First Skins

crazyeddie

Just had a go at my first couple of skins. A Russian Mig 21 and a Royal Navy F4-K using the stock F4-E. The F4 is pretty accurate for a RNAS Yoevilton based 767 Sqn Aircraft of the 1960's, had to move a few things around to make it fit - The Mig is just an idea for a camo version based on Yeolons Mig 21.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of knocking about in a Royal Navy 892 Sqn F4-K a few times in the 1960's as an FAC, scared the hell out of me but sure taught me how hard it was for those guys to hit a ground target. But they were pretty damn good at it !!!

Some planes you just have to love, the F4 must be my all time favourite, followed by the F18 then the Mig 29.

Nice Skins, and something different thats cool, I still got my F-4 Spangdahlem skin "Ghost Grey" over here..

anyway , I really like tha Airbase in tha Background too, all those buildings and all that... I know how to place trees and all that but how did u get this Big kinda Shelters placed there , talkin bout those Big Grey Structures..?? :huh:.:thumbup:

If all real wars could only be fought in DCS.

It took a long time - I found out what each building and woodland shape in the sim was and changed the Terrain/Structures/High files around until I had all the major buildings and woodland shapes available as placement objects in the mission builder. I used a combination of Birdy's guidance to create new CLSID files and kept experimenting until I had the ones I liked. I have just used buildings etc that are in the sim already with a couple of texture changes to make some of them look more like hangars etc. It needed a major rewrite of the MeInit file as well - but the real credit goes to guys like Birdy who pointed me in the right direction and gave some really helpful advice as I went along. I'm still experimenting, my aim is to make those airfields look populated. Having a break whilst I teach myself about skinning, long way to go on that !

Awesome skins! and what mods are you using for the background? they look nice.

EDIT: oh never mind about the mods. could you make it modman compatible?

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

I think the problem with my scenery is compatability with everyone else's mod's, I have changed so much in my MeInit file, 2 new country's etc, it would take hours to change all the textures and do everything else. I will put the skins in Modman when I have weathered them a bit and sorted out a few small mistakes.

If you want to do something similar my best advice is read Birdy's guidance on how to create scenery, it's a great place to start and once you master his system you can do just about anything you want to.