Where/how can we share static templates?

sirrah

I searched the ED user files download section, but I can't seem to find any static templates. ED forums currently do not allow us to attach .stm files (static template format). Where can I upload static templates?

I created a static template for a rather large FARP base including a 3000ft dirt strip, on Musandam (Oman PG). I tried to make use of the ground textures as much as possible and only placed static units from the base game, so that no mods are required. Thought I might as well share it here, but I'm not sure how..

It's statics only by the way (active ground units will have to be placed by the mission designer)

Edit:

Added zip file with static template

Untitled5.thumb.jpg.5a578e721b20c7aad47715dc053497e1.jpg

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.ce7743fd5f7b2cf7bb7545b296e07e14.jpg

Untitled7.thumb.jpg.251dc71f2cc3eb775ef01c1d56c6f6fc.jpg

Extended FARP.zip

Untitled4.thumb.jpg.c68435b8126620ce91afb7accf65f2c6.jpg

Untitled3.thumb.jpg.962a973aeb5ef9e81fbe61972cc8c76d.jpg

Untitled6.thumb.jpg.9fa83252f8ff6ef6c70e818c05198b82.jpg

Untitled.thumb.jpg.0d674ad195bacb3418494b879784797e.jpg

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hello,

You can compress the Template into a ZIP file, that can be attached to your post. There is already a thread with Static Templates for the Persian Gulf Map, perhaps you could post it there: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223243

I agree that a Template with a dozen Mods is unappealing to many users, but using one or two helps a lot to overcome DCS limitations ... for your Template I would make use of the Desert Farp Mod: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=219054

Several months ago, I tried to convince ED of the convenience of adding a Static Template category on the Users Files: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244035 ... but I failed to convince them :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hello,

You can compress the Template into a ZIP file, that can be attached to your post. There is already a thread with Static Templates for the Persian Gulf Map, perhaps you could post it there: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223243

I agree that a Template with a dozen Mods is unappealing to many users, but using one or two helps a lot to overcome DCS limitations ... for your Template I would make use of the Desert Farp Mod: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=219054

Several months ago, I tried to convince ED of the convenience of adding a Static Template category on the Users Files: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244035 ... but I failed to convince them :(

Ah of course, zip... Why didn't I think of that :P

I purposely didn't use mods as I don't like having to install all kind of mods before I can play a mission

I wish however, that ED will add some of those wonderful user made mods to their core game. Some of them are absolute gems!

Even though it's mod-less, I'll add it to the thread you suggested

Edit: hmm.. apparently one can't upload the same files twice in different threads. Ah well, didn't really belong in the "mods" section anyways :)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I purposely didn't use mods as I don't like having to install all kind of mods before I can play a mission

"Installing" isn't really the correct term .. If you use a Mod Manager, you can enable or disable a Mod with a single click:

nvlnh0I.jpg

... and with two clicks I can disable all Mods (for example, before a DCS update), and with another two clicks re-enable the same Mods back :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I know, I used it too. But I've encountered weird issues on several occasions. Like falling through the ground, unstable gameplay with ctd's and more.. Mostly triggered after one of ED's updates and usually only solvable by removing all mods, running cleanup and repair.

Anyways, as I said, I really like some of the available mods and ED should do good to implement at least a few of them to their base game. I'm sure the users that designed them would be honored and it would greatly expand options for mission builders

And, looking at for instance this user made skin, it is possible for ED to use user made stuff :)

The OB users could obviously test it before rolling it out to stable

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

Edit:

Added zip file with static template

Hello,

I downloaded it and have just gave it a try .. it looks really really nice, cant imagine how many hours you spent editing it, as it is really large and detailed. I loved the fact that you found a place where ED had left a large paved surface, and were able to incorporate it on your design:

aqUlyVf.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about the high unit count, over a thousand .. almost all are statics, but even so I'm not sure how it will impact a missions performance when flying from those FARPs, I still need to try it a bit more, as my PC is a middle of the pack unit that could get bogged down rather easily:

lycp2KT.jpg

Tomorrow I will try it a bit more using my trusty Huey :) ... thanks a lot for sharing :thumbup:

Eduardo

sirrah,

Very, very nice, thanks for sharing it! I've done a couple of templates which are similar, but much less detailed than this one, and so I can only guess at the many hours it took to line things up, get it just right, etc. I think this one is beyond my current talent and/or patience, but I'm glad you did it and that I can just glom onto it. I might even learn a few things from it!

FWIW, I agree with you about omitting mods, at least for scenarios designed for multiplayer. Yes, mods are plentiful, easy to get and load, and many are very nice indeed. But as soon as DCS changes something, as you note they can end up not working until the authors update them; and by the time that happens, DCS may have changed something else. I'm not complaining about frequent changes; it's actually one of the things I like best about DCS - they are constantly improving it. But when running scenarios for multiple players, some of whom you may not even know, it seems like a big ask to require that everyone else get one or more mods in order for them to fly. Thus, I too eschew them in my MP scenarios.

El Vert

Hello,

I downloaded it and have just gave it a try .. it looks really really nice, cant imagine how many hours you spent editing it, as it is really large and detailed.

Good to hear you like it

As for time spent.. copy paste is your friend :D

System specs:

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, jpinard said:

That's awesome!  Where do I put the file?

put it on /saved games/DCS/StaticTemplate/ .. if this last folder doesn’t exist yet, create it using windows file management.

Now that we have a "Static Templates" section over at the user files section (thanks to @Rudel_chw), I also uploaded the template from my OP to here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313843/

• Like 1

System specs:

38 minutes ago, sirrah said:

I also uploaded the template from my OP to here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313843/

Thanks for sharing 👍 May I suggest that you include the "StaticTemplate" folder inside the zip file, that would simplify the installation by the end-users since this Folder is not created by default by DCS. The zip looks like this:

SJ7CzWq.jpg

Then you just tell the users to simply unzip the contents on their /Saved games/DCS/ folder. 🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw