Jester is a wuss

Harlikwin

So... Trying to do takoffs from the Hermes (ski jump carrier). Jester punches out every single time! Can I turn that off? Lets say I promise to make him cocoa after we land or something. :megalol:

Also, seems like the landing gear is getting damaged cuz I can't retract it after launch. I'm not "kneeling" the gear since its obviously not a cat shot. Anyone thing it would help?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Don't have the Hermes mod but I operated the F-14 from the Kuznetsov just for giggles. Didn't kneel the nose wheel, had no issues with retracting the landing gear, or Jester punching out. Should be similar to Hermes in that it's a ski-jump, but it is a much bigger ship. Were you sinking towards the sea after coming off the ramp? Also damn that power to weight... the Kuz take-offs are easier in the F-14 than the Su-33 if anything!

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Yeah, I've done it from the Kuz too, better carrier for it since you can land on it too. And no Jester didn't punch out on that and IIRC the gear worked too.

In this case he freaks out just as you hit the ski-ramp. And punches just as you are "launched".

I did manage to Frisbee the F14 into the drink once so I guess he has some room to be worried, but I promise I'll hold his hand whisper soothing noises in his ear if he doesn't punch out.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hm. Maybe he is trying to tell you something. :music_whistling:

Yes he clearly is. He is informing that he wants no part to my shenanigans, even though we mostly don't actually die. I just want the option to duct tape his arms down long enough that he can't eject during take off. "We'll be fine Jester" "its gonna be ok buddy" "Come on! Meg will think this is awesome!" :lol:

Or my personal favorite (must be read in a Sean Connery accent)

"Shtiff upper lip Lad"

Zmv20su.png

So what you're telling me is that there is no forcing him to stay in the plane?

Any thoughts on the landing gear? Kuz vs Hermes?

Edited by Harlikwin

He sure is.

Gets scared everytime the plane gets damaged and bails out, when he thinks I'm losing control of things. It's always akward flying back to base with an empty back seat and realizing that (ironically) he probably didn't survive.

Also back in the early days of EA, sometimes he would eject from the plane on the ground for no reason while you were doing the startup checklist.

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

He sure is.

Gets scared everytime the plane gets damaged and bails out, when he thinks I'm losing control of things. It's always akward flying back to base with an empty back seat and realizing that (ironically) he probably didn't survive.

Also back in the early days of EA, sometimes he would eject from the plane on the ground for no reason while you were doing the startup checklist.

I think what Jester needs is "nutsack" slider in the options menu. HB can be PC and call it "bravery" or something.

He seems pretty brave to me. Got caught up in a chase and ran out of fuel. It never seemed to bother him that we were getting low on fuel or that the engines died. The fact that I crossed the nearby runway threshold way too fast and landed about 3 quarters down the runway and ran off the runway never made him flinch either. DCS physics then thought running off meant the plane explodes.

While testing out ( figuring out how to make them work ) the arrester cables I had a collision mesh for one of the cables....... drove over one at around 1 mph and bang..... he pulled the handle...

the ramp is to sleep for the F-14.. I might test them on the QE..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Well, there is a way: in crew contract, set him to inactive. He probably ejects because he doesnt recognize these ships as runways, etc... Coxy had the same when landing on the Kuznetsov. Now, changing the code to accommodate these rare shenanigans, I think is not really necessary. It's really nothing it is meant for, and since you dont need an active Jester during that really, I think setting him to inactive should suffice.

As for his wussyness, when you get damaged or make some magic move down low with 10 slammers sticking through your wings: we of course opted to model him towards what a real RIO would do. You are doing sim-stuff, not humanly reasonable flying. Whenever you fly home alone, consider that in fact you should have punched out. We already made him less skiddish, and personally I have a confident Jester who sits through the most daring split S. The only time he punches out for me is when I do hyper realistic take offs from the landing position on the Stennis, hahaha... But you catch my drift guys: try to fly so that he does not punch out, that's actually a nice challenge - at least for me it is.

On another note: we're currently tweaking the damage model, we find it is a bit too tanky still. This means that in future, him punching out will be more than just a recommendation. You'll better follow suit, or you'll die.

We'll discuss a special option to turn Jester ections off completely, unless initiated by the player, in order to give you more freedom to do the crazy sim stuff..

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Lately on multiplayer, he's been ejecting while I'm trying to startup the Tomcat on the Stennis' deck because the plane is sliding all over.

Meanwhile I'm trying to rearm and refuel and the ground crew is telling me "Hey, what are you doing?!" every 5 seconds.

But what does that matter.....Jester is 100 yards back doing the butterfly stroke.

We'll discuss a special option to turn Jester ections off completely, unless initiated by the player, in order to give you more freedom to do the crazy sim stuff..

Hi Mike,

Setting him to inactive doesn't work for me, he still punches out, he just doesn't say anything beforehand. I entirely posted this in jest, and its probably pretty reasonable for jester to punch out when doing "stupid sim stuff" (S^3).... But having this option in special options could be useful for just such occasions. Thanks for being more than reasonable. :thumbup:

Lately on multiplayer, he's been ejecting while I'm trying to startup the Tomcat on the Stennis' deck because the plane is sliding all over.

Meanwhile I'm trying to rearm and refuel and the ground crew is telling me "Hey, what are you doing?!" every 5 seconds.

But what does that matter.....Jester is 100 yards back doing the butterfly stroke.

Yeah, Carrier Curling is an ED issue though that they really should fix.

• 2 weeks later...

As for his wussyness, when you get damaged or make some magic move down low with 10 slammers sticking through your wings: we of course opted to model him towards what a real RIO would do. You are doing sim-stuff, not humanly reasonable flying. Whenever you fly home alone, consider that in fact you should have punched out.

I guess that means no more getting in scraps with heavily armed attack helicopters. Although it is very satisfying when you manage to shoot the tail rotor off them with your gun.:)

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

mines seems much braver recently, hes only ever punched out a few times (apart from when were obviously about to die lol) and every time it was low level maneuvers even though i was never in any danger of hitting the ground, not even close.

yet other times my bums been squeeking and ive JUST missed the ground and hes still in the back not a care in the world lol

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr