NAVGRID Entry: Bug or PBKAC?

Home Fries

I have reviewed Jabbers' NAVGRID video many times and have manually entered the Bullseye position in NAVGRID, but somehow I always seem to be updating my present position, or the NAVGRID seems to default to a L/L of 0/0 regardless of my first entry, which makes all references 3000 miles off.

Here are my steps following initial position entry and alignment:

1. Select Ground Stab for the TID
  2. Select the Datalink drum on the CAP
  3. Select NAVGRID (left button 3)
  4. Press 1 for latitude, + for North, then the latitude to one decimal place
  5. 6 for longitude, + for east, then longitude to one decimal place

At this point, I usually see the NAVGRID pointing southeast with no way to change the arc width or orientation, only the number of sectors. The selected position shows the coordinates I just put in, but centering the aircraft on the TID and bugging an object gives a range of 3000nm. I'm not sure what I do to reset this (I think it's switching to A/C Stab then back to Ground Stab), but at that point the NAVGRID coordinates show 0/0 and the second time I can enter it properly. I've also found on occasion that entering NAVGRID will drastically change my present position to the point where TACAN fixes will not properly update the INS (though visual fixes still seem to work).

The one workaround I have found to reliably use is to select a dummy waypoint (like DP) prior to selecting NAVGRID. Then any position entry will apply to DP instead of the present position or an existing waypoint. I have also found after doing this that after entering NAVGRID coordinates, selecting DP (in this case) will show that it defaults to the coordinates I also put in for NAVGRID.

So the big question: what steps if any am I missing, or is this a bug?

Edited by Home Fries

After an evening of flying, I determined that my workaround of selecting a dummy waypoint to protect the present position was actually preventing me from entering the NAVGRID coordinates. Deselecting any active waypoint, then selecting NAVGRID should work.

I'm still not sure whether this is a bug, but there you have it.

I will take a look, but note that you do need to ensure you have no waypoints hooked. The TID readout source window (above TID) should show blank when entering navgrid coords, if it's showing a WPT or SYMBOL, then you have a waypoint or something hooked.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will take a look, but note that you do need to ensure you have no waypoints hooked. The TID readout source window (above TID) should show blank when entering navgrid coords, if it's showing a WPT or SYMBOL, then you have a waypoint or something hooked.

Thanks. I originally hooked a waypoint because otherwise NAVGRID was somehow messing with my present position. I don't know if that is because the first times I was entering NAVGRID I was doing so from AC Stab. I didn't really try to duplicate that particular instance. I think I have a repeatable process now.

• 2 weeks later...

I took another look, I don't think this is a bug. Just make sure the readout source window above TID shows blank, and not "OWN A C" or a waypoint. If it shows something other than blank, just use TID cursor half-action and release to clear the hook. With nothing hooked, and navgrid enabled, the lat/long entry applies to navgrid reference point, otherwise it applies to whatever is hooked (which is most likely still "OWN A C" after INS alignment procedure).

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]