VR Reccomendation

Xeon

Good evening all,

I am looking at advancing my current setup to run VR and also buy a headset to do so.

Im currently looking at upgrading the GPU as it needs it anyway and I would like one that can run VR in DCS.

My current specs are:

MSI B450 Gaming Plus Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 2600X @ 3.60 GHZ

16GB RAM

GTX 960 4GB (needs uprgading for sure).

In terms of money I havent got an excat figure in mind and im open to suggestions.

TLDR:

Need reccomendations for a VR headser and new GPU.

Many thanks!

Easiest, essentially plug-n-play solution is the Rift S, which is good enough. Really doesn't need a ton of GPU power to run. 1080/Vega56 is about the just-barely-enough minimum if you're really on a budget, personally I think 2070 super is the sweet spot if you have $ to spend. You're gonna want to upgrade your CPU (yes, VR flogs your CPU) but that 2600X will get you started. SSD will improve your quality of life considerably.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Easiest, essentially plug-n-play solution is the Rift S, which is good enough. Really doesn't need a ton of GPU power to run. 1080/Vega56 is about the just-barely-enough minimum if you're really on a budget, personally I think 2070 super is the sweet spot if you have $ to spend. You're gonna want to upgrade your CPU (yes, VR flogs your CPU) but that 2600X will get you started. SSD will improve your quality of life considerably.

Good advice all

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hi thanks for your helpful response. I think ill go for the rift s it is considerably cheaper than I thought which is nice. I was wondering if the AMD RX5700 xt would be a good alternative to the 2070 as it is about £100 cheaper which is a nice saving.

HP Reverb with a 2070 Super or 5700XT (Sapphire Nitro+) should suffice aswell. HP Reverb and Rift S perform roughly the same. I'm getting a 5700XT with Reverb myself.

nice thanks! What is the main diffrenace between the GTX 2070 and 5700xt in terms of peformance. The 5700xt looks to better as it is cheaper but I dont want to lose much peformance

nice thanks! What is the main diffrenace between the GTX 2070 and 5700xt in terms of peformance. The 5700xt looks to better as it is cheaper but I dont want to lose much peformance

The 5700XT is on the same level as a 2070 Super/normal 2080. Take the Sapphire Nitro+, it's the best along with the Powercolor Red Devil . MSI Gaming X is fine aswell if you absolutely need to push down the price.

The 5700XT is on the same level as a 2070 Super/normal 2080. Take the Sapphire Nitro+, it's the best along with the Powercolor Red Devil . MSI Gaming X is fine aswell if you absolutely need to push down the price.

Tempting but not many benchmarks in DCS/VR

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I would worry too much about the drivers / shutters going with an AMD and VR.

I would go Rift S possibly. I still have the CV1, so I have other VR games I play also with it from time to time that are on the oculus store. Just waiting to see if there is another big leap in VR tech, so I'll just keep my CV1 for now I guess.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Check that what price you would get for a other 16GB of RAM. As even 8GB more could improve your features to be enabled.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I would worry too much about the drivers / shutters going with an AMD and VR.

Very interesting to me these rumors. We have yet to encounter someone who is using AMD cards and VR in DCS, anyway people are already spreading the rumors that NVidia > AMD somehow when it comes to DCS VR. How many have tried and reported? 1? 0?

Just look at 4k benchmarks where there 5700XT gets compared to 2070 / 2070 Super / 2080 or 1080 Ti and then you can extrapolate. If you know what to do with overclocking 5700XT you can get to 2080 founders edition performance, AMD cards are way less restrictive how much power you can pull for the card than NVidia.

Rift S hands down.

I had the original one but the new version is so much better, it really is especially for the price point.

Also considering the hardware it should run better than a reverb. I have tried the Vive Pro but preferred the rift s.

Also with the Rift its literally plug and play and fully supported within DCS so no frustrations as heard few people with issues with primax/reverb/WMR etc.

I run it on an RTX2080 and get 40fps with high settings.

Lastly congrats for going VR there is no going back its a quantum leap forward, the addition to your SA is outstanding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Also considering the hardware it should run better than a reverb. ...

Nooooo, stop spreading this right here mate. The Reverb does NOT need as much AA or upping in pixel density as the Rift S does. So no, the Rift S does NOT run better than the Reverb, it's about equal.

Nooooo, stop spreading this right here mate. The Reverb does NOT need as much AA or upping in pixel density as the Rift S does. So no, the Rift S does NOT run better than the Reverb, it's about equal.

Out of curiosity, have you ran both?

Also of note is Rift S runs at a lower refresh rate, 80 Hz which also helps in the performance department.

I have only run Rift and Rift S, so really can not compare to Reverb. I do know though I get quite good performance with some nice GFX settings with my Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...

For the VR headset be sure to take into account your IPD (distance between your eyes), as the Rift S and Reverb have no adjustment for this. This can place your eyes well outside of the sweet spot and make everything blurry/hazy no matter what you do. If you want IPD adjustment the only good choices are the Odyssey and the Index.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

Very interesting to me these rumors. We have yet to encounter someone who is using AMD cards and VR in DCS, anyway people are already spreading the rumors that NVidia > AMD somehow when it comes to DCS VR. How many have tried and reported? 1? 0?

I've got a 5700xt coming next week, happy to test... But i don't have vr. My cousin does though. Hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

For the VR headset be sure to take into account your IPD (distance between your eyes), as the Rift S and Reverb have no adjustment for this. This can place your eyes well outside of the sweet spot and make everything blurry/hazy no matter what you do. If you want IPD adjustment the only good choices are the Odyssey and the Index.

The Rift S have IPD settings!!!

You can adjust the IPD at a software level from 58mm to 72mm and it works just fine.