F/A-18 vs F-16 Turn rate?

BuzzU

i've been off for a while, how's the situation for the guys still flying? the viper still can't fight the hornet on the 2-circle?

The HAF manual says that a Viper with drag index of 0 and GW of 22,000lb (i.e. 26% fuel and no pylons) should achieve a turn rate of 21.4 deg/s sustained; I got the same thing in DCS.

If you try the next test point which is a drag index of 50 and GW of 26,000lb it says you should get around 18 deg/s sustained. I tried it with 2xAIM-120C and 2xAim-9M(on the inner launchers) and 60% fuel for a gross weight of 26,000lb; Admittedly the drag index here is around 30 (can't find the DI for the AIM-120C) I got 19.4 deg/s sustained.

The thread that won't die.

I created a monster.

A lovely monster full of information:joystick:

Edited by CypherS

The HAF manual says that a Viper with drag index of 0 and GW of 22,000lb (i.e. 26% fuel and no pylons) should achieve a turn rate of 21.4 deg/s sustained; I got the same thing in DCS.

If you try the next test point which is a drag index of 50 and GW of 26,000lb it says you should get around 18 deg/s sustained. I tried it with 2xAIM-120C and 2xAim-9M(on the inner launchers) and 60% fuel for a gross weight of 26,000lb; Admittedly the drag index here is around 30 (can't find the DI for the AIM-120C) I got 19.4 deg/s sustained.

A lovely monster full of information:joystick:

i was more concerned about the hornet performance in relation with the viper, when i left the hornet was easily able to sustain a better turn rate. Since both flight models were WIP, any changes between that kind of confrontation happened?

i was more concerned about the hornet performance in relation with the viper, when i left the hornet was easily able to sustain a better turn rate. Since both flight models were WIP, any changes between that kind of confrontation happened?

They added drag to the pylons recently. However, it doesn't accelerate according to documents (much slower), I made a bug report about it.

I think the issue is there is no solid data about the Hornet's newer engines, there is one data point from a GAO document which in agreement with DCS's flight model.

There is a non-classified document (A1-F18AC-750-300) that has the EPE Hornet's turn performance, but there is no copy of it online.

Using pilot testimonies isn't very accurate as well, as most of what is online is from blk30 pilots. The blk 50 gained a bit of weight over the blk 30

They added drag to the pylons recently. However, it doesn't accelerate according to documents (much slower), I made a bug report about it.

I think the issue is there is no solid data about the Hornet's newer engines, there is one data point from a GAO document which in agreement with DCS's flight model.

There is a non-classified document (A1-F18AC-750-300) that has the EPE Hornet's turn performance, but there is no copy of it online.

Using pilot testimonies isn't very accurate as well, as most of what is online is from blk30 pilots. The blk 50 gained a bit of weight over the blk 30

Thanks for the update

I forgot where I read it but I read that ED was forced to give the Hornet better performance than it should have. I assume by the Navy.

Not so for the Viper. So, it should be more accurate to the real plane.

Buzz

? i don't know, the interview Wags did with Fighter pilot Podcast he stated they cant make the f18 as accurate in certain areas to protect the warfighters, believe it was with AOA stuff....

Well there are videos out there of the Super Hornet doing Cobra-like maneuvers at around 90 deg AoA. I'm not sure if the legacy Hornet is capable of such things, but what you're saying may be true

? i don't know, the interview Wags did with Fighter pilot Podcast he stated they cant make the f18 as accurate in certain areas to protect the warfighters, believe it was with AOA stuff....

so they have to protect warfighters flying legacy hornets, but not those flying vipers? interesting.

I dont know but considering the performance charts are " restricted" but not classified, then it seems that if anyone wanted to know how to defeat the Hornet they would have the already gotten their hands on EM diagrams and model in a simulation if they really wanted to anyways.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Where can i find weights of the different F-16 versions?

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions.html shows same weight for Block 30 and 50 :(

I thought the biggest weight creep was between Block 15 and Block 25.

Edited by Youda

I have a tendency to believe that the Russians, Chinese, Iranians and Koreans already know pretty much everything about the Hornet and Falcon with regard to capabilities, certainly much more the DCS probably does, and does anyone really believe these 'rival' nations would use a commercially available flight sim to gather their intelligence? They've either gotten that info long ago through agents for hacking. I'm sure once one has it, they sell it to the others. Although, the 911 terrorist supposedly used Microsoft Flight Simulator to learn enough about commercial airliners to turn them into weapons.

Edited by rfxcasey

I have a tendency to believe that the Russians, Chinese, Iranians and Koreans already know pretty much everything about the Hornet and Falcon with regard to capabilities, certainly much more the DCS probably does, and does anyone really believe these 'rival' nations would use a commercially available flight sim to gather their intelligence? They've either gotten that info long ago through agents for hacking. I'm sure once one has it, they sell it to the others. Although, the 911 terrorist supposedly used Microsoft Flight Simulator to learn enough about commercial airliners to turn them into weapons.

Talk to Wags and company about it. He explained it quite clearly in the interview.:thumbup:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

At the moment you lose the rate fight too.

This is terribly annoying...

i7-8700K, Z370, 32GB DDR4-3000MHz, RTX 2080 Ti, FSSB R3L, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, Windows 10 Pro, HP Reverb

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-15C, AV-8B, M2000C, F-5E, A-10C, AJS-37, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-21bis, MiG-29, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 K-4, SA342, UH-1H

One question:

Is the current F-16 module's sustained turn rate still below every other fighter, or was it corrected already ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

One question:

Is the current F-16 module's sustained turn rate still below every other fighter, or was it corrected already ?

Well look what i found (http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=53852). An F-16C with engine F110-GE-129 - aka Block 50.

file.php?id=26580&sid=5fc282a83516d0efb09617d39f8725c8&mode=view

If you load the F-16 to the exact same weight and climb to same altitude, you get the same results.

So it seems the F-16 is correct, it's rather that the other figters are overperforming.

Edited by Youda

So when can we expect a reduction in Hornet's performance to be as realistic as possible? Because probably everyone here most wants the simulator to be realistic...

i7-8700K, Z370, 32GB DDR4-3000MHz, RTX 2080 Ti, FSSB R3L, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, Windows 10 Pro, HP Reverb

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-15C, AV-8B, M2000C, F-5E, A-10C, AJS-37, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-21bis, MiG-29, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 K-4, SA342, UH-1H