Su-33 Carrier Take-Offs = Goodluck

Fang333333

Hey guys,

I am on like mission (4?) on SeaDragons SU-33. I am a month new in DCS although I have a ton of sim and real world experience. My issue is as follows;

My carrier takeoffs are simply based on luck. I do not know why. Yes I am sure of this and I've been testing this. I'm looking at at least 1 out of 8 takeoffs going straight in the water. I follow the training, I follow manuals. I activate "extra brakes" and burners. There is literally no difference. I can track my inputs, basically doing the exact same process and randomly I take off. But I have done nothing different. The next attempt, same inputs. STRAIGHT IN THE WATER. There is nothing, literally nothing I am doing differently. I have flown overweight aircraft, and this flight modeling acts like I am trying to throw a brick into orbit.

I do have a slight chuckle at the thought of the SU family being so "heavy"(?) in real life. Like how many SUs are lying in the bottom of the ocean just from failed takeoffs? At least 50% of their entire fleet, if my DCS experience is even close to being accurate. The pilot farted on takeoff and he dropped like a stone! Even the training I end up getting like a 1 outta 5 if not worse successfull takoffs.

Like there isn't much of a checklist to screw up here. Throttle brakes pullback. Yet it feels like I am entering a super sensitive cheat code in Mortal Combat or something. I even checked to make sure all input device are free and correct/not interfering with eachother.

When I do takeoff, there is no satisfaction, it is literally the feeling of "Oh. It let me takeoff this time."

At this point I am hoping there is a mod or some kind of editing I can do to stop this. I am sick of taking my preflight so serious only to drop in the ocean like a rock.

Reset. Crash. Reset. Crash. Reset. Ooh I caught air and took off! What did I do differently?... Nothing!... Now I can do the mission!. Oops. Shotdown. Reset...

Fang

Edited by Fang333333

I remembered reading about a couple planes going in the water when the Kuznetsov went to Syria but upon looking it up it was from failed arresting wires. A few Chinese J-15s have dropped off the front though because they didn't reverse engineer the engines well enough.

Try this patch by MadDog-IC .. it helped me a lot when I flew this Campaign:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303252/

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Have you lowered the intake grids(10-15% in efficiency)? Taxi to the rear most position? Using the special afterburner mode(500kg of thrust)? Sometimes it helps to not lower flaps until right over the edge, and it is a huge help to retract your landing literally the second your off the carrier.

This is not recommended usually, but As a last resort I sometimes turn off the ACS FBW and do a high alpha pull right before hitting the water

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Always check your weight and make sure to take the rear starting point when being heavier than 28000kg. Also check the inlet grids to be retracted.

Flaps down, trimm fully aft, start brake, full AB, special AB and off you go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Thanks all. I'm gonna a try your suggestions, see if it works. If not I am gonna try patch. I slept on it, feeling like I was over reacting. Got into Sim and straight into water. I did not mess with inlets yet, gonna try that. If not it maybe is addressed in that patch Rudel supplied. There is simply no way this was how the mission was initially intended.

Thanks wonderful forum friends. I'll check back

Fang

Edited by Fang333333

OK. I do not know how to set inlets to 10 or 15, but turning them off seems to take out the randomness. There is a definite difference disabling the inlet covers.

You set the inlet grids either off or on. With them removed you have 10-15% more thrust efficiency - much needed for the heavy take off.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Be very careful of your total take off weight. Loading up your Su-33 with large amounts of A-G ordnance plus a full fuel load can easily increase your all-up weight over the maximum limit, particularly if you use the forward take off positions. It also helps to dial in a little nose-up trim prior to takeoff. As others have said, ensure your intake grids are not deployed and make sure to use the "emergency" thrust option.

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 1 month later...

I was having trouble until I figured out the right amount of back stick to pull: A lot of it! The whole aircraft should be shaking and vertical velocity should read -1 or -2 meters/second at the most, until you gain enough speed to start rising. It sure is stressful

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

anything below 27 tons take off weight is a breeze. Anything above is not such a breeze:)

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of talk about weight. I went into the sea a couple of times and didn't get it until ... You must always wait for the engine to spin up fully before releasing brakes:

-LShift W

-full throttle

-wait

-release LShift W

-LShift E

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))