Only Cockpit Shadows Settings

Chapa

Hi, the ED Teams,

First of all, thanks all for your amazing work. I recently discovered DCS but I am really impressed and have already spent a tons of money for very good stuff and started to play VR. Waow !!!!

My wish would be to have more granular graphic settings in general but to keep my wish focussed, it would be more granularity about shadows :

At least, we should have:

1) Cockpit shadows: Off|Flat|Low|Medium|High

2) Vehicules/Planes shadows: Off|Flat|Low|Medium|High

3) Terrain shadows: Off|Flat|Low|Medium|High

Today, the 1) and 2) categories are merged and it is the issue, specially in VR. Cockpit shadows (when airborn) don't have a huge impact on FPS but as soon as there are other planes (on the ground), the FPS drops drasticly.

To play in VR at native frequency, without AWS, shadows are the big ennemi. It could be solved by the proposed granularity. A cockpit without shadows are not as immersive as it could be.

Vehicules and terrain shadows are more nice to have visual suggar and I am pretty sure that people prefer to set more essential settings like MSAA, Distance View, Pixel Density that are not so easy to handle well.

I hope it will be possible to have this feature implemented.

Thanks again for all the work and pleasure provided !!!

Best regards,

Chapa

P.S

I want to precise that I have found acceptable compromise to play with a Rift S at 80Hz, I have spent hours and hours to tune and understand the settings in DCS but also in NVidia Inspector.

For some reason, vehicules/planes shadows kills the FPS and I tend to think it could be avoided , with the result to have cockpit shadows with AWS Off, even on the ground.

• Like 2

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Right, there could be more finesse with graphics options, cockpit and environment/world/terrain split away and separately adjustable.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I strongly support this wish

Cockpit shadows are awesome in VR, but I can't enable it now because of all the stutters I get during taxi, take-off and landing

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 11 months later...

Bump for this.

Disabling shadows nearly doubles my FPS at least in VR, but seeing things in cockpit depending on time of day becomes next to impossible due to light reflections.

Cockpit only shadows would be a massive FPS booster for a lot of people; but should be an option either way, as they're really the only true shadows that really matter.

+1 it would be great to get a separate shadows option for the cockpit, as well as objects, trees and terrain.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, it seems to be necro day today

1 hour ago, Mustang said:

Anyways, mods are cool, until they break... (due to a DCS update or whatever)

The option for cockpit only shadows should be implemented into DCS core

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 4 months later...

Sign me up ! Cockpit shadows are a must-have for me , but the rest look very bad anyway in VR . LOD's , flickering , late drawing on airfields , etc make them a net negative , like the airfield fences , which we would be better off without in VR .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

10 minutes ago, applesinduck said:

I have no idea why ED is okay with having jaggy cockpit shadow even at highest default setting.

That's because they are not separated from external shadows and would probably cause big performance hit.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

While there are a million threads about how to best optimize DCS, constant work on ED's side to improve performance and the awful GPU market right now, it surprises me that ED didn't create a cockpit only shadow option by now.

It's super low hanging fruit and a very easy win for ED. I mean, if even I can do it by simply changing some values in the shadows.lua file (which breaks IC right now), surely ED should be able to easily add an extra option to the shadows pull down menu:

image.png

@BIGNEWY, @NineLine; Please consider suggesting this to the devs. I know we won't magically gain an extra 10fps with this, but every single fps helps 😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

System specs:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, sirrah said:

While there are a million threads about how to best optimize DCS, constant work on ED's side to improve performance and the awful GPU market right now, it surprises me that ED didn't create a cockpit only shadow option by now.

It's super low hanging fruit and a very easy win for ED. I mean, if even I can do it by simply changing some values in the shadows.lua file (which breaks IC right now), surely ED should be able to easily add an extra option to the shadows pull down menu:

image.png

@BIGNEWY, @NineLine; Please consider suggesting this to the devs. I know we won't magically gain an extra 10fps with this, but every single fps helps 😉 

Shameless bump, in a pathetic attempt to reach @BIGNEWY@NineLine, or anyone els from ED for that matter 😅

Cockpit shadows are so incredible, at least in VR I think they are, it's such a waste that most of us can't enjoy it because of its performance hit. A "cockpit shadow only" option as described above, would be a fantastic addition to DCS imo.

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

I would LOVE two separate settings for cockpit/planes and terrain/objets shadows:

Cockpit/Plane shadows:

- Off

- Low

- Medium

- High

- Ultra

Terrain/objects shadows:

- Off

- Flat

- Low

- Medium

- High

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier