RTX 2080 vs 2080ti vs GTX 1080ti

Teleblaster

Not sure if I’m posting this in the right place, but I’m considering making some upgrades to my pc and I’m wondering how best to spend my money. Right now I have an Oculus CV1, GTX 1060, Intel i7 7700, 16gb ddr4. This setup really isn’t sufficient for vr, and I’m tired of dealing with it. I’m planning on upgrading to 32gb ddr4 memory, and upgrading my graphics card, but I’m not sure which way to go. I’ve read that the 2080 gives better performance than the 1080ti, but a lot of that has to do with ray tracing which I’m not sure even applies to DCS. I’m half tempted to go all out on the 2080ti just to cover my needs for the foreseeable future, but I’d only want to do that if it will give me a substantial improvement over the 1080ti or 2080. Which graphics card will give me the best performance without spending more than I need to? Is the 2080ti worth the extra money for DCS? I’m not a gamer, I only use this system for DCS. Also, am I missing another important upgrade?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s advice.

While not a direct answer to your questions, I went from a plain 1080 to a 2080, also on an i7 7700 albeit a k version clocked at 4.8 ghz. After replacing my Rift S with a Valve Index, I found the 1080 simply couldn't keep up anymore, and going to the 2080 was a marked improvement. Suddenly staying locked at 40 FPS is possible, even when turning up the details a bit. Shadows is still a FPS killer though.

Had decided to go for a 2080 Super really, as that is in a pretty sweet spot cost/performance wise, but then I found a cheapish used plain 2080 and just went for that instead, no regrets.

The 2080Ti I just find prohibitively expensive..

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

Overall the 2080 Ti is about 25% faster in DCS VR than the 2080 Super, 28% faster than the 2080 and about 30% faster than the 1080 Ti in pure FPS. In actual experience thru the VR lenses, the 2080 Ti feels, .... ehh, ... slightly better to me than the 1080 Ti but not groundbreakingly so, if you catch my drift. The optimized sweet spot right now for DCS and VR is probably the 1080 Ti (DCS does not take advantage of any of the ray tracing stuff anyway). The 2080 Ti is roughly $300 to $400 more than the 1080 Ti. Only you can decide if that 30% is worth it. The three top contenders for best VR headset with DCS are the Oculus Rift S, the Valve Index and the HP Reverb. In my opinion and the opinions of several others that work in my lab, the Reverb by a small margin is the best VR headset specifically as pertains to DCS. If you have the Reverb, or plan to go with the Index, ... then I do recommend the 2080 Ti, bc you will need that card to give you the very best performance with the least ghosting. The Reverb with the 1080 Ti for example does not do as well and has noticeable ghosting.

If I’m reading this right, it sounds to me like the 2080 is faster than the 1080ti, so what makes you choose the 1080ti over the 2080?

I looked very hard at the 1080Ti too, however as it is not being made anymore, the few used and up for sale are more expensive than a 2080, around these parts at least. That made it rather easy to choose between 1080Ti and 2080 for me.

Regarding headsets, keep in mind Reverb has no IPD adjustment, so best to try before you buy. That was the reason I traded in Rift S for Index.

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

Right now I’m focusing on upgrading the graphics card and memory, so I’m not in the market for a new headset yet. My plan is to live with the CV1 for now, but upgrade the graphics card with the intention of it being able to handle the next generation of headsets that hopefully will come out in a year or two. Which is why I’m at least considering the 2080ti. I just want to make sure that it will be worth the investment, and it’s starting to sound like it would be judging by what Aurelius said.

...upgrade the graphics card with the intention of it being able to handle the next generation of headsets that hopefully will come out in a year or two. Which is why I’m at least considering the 2080ti. I just want to make sure that it will be worth the investment, and it’s starting to sound like it would be judging by what Aurelius said.

The 1080ti has alteady hard time to handle the latest HMDs. I don’t think that you can expect even a 2080ti to be able to handle well the future HMDs but if there is a card that could, it is this one at the moment.

I would not buy a new GPU without knowing the HMD that will go with it. In your place, I would postpone the GPU buy when you decide to change your CV1 or buy the cheapest GPU that match the best your CV1 (to play at 90Hz)

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Rift CV1 user here, FWIW for me it's.

CPU Clock CPU Cock CPU Clock Sorry but DCS VR is very dependant on this.

Even if it's an OC'ed 9700K. I don't know about AMD here but for Intel yes even 100Mhz increments make a difference.

16GB to 32GB RAM and 3Ghz or better.

2080Ti, I upgraded from a 1080Ti and TBH it's an improvement a goodly improvement but it's not as great as you might expect for the money so maybe a 2080 but I wouldn't go back.

Even then you wont be able to run everything flat out.

HTH

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Why not wait? I am clocking all to the limits and beyond! :D

I have all maxed out! I'll hope end of this year or in the first two quaters next year i can build a new system.

I have already 3000 dollars saved for this. Now the waiting.... :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Why not wait? I am clocking all to the limits and beyond! :D

I have all maxed out! I'll hope end of this year or in the first two quaters next year i can build a new system.

I have already 3000 dollars saved for this. Now the waiting.... :D

:thumbup:

That is where I was this time last year... fun times!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Right now I’m focusing on upgrading the graphics card and memory, so I’m not in the market for a new headset yet. My plan is to live with the CV1 for now, but upgrade the graphics card with the intention of it being able to handle the next generation of headsets that hopefully will come out in a year or two. Which is why I’m at least considering the 2080ti. I just want to make sure that it will be worth the investment, and it’s starting to sound like it would be judging by what Aurelius said.

In this situation it would be a toss up for me. Get a new HMD like the S or the 2080Ti? In the end I would choose the 2080Ti simply to get it out of the way and be ready for the next gen of VR headsets. It's expensive as hell but you WILL need it in the future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

It depends how much of a rush you are in, but Nvidia, according to the semi-reliable rumor mill is launching next gen spring 2020.

I know well. So 5800xt, 5900xt and 5950xt are in the works. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

If you didn't buy it so far wait for CES 2020 in January.

Teleblaster, my point is your CPU will serve you for VR at least 2 years so there is no need for upgrade CPU right now. Just right in time to see DCS on Vulcan, ZEN4 and Intels first 7nm answer on it.

As DCS 2.5 is single core based engine your i7 7700 no need to be changed till then to get proper benefit from changing CPU. Right gain will be minor and not worth investment.

For GPU is not right time as well. Nvidia still don't have competition so prices are sky high and current best GPU 2080ti is on its end of cycles. Again in next 6 months to a year situation could drastically change in term of performances and prices.

Only with VR situation is more clear. For DCS best buy options are HP Reverb and Rift-S. they need almost the same amount of resources and DCS work good on GPU in range of 1080ti. Higher is better no doubt but this is satisfactorily as well. But if you buying GPU now don't go belove this 3 card of same performances range but diferent prices.

RX 5700 XT - 400$ new

RTX 2070 Super - 500$ new

GTX 1080ti around 500$ used

This will serve you next 6 month to year until new generations arrive to market and will be easy to sale without significant lost in value.

2080Super and 2080TiSuper are the best in this moment but with possible lost in value in short period, yes you read right 2080TiSuper is coming out in January as an unswer to AMD 5800 XT which is coming out in January as well. The GPU war is already started.

In your situation I will do this upgrade gradually in 3 steps next two years.

Now buy your self Reverb and this transition GPU which you are planing to sell before you even buy it so best option is 5700 XT or wait this 5800XT in January.

In a year get new nextgen GPU who will be much better then it is now 2080ti for less or in worst case same money.

and last, in two years upgrade your CPU who will be significantly better than yours i7 7700 than it is case now.

Edited by wormeaten

You guys have given me a lot of great information. I can’t afford to upgrade my headset, gpu, and cpu to the top next-gen equivalents all next year. I just need to get my current setup more playable for now until I get my credit cards paid down. I could go with a used 1080ti, but right now I can get a new 2080 Super through Best Buy for not much more and have 18 months no interest to pay it off so I might go that route. That will give me some time to start saving for a 3080ti or whatever it ends up being called, and a new headset. Hopefully Vulkan and the planned VR optimizations happen in the meantime.

You guys have given me a lot of great information. I can’t afford to upgrade my headset, gpu, and cpu to the top next-gen equivalents all next year. I just need to get my current setup more playable for now until I get my credit cards paid down. I could go with a used 1080ti, but right now I can get a new 2080 Super through Best Buy for not much more and have 18 months no interest to pay it off so I might go that route. That will give me some time to start saving for a 3080ti or whatever it ends up being called, and a new headset. Hopefully Vulkan and the planned VR optimizations happen in the meantime.

Understandable and reasonable choice and Reverb will work pretty good on that card for that next 18 months.

But I have to tell you to think about it one more time. Maybe you should waith January and release of RX 5800, significantly lower price in pair with performance to 2080Super.

2080Super is 700$ but will lose in that 18 months around 250$ in value for sure.

On other hands 5700XT is 400$ but will lose in that 18 months around 100$ in value with just maybe 15% lover performances.

I'm not sure is it worth it that money but if you got it for some black Friday discount calculate it in this equation.

You know the best your situation and need's. I'm just giving you more data to make best decision for you. Good Luck

Bloody hell, are we still waiting for the VR optimisation? Unreal.

Can’t t believe there’s no mention of the Pimax 5K plus. Amazing in DCS.

If we talking about the budget here how overpriced Pimax 5K can fit in this?

Pimax 5K is 700$ just naked HMD without tracking, controllers and audio. When you add cost for that Pimax 5K is over 1100$ with superior FOV but inferior clarity and performances. To reach similar performances to Reverb or even Rift-S Pimax 5K can't do without 2080ti. So Pimax eliminate him self from this.

Only Pimax 8KX can be compared with Reverb in clarity but only if we don't question about price at all with unlimited fond.

About Vulcan I will take this in consideration as well. Vulcan will be step forward but will not happened in next year or two minimum.

In that time we will get next generations of GPU. In two years we will have first GPU based on chiplets. AMD already using this technology in CPU and Intel and Nvidia announce it in near future with their GPU, That means multiple GPU in one card work as single without need for SLI/CF.

So I gues DCS Vulcan will be not just increasing FPS will be increasing on details in graphics possible even raytracing or something else in similar way like was transition from DX9 to DX11 in DCS 2.5.

That is how I see major benefit from Vulcan in first place with larger and more detailed maps and better light effects in similar way it was transition from 1.5 to 2.5.

If we talking about the budget here how overpriced Pimax 5K can fit in this?

Pimax 5K is 700$ just naked HMD without tracking, controllers and audio. When you add cost for that Pimax 5K is over 1100$ with superior FOV but inferior clarity and performances. To reach similar performances to Reverb or even Rift-S Pimax 5K can't do without 2080ti. So Pimax eliminate him self from this.

Only Pimax 8KX can be compared with Reverb in clarity but only if we don't question about price at all with unlimited fond.

I wouldn´t totally agree to this. First of all, you always read in the forums, that performance relates to the VR headset, to rate/unrate any VR headset. That is not the case, if you put it this way.

You´ll never read any comment, which states, that 4k Flatscreens are badly rated, because they need more performance of the system to expose their fully potential of graphical brilliance in comparison to full HD flatscreens. Performance depends only on your system and the application you´re running on your visual device.

It´s not, that I wanted to correct you´re statement, as you´re finally right by fact, but not in the way of presentation, I think. The presentation itself then leads to wrong assumptions regarding performance and VR headsets.

Now, the P5k has some pretty nice advantages, but the problem with it, is a too blurry image resulting of its panel technology. It could be counteracted by supersampling, but this is an adjustment made by the application or software to enhance any application´s visual quality.

The point in comparison to let´s say the HP Reverb is, that the panels are much more smaller in FOV, means the Reverb has got an higher PPI than the P5K, what results in better clarity and less observable blurryness, what then means you don´t have to put higher software adjustments, like supersampling or MSAA to reach the same visual quality on both compared VR headsets, what, if you do, surely results in a higher demand of performance needed for a 180° 4k display than for a 100° 4k display to perceive the same visual quality.

It´s a matter of individual choice, perception and individual demand.

In my personal opinion, the technolgy of VR headset are still in kind of development and what rejects most people from VR, respectively what needs to be solved by technology to bring VR headsets to an overall valued experience are:

1.) eliminate any screendoor effect by high resolution display technology ( resulting in more clarity / less blurryness )

2.) reaching a more natural perception in VR by increasing horizontally and vertically field of view / increasing or eliminating the sweet spot of the lenses

3.) reaching higher refresh rates/ higher reaction time of the displays/panels to get a more smooth and natural image quality and counteract nausea.

What we have today with each VR headset on the market is a trade of between one ore more of these issues, as the technology is not quite there, to solve all of these at once.

The demand for performance comes more from the usual habits of a 3D shooter generation, which is blessed by being born lately and not have experienced the time, in which software was way ahead with potential graphical fidelity, than Monitors/flatscreens and CPUs/GPUs could provide to reach this potential. I would say we´re quite in the same situation with VR headsets at this time. We have to deal with trade offs.

Which trade off it is, belongs to individual decision, but there´s none VR headsets at present time, which comes without trade offs ( not starting to speak of pricing ).

I´m not very much in thinking of the forums as a competition to profile yourself as the greatest supernerd in the forum, so please simply take my post as one personal opinion on the topic only.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Bloody hell, are we still waiting for the VR optimisation? Unreal.

Can’t t believe there’s no mention of the Pimax 5K plus. Amazing in DCS.

Because in every aspect except for FOV it's beaten by the rift-S and to look nearly as good the S, it needs to supersample to nearly 2x.

And that's before we even start on the bugs, it's lack of comfort and the fact that pimax as a company is an absolute joke that responds to criticism by making lofty and evading promises followed by absolute silence for months.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.