Handles like an airliner

tosmonkey
Go to solution Solved by Theodore42,

So I bought the Viper on pre order but have not done anything with it until recently. Figured I would fly the thing around in preparation for the big update. My first impression is wow, this thing handles like a school bus. I was expecting a sports car, but compared to the Hornet it just seems so sluggish, especially in the roll axis. In comparison, the Hornet feels very precise, requiring minimal stick deflection to get an expected result. The Viper (for me anyway) seems to require a great deal more stick movement and just feels slow to respond. I'm using a CH fighterstick with no curves or dead zones of any kind (same with Hornet). Is this a "me" problem or is anyone else have the same impression? Maybe my expectations of just throwing this thing around were too optimistic.

• Like 1

The FLCS seems to operate non-linearly. I also run with zero curves (Warthog side-stick) and I find that it goes from "low gain" to "high gain", depending on the deflection. Once you get used to it though, it's OK and it can turn on a dime. I also find the Hornet more controllable btw, but I use a center mounted stick for it, with an extension, so it could very well be that.

I remember reading somewhere that you'd need a force sensing grip, like the real thing, to be able to get the proper feel, since the FLCS operates with that in mind.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

In every DCS module I own, I have a 15% saturation curvature for my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The DCS:F-16C Blk. 50 is the sole exception. It's really designed around having 0 axis curvature. Think about the difference in real world stick travel vs your desktop stick.

Take your curves out for this one.

I think its you. This thing turns like hell. Make sure you're not in CAT 3.

Yep, little race car she is :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I think its you. This thing turns like hell. Make sure you're not in CAT 3.

I'm sure it's just my perception of what it was going to feel like doesn't mesh with reality. Definitely in CAT 1 (is that even implemented at this point?) It will certainly turn, just seems to take a lot of stick to get it there. Maybe a center sprung stick would feel different. There seems to be a delay between stick movement and control response, especially evident in the roll axis.

The FLCS seems to operate non-linearly. I also run with zero curves (Warthog side-stick) and I find that it goes from "low gain" to "high gain", depending on the deflection. Once you get used to it though, it's OK and it can turn on a dime. I also find the Hornet more controllable btw, but I use a center mounted stick for it, with an extension, so it could very well be that.

I remember reading somewhere that you'd need a force sensing grip, like the real thing, to be able to get the proper feel, since the FLCS operates with that in mind.

Guess i'm not used to how the FLCS reacts to stick movement. I was expecting it to be like the Hornet. It just feels disconnected if that makes sense.

• Like 1

nope its just how it is, how they simulated it.

which is a prime example of, i don't get the whole simulation, things need to work how they do in irl. Just simulate it- but thats a different topic.

you should of flown the 16 on release day, it was a rocket and they gave us unlimited fuel, now that's all "simulated".

the f16 i have no axis curves. all other dcs planes (f18.) i use a 3 deadzone, 15 curve on joystick, so really im "simulating" a different pitch roll as how it would work irl... who knows.

Edited by will-

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Guess i'm not used to how the FLCS reacts to stick movement. I was expecting it to be like the Hornet. It just feels disconnected if that makes sense.

Sorry for this simple explanation/guess:

I think the "problem" is that you use physical stick movement in the F-18 to steer the jet but in the F-16 you use force(the stick moves barely). But unless you have a force sensing stick you have to move the stick further to "emulate" a stronger force, thats how i understand it. This would explain why you feel that the F-16 behaves "strange" compared to the F-18.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Sorry for this simple explanation/guess:

I think the "problem" is that you use physical stick movement in the F-18 to steer the jet but in the F-16 you use force(the stick moves barely). But unless you have a force sensing stick you have to move the stick further to "emulate" a stronger force, thats how i understand it. This would explain why you feel that the F-16 behaves "strange" compared to the F-18.

can't imagine there are too many home cockpit force sensing sticks out there. How would you even simulate that?

can't imagine there are too many home cockpit force sensing sticks out there. How would you even simulate that?

I have one. from real simulator.

makes flying the viper easier than the centerstick I use for the hornet

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Hi!

If FLCS is properly implemented, this is normal. F-16 FLCS has built-in "curves".

Regards.

Yeah, I read about that. Also has different gains during normal flight, different with the gear down, different with the AAR door open etc. It's very useful, just feels different than other planes.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Verify your AAR door is closed, either by looking at the switch on the fuel panel, or checking the right indexer lights, to the right side of the HUD. If you see the blue NWS while in the air, your door is opened. This means the aircraft is in landing gains, and will be sluggish...yes this is modeled.

I have the FSSB and the jet is pretty snappy especially in the roll axis.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Verify your AAR door is closed, either by looking at the switch on the fuel panel, or checking the right indexer lights, to the right side of the HUD. If you see the blue NWS while in the air, your door is opened. This means the aircraft is in landing gains, and will be sluggish...yes this is modeled.

I have the FSSB and the jet is pretty snappy especially in the roll axis.

Which version? Is it easy to set up etc? I'm considering it.

-

Which version? Is it easy to set up etc? I'm considering it.

I own the old FSSB R1 that I bought for my cougar at the time. I can use it with the cougar stick, or the warthog stick.

I considered upgrading to their latest version before the viper was out, but I can see that my old R1 works just fine

setting it up requires nothing special.

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I have a force sensing stick, the FSSB R3, and the Viper is reaaaaally heavy and requires very high inputs to perform. Flying any other DCS aircraft, like the Hornet or Tomcat, they are much lighter on the stick and very agile. DCS F-16 is NOT agile in comparison.

Reading the real flight manual it should only require a very light pitch input to rotate during takeoff, in DCS I have to pull a substantial amount just to get the nose wheel of the ground.

Also it takes forever to attain high G-loads. The real aircraft should have a VERY high onset rate. This is Early Access, but this is something I hope they are working on.

Regards,

Jax

"Dogfight: He who pulls the stick most violently shall win"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FSSB R3 Warthog - Cougar TUSBA - TPR - Valve Index - AW3418DW

i7-6700K OC @4.9GHz - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - Trident Z CL14 32GB 3200MHz - M.2 950 PRO 512GB + MP510 1920 GB

I have a force sensing stick, the FSSB R3, and the Viper is reaaaaally heavy and requires very high inputs to perform. Flying any other DCS aircraft, like the Hornet or Tomcat, they are much lighter on the stick and very agile. DCS F-16 is NOT agile in comparison.

Reading the real flight manual it should only require a very light pitch input to rotate during takeoff, in DCS I have to pull a substantial amount just to get the nose wheel of the ground.

Also it takes forever to attain high G-loads. The real aircraft should have a VERY high onset rate. This is Early Access, but this is something I hope they are working on.

Regards,

Jax

I do not understand your issue. If you feel like you need to apply too much force with the Viper and the R3, compared to other planes, just go into your DCS settings and make the curves steeper and shorter for the viper roll and pitch axis. You don't even need to mess with the R3 calibration.