When playing multiplayer games, You can watch the cockpit of others players.

chn6

Air combat simulation is still a game genre with few players, however many people are interested in flight simulators after watching exciting air combat movies. One of the reasons that hindered more people from becoming simulation pilots is that they are not stimulated to initiate their flight sim career. DCS provides an excellent platform, among all kinds of existing DCS fans, there is a consistent number of people who are keen on various competitions. We believe that a successful cyber gaming activity must have a successful model of competition, and a successful competition will attract an increasing number of potential players to join in.

Starting from 2004, other E-sports had much more success than the air combat simulation in terms of cyber game competition. Comparing it with a similar catergory---- racing simulation had far more followers, partially due to the ease of access to the players' cockpit in racing games. However this is not the case with flight simulators and there is no existing flight sim which allows the spectators to follow the players' cockpits through Internet. This is why we are currently only providing the the external view which appears very monotonous.

Now, DCS has provided a sophiticated technical solution to allow two players to take control of one single aircraft. By extending the very same technology, players' view sharing in the server can be achieved. The instrument data transmission may not be neccessary, but the players' head movement data are desirable.

As how we are operating now, in order to broadcast the competition, we are making each contestant send their live streams to the server first, the server will broadcast all the live streams to the followers in a second time. Obviously this process will cause a delay which makes the cockpit view and the external view desynchronised. We need a function which allows viewing of the other players' cockpit and their head movements. We believe this is an important function that can significantly change the future.

a0512a048.thumb.jpg.3315bbfbce9ebde3e38001c774593d6f.jpg

a0512a089.jpg.99da5f8fbe867fa1f3bd64b464515355.jpg

Edited by chn6

In order to see the cockpit you would have to have the files downloaded already for the module in question (license/buying problem). To prevent cheating (through live Internet voice chat) the players would have to be together in the tournament's physical place (big problem). Or just send their streams after like they currently can do. Even with the right tech the streams should be delayed depending on the game type (a few seconds for a dogfight, few minuters for BVR, hours for bigger missions).

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

It makes me cringe every time if I see DCS mentioned as an eSports title...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

There are already tournaments and meetings like Satal, Real War, etc. or some aerobatic events. It promotes DCS and it's a good thing overall. I admit I don't like the competition side of it too.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

There is also a potential for training here. Being able to see the live perspective from a trainee pilot position would be useful for all kinds of coaching scenarios, think of carrier landing or AAR for example.

re: E-Sports, I totally see the added benefit of this.

In order to see the cockpit you would have to have the files downloaded already for the module in question (license/buying problem). To prevent cheating (through live Internet voice chat) the players would have to be together in the tournament's physical place (big problem). Or just send their streams after like they currently can do. Even with the right tech the streams should be delayed depending on the game type (a few seconds for a dogfight, few minuters for BVR, hours for bigger missions).

Just like F2 field of view, this function can add permission options, which is very simple. Some people can ignore this function, but others need it.

+1,000,000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

There is also a potential for training here. Being able to see the live perspective from a trainee pilot position would be useful for all kinds of coaching scenarios, think of carrier landing or AAR for example.

re: E-Sports, I totally see the added benefit of this.

Fully agree :thumbup:

Air combat simulation should be the most vital E-sports. Why? Because other E-sports events are either completely elevated themes, such as lol, or there are real competitions in reality, such as F1, only air combat, which is the most confrontational and complex event for human beings to control machinery, and an event that has happened in the real world but cannot be reproduced.

Many human activities on the battlefield have become sports competitions, such as javelin and fencing. Because of its danger and complexity, air combat can never be a competition in the real world. Therefore, only the virtual world is the only place where air combat can be carried out

I believe that in 100 years, air combat simulation will be the most successful sports, like today's football and basketball, but we need to work hard from now on.

• 1 month later...
Air combat simulation should be the most vital E-sports. Why? Because other E-sports events are either completely elevated themes, such as lol, or there are real competitions in reality, such as F1, only air combat, which is the most confrontational and complex event for human beings to control machinery, and an event that has happened in the real world but cannot be reproduced.

