MiG-21bis - my impression

bies

I've bought a MiG-21bis some time days ago on sale, this is my impression.

What a magnifient job this team have done!

This plane is full of features like engine stalls and surges, pneumatic pressure simulation, quirks of autopilot of this era and navigation systems, great flight model - for the first time in a simulator i can feel i fly delta wing, tricky landings and ground handling, semi automatic weapon employment, simple old tech radar with it's subtleties and limitations etc.etc.

And a plane from this era is in natural way, fortunately, not some flying computer. It's a hands on, manual legendary aircraft from the most engaging and skill demanding era of aviation when you have today plane's performance but no computers to fly and shoot for you. If you want to kill some enemy you need to do that by yourself!

And it's a Warpac plane to make some balance in MP, in fact the most popular Soviet plane of the cold war.

There are some small imperfections like exterior of the plane seen from the cockpit in VR when the canopy is open, but overall impression and experience is simply fantastic. It's the most pleasurable module in DCS i have. And i have most of them.

If their Crusader is meant to represent similar level of detail i can preorder it now.

Edited by bies

There are only few aircrafts in DCS that has the feeling and immersion of flying some mean big machine. F-14B is one of them, Viggen is one of them, Mi-8MTv2 is one of them and MiG-21Bis is one of them. You feel the small odd things, it is like you would feel how the wind will bite to their wings and body, how the fuselage keeps small noises, the engine breaths etc.

Most of the other modules are really more about "flying on the rails" like there wouldn't be any air around or any parts loosen in the cockpit that keeps noise when forces are applied to aircraft etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I completely agree. The plane feels, in the other more modern modules the sensation is more "Arcade" although I think it can be improved with a more complex meteorological system. In Mig21 I think that the sound of the afterburner heard from the cockpit comes in very abruptly and does not seem realistic, but it may be so in reality.

It is indeed a great module and the aircracft makes you "feel" the Cold War with its beautiful analog cockpit and electric buzzing.

Fun fact: The lead developer, who coded the flight model, is actually a real life active duty MiG-21bis pilot. At least he was during the development of this module. Not sure if he still is today.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

He is in a MiG-29 now.

Oh, that's great to hear! Wouldn't mind getting a full fidelity MiG-29 module in DCS :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I agree with all the sentiments above. This is my favorite airplane to fly right now in DCS because of the fact that I can “feel” the airplane. I bought the F-5 recently, and while it is a good module, it feels antiseptic in comparison. I hesitate buying the F-18, F-16 thinking Ill be disappointed in how they’ll feel in the air.

There are the common gripes about the external sound, hovering wheels, etc, but I think the dev should be very proud of this module. It really doesn't show its age, and is worth every bit of effort to continue to maintain it and improve it. IMO, this module should be considered a flagship for DCS that is actually worth buying at full price.

... I hesitate buying the F-18, F-16 thinking Ill be disappointed in how they’ll feel in the air.

F16/F18 have a FCS and fly-by-wire. It must be different :joystick:

But fo me the differences really make it interesting and demanding, and i love to fly the MiG-21 and the Viggen after a longer F16/F18 session. :pilotfly:

Edited by -LEO-

Intel i5-11400 CPU @ 4.30GHz / ASUS Prime B560-Plus / 32GB DDR3 RAM 3000 Mhz Dual / MSI Nvidia GTX  1060 6GB /  SSD Samsung 120/250/500GB  / IIyama  27" 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz / Track IR 4+Track Clip Pro / Sennheiser PC 360 / Thrustmaster Warthog Throttel , VPC-Warbrd D+Warthog Stick, TFRP Rudder / WIN 10

Ever tried. Sometimes failed. No matter. Try again.Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett (?)

• 1 month later...

I flew one of the Cold War competitors (one of the deltas) and after flying the M2000C and F16 I decided to try my cold war opposition aircraft. Fascinating! And such a difference to what we had in the same period. So raw and basic and difficult to fly and land. And such a crude weapon system. I love the Ku-band radar with realistic weather effects!

I should revert to the more modern aircraft but I find my selves keeping on flying the Mig21. It's so challenging and rewarding. Great job and a must for every collection. This module shall not be sold at a reduced price, it's a gem.

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals