someone can give some?

I hope we as players will be able to enable/disable voip and mute players? Will be terrible if one side is chatting in one single channel or one player is playing songs or talking garbage all the time just to irritate others...

As it may get overseen by the Devs in the wishlist section, I would like to toss in that idea now also here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254447

Great point. +1. Keep those controlls tidy

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Honestly, I think even early stage 1 implementation will be extremely useful and great for the community and the whole dynamic of multiplayer servers.

Even with SRS enabled, I've often had no one else using it.

The integrated VOIP allows even more passive players to listen in and coordinate with others.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Will be interesting to see the VOIP usage on Stage1+2. Server with established radio protocolls will probably continue to run SRS instead of the barebone implementation of VOIP. (With good reason :music_whistling:)

Please dont get me wrong, I like the idea of VOIP integrated. One software less to run, update and no additional server to manage.

Just dont see a single reason / usecase for Stage1+2. Maybe someone can give some?

I hope we as players will be able to enable/disable voip and mute players? Will be terrible if one side is chatting in one single channel or one player is playing songs or talking garbage all the time just to irritate others...

Great point. +1. Keep those controlls tidy

Agreed - stages 1 and 2 are just replicating teamspeak/discord capabilities that already exist and can be used even if not in game.

3 is where the benefit really arrives for ED and the community. Having said that though almost everyone in Blueflag pg last night was on SRS, so I really doubt that people will move over before whatever Ed provides is at least as good/configurable as SRS is.

And for sure - I want the option of muting the ‘general’ rooms. Please have that as a setting such that you don’t have to press ‘mute’ every time you join a server. That’s a faff. Give us an option to change the default setting from ‘on’ to ‘off’

I see every stage as useful. Stage 1 will likely bring more people in comms and I'd personally welcome not having to use a separate program for that. Last time I played MP, Discord was just going weird on me, for example and I had to Alt+Tab several times and restart it. Stage 2 would work well, if you could still hear the coalition-wide channel (because of AWACS and GCI). Stage 3 is of course what everyone is waiting for and it''l enable us to not have to rely and update 3rd party software all the time.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

People that want to communicate via voice already do that. People that doesn't want to communicate via voice will just mute the channel. Especially in phase one. I, for sure, do not want to listen 30 people speaking in one channel.

This is indeed a general problem with all implementations of integrated VOIP. It's a good idea on paper, but it tends to run into a couple of real-world limitations that make it less used and less useful than one would expect.

One is what you bring up here: people who want to communicate already do; those who don't won't, even if it's integrated. There will be some “convertees”, so to speak, but they're more likely to quickly transition to external solutions.

External solutions hold numerous advantages, such as — quite obviously — not being tied to the client. If the client crashes, you can still talk to people and tell them that, hey, I crashed and I'll be reconnecting shortly. They also offer a level of crowd-control that integrated solutions never do (they can't, because that would rather defeat the purpose): if a speaker is annoying, just kick him from the voip server. Ironically, this is why open rooms/groups rather than fully integrated comms kind of work better for an integrated solution — it's easy to have the groups be controlled or “owned” by someone and that person can then toss out any troublemakers.

There's also the common-denominator and critical mass issue. External solutions offer said advantages (and a couple more) so more advanced or organised users will use those and eschew the integrated voip. Consequently, the integrated voip is of limited use to those potential convertees: the people they speak to won't be the ones who rely heavily on voip to get things done, so they will remain an isolated interested-but-not-entirely-convinced clique. If and when they figure out that talking over voip would actually self-destruct the plane, they will then join the larger crowd on their external platform.

This is not to say that integrated voip is bad or should not happen — just that the predictions of a rosy future often tends to be… well… rosy. In practice, it will not make as drastic a difference as one might first think, especially not if it has to compete against an existing fully established and very robust platform.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I personally see no benefit releasing VOIP until you can use it with the radios; defeats the entire point of it. I'd stick with SRS if that's the case.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Why doesn't ED just integrate SRS into DCS so that it isn't a separate client? Dev has already done the work and it works. Hire the guy and be done with it

Wags last comment on the AMA on Mudspike:

Question: Is ED looking at integrating features like those from the community (like SRS, SLmod, etc)?

Answer: These are great products, but we prefer to develop in-house solutions that we can better support and avoid core product conflicts.

SRS is great and an integration would have saved some time (and already Stage3 ready...), but they decided against it. Their product, their choice. Maybe the Devs of those 3rd party mods simply didnt want to? Who knows.

Development is already in progress and from what it seems a stage 1 release should be coming Soon™ (two weeks :smartass:).

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

SRS is great and an integration would have saved some time (and already Stage3 ready...), but they decided against it. Their product, their choice. Maybe the Devs of those 3rd party mods simply didnt want to? Who knows.

Development is already in progress and from what it seems a stage 1 release should be coming Soon™ (two weeks :smartass:).

For me making VOIP a core element rather than a third party add-on makes good strategic sense. If you are going to provide and support in game chat then have complete control and expertise over it IMHO.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

What is even so surprsing about releasing it in stages? Even given that VoIP is nothing new and probably a lot of existing open-source technologies can be implemented, it still needs to be tailored to the game, and releasing in stages enables them to troubleshoot it along the way.

We never know just how long any given feature will take to fully implement, but there's also nothing hinting at a 3rd stage being years away once the initial implementation starts progressing.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

What is even so surprsing about releasing it in stages

Nothing surprising about having milestone in a Project. But should they be released barebone to the playerbase? Up to ED. I don't mind, just let me mute/disable it, since I don't want to hear 30 guys at the same time everytime I go into a public server.

User created groups are a bit more usable, but there is still better alternatives out there.

So until ED has a stable, frequency based, encryption enabled (BluFor/Redfor) solution, I stick to the "old" trusty SRS which was developed/supported for years and released as freeware to the community. :thumbup:

Another thing worth pointing out is that, if they want to do this, they probably need to create a stand-alone out-of-game client as well so that it integrates properly with everything from basic F10 GCI to stuff like LotATC (and it would also circumvent the inherent problem that the comms die if the client dies, which is the bane of all in-client comms solutions).

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