Many human activities on the battlefield have become sports competitions, such as javelin and fencing. Because of its danger and complexity, air combat can never be a competition in the real world. Therefore, only the virtual world is the only place where air combat can be carried out

I believe that in 100 years, air combat simulation will be the most successful sports, like today's football and basketball, but we need to work hard from now on.

This sounds like an old friend @六

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Pardon my french, but we dont need that eSports bullshit in a studysim environment.

It only attracts people that minmax to win at any price and be super edge competitive instead of leaning towards the study and realism aspect that makes DCS what it is. I dont want these people to flood the servers and **** everything up.

Use MAC for this idea, that will be the proper audience.

Gone for good.

• 1 month later...
Pardon my french, but we dont need that eSports bullshit in a studysim environment.

It only attracts people that minmax to win at any price and be super edge competitive instead of leaning towards the study and realism aspect that makes DCS what it is. I dont want these people to flood the servers and **** everything up.

Use MAC for this idea, that will be the proper audience.

You obviously don’t understand the explosive growth of E-Sports.

It happens to be the single fastest growing entity in broadcasting with more money being spent to build competition / presentation / distribution facilities than anything else on the planet right now.

If properly presented with both historical and technical context, why wouldn’t Air Combat be as appealing as Rocket League or Overwatch or any other game. And frankly, I think the “Sim” aspect could be quite appealing as it would take proper training, communication, etc. to persevere and win.

Who wouldn’t want to win a large cash prize for winning a world-class air combat tournament?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

If properly presented with both historical and technical context, why wouldn’t Air Combat be as appealing as Rocket League or Overwatch or any other game. And frankly, I think the “Sim” aspect could be quite appealing as it would take proper training, communication, etc. to persevere and win.
Because the successful e-sport titles are accessible to the masses even if mastered by a few. The appeal of DCS is the polar opposite with a niche enthusiast market. "Proper" sims just don't feature in the big numbers, your examples illustrate just that, people like to get good by playing a lot rather than studying or training.

A challenge with competitive multiplayer is that balance is hard to achieve especially when the simulation side is developing. The focus becomes on fairness which isn't how real world air combat works! Becoming an e-Sport first and foremost would be massively restrictive for simulation development which IMHO is the fundamental aspiration of the product. Multiplayer is a very welcome by-product of the simulation but not its raison d'être in my opinion.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Because the successful e-sport titles are accessible to the masses even if mastered by a few. The appeal of DCS is the polar opposite with a niche enthusiast market. "Proper" sims just don't feature in the big numbers, your examples illustrate just that, people like to get good by playing a lot rather than studying or training.

A challenge with competitive multiplayer is that balance is hard to achieve especially when the simulation side is developing. The focus becomes on fairness which isn't how real world air combat works! Becoming an e-Sport first and foremost would be massively restrictive for simulation development which IMHO is the fundamental aspiration of the product. Multiplayer is a very welcome by-product of the simulation but not its raison d'être in my opinion.

Which begs the question: Are flight sims niche because few people enjoy them, or do few people enjoy flight sims because they are niche?

IOW, would the genre benefit from wider exposure?

Consider the History Channel program “Dogfights” which is essentially “flight sim” presentations of certain key aerial encounters throughout military history. Now picture the same type of show but with the graphics being generated by real time flying. Add CJ Lemoine as “Color Commentator” (as he has already done on a couple of other tournaments) or maybe Laobi (God forbid .. LOL)

DCS is a commercial product so it’s not like you’d be monetizing a religion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Which begs the question: Are flight sims niche because few people enjoy them, or do few people enjoy flight sims because they are niche?
Fans of what is being simulated is niche and is likely to get ever more niche, I would suggest it is an aging fanbase. Just as is the case with motorsport. The same discussion has been going in the sim racing forums. People who are into it can't understand how the general public don't want to make serious race and flight sims a massive e-Sport and it is simply a matter of exposure. The numbers are tiny in the gaming world and I don't see that changing any time soon.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat