Feedback on VOIP

NineLine

Feedback on VOIP  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Feedback on VOIP

• Yes, working fine here.
    • No, I couldn't get it to work right.

Have not been able to get it to work on our server yet. Still trying.

I see my name in the window and the other fellas seen their name only. So, does that mean the server is not running it? I have it turned on and the port opened.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Have not been able to get it to work on our server yet. Still trying.

I see my name in the window and the other fellas seen their name only. So, does that mean the server is not running it? I have it turned on and the port opened.

I've got exactly the same. Can see myself, but no one joins.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Doesn't work. I only see myself in the chat room, same problem for my friends.

Also it seems that voice chat has a huge impact on FPS when it's enabled on the server. (however i'm not 100% sure about that.)

AV-8B | MiG-21 | F/A-18C | F-16C | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf

It works very well. Sound quality as about par with using Discord. Hosting on a private coop server the host (me) had to open TCP/UDP port as per ED instructions. It took a while figuring that out as there are no log messages hosting or connecting in DCS World.

Constructive 1: Please add some sort of log messages, so the clients and Host know what is going on.

Online we found very few servers using the new VOIP and even fewer players. Of maybe five 16 player+ servers we have so far only found one other player using it. At first it took a while to even realize that the VOIP join was done by left ctrl+shift+tab and not at the select role screen.

Constructive 2: Please make VOIP both Client and Host - default ON.

Constructive 3: Make it more clear how to join VOIP. Maybe Chuck_Owl can write a small guide or have a small disclamer at the top of his module guides.

Once we got going it worked fine. One thing we noticed was that the voice activation was not always a good thing. Picking up a lot unwanted sounds - dogs, answering the cellphone, talking to a friend, TV etc.

Constructive 4: Please make so that the Host can set option "force Push to Talk" on the coalition rooms. The casual room between rooms is fine using voice activation I think. But for serious servers that needs clear comms and concentration, make it an option to force PTT.

System as a whole works fine. To get more people craving to use it:

Constructive 5:

We found two more suggestions. One is an optional generic "click" sound using PTT so that players knows what is going on. Not hearing a radio "click" feedback makes it a little more unclear. Did I just transmit anything, did I properly push the PTT button?

Constructive 6:

Radio filter / voice sound. Not a simulation but an optional filter to get that radio sound going. I know we are getting the real thing down the line, but this would add a lot to the immersion and I think more players would likely be using VOIP over SRS if it adds that fighter pilot radio flavour. At least it sounds right ;)

I think that was all for now. Hope that this native VOIP soon takes off and become a DCS World standard on all servers.

• Like 5

We have had the Voice chat box checked since it came out and our servers appeared in the server list. Since updating SRS to version 1.7.1.1 last night, if we have the VOIP check box on our servers are not appearing in the server list. If we uncheck the box the servers appear.

Not sure if its related to SRS but nothing else has changed.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

It works very well. Sound quality as about par with using Discord. Hosting on a private coop server the host (me) had to open TCP/UDP port as per ED instructions. It took a while figuring that out as there are no log messages hosting or connecting in DCS World.

Constructive 1: Please add some sort of log messages, so the clients and Host know what is going on.

Online we found very few servers using the new VOIP and even fewer players. Of maybe five 16 player+ servers we have so far only found one other player using it. At first it took a while to even realize that the VOIP join was done by left ctrl+shift+tab and not at the select role screen.

Constructive 3: Make it more clear how to join VOIP. Maybe Chuck_Owl can write a small guide or have a small disclamer at the top of his module guides.

Once we got going it worked fine. One thing we noticed was that the voice activation was not always a good thing. Picking up a lot unwanted sounds - dogs, answering the cellphone, talking to a friend, TV etc.

Constructive 4: Please make so that the Host can set option "force Push to Talk" on the coalition rooms. The casual room between rooms is fine using voice activation I think. But for serious servers that needs clear comms and concentration, make it an option to force PTT.

System as a whole works fine. To get more people craving to use it:

Constructive 5:

We found two more suggestions. One is an optional generic "click" sound using PTT so that players knows what is going on. Not hearing a radio "click" feedback makes it a little more unclear. Did I just transmit anything, did I properly push the PTT button?

Constructive 6:

Radio filter / voice sound. Not a simulation but an optional filter to get that radio sound going. I know we are getting the real thing down the line, but this would add a lot to the immersion and I think more players would likely be using VOIP over SRS if it adds that fighter pilot radio flavour. At least it sounds right ;)

I think that was all for now. Hope that this native VOIP soon takes off and become a DCS World standard on all servers.

+1

• Like 1

I personally haven't had the chance to use it yet so can't comment on the current implementation.

I am 100% behind this functionality becoming a 'native' feature of DCS and will make all the difference in MP down the road...

Yet on the subject of feedback, I, like others, will be quietly waiting until the level of functionality either meets or exceeds that of SRS. I have no doubt that can achieved by ED, it's just a question of how long, Ciribob's had quite a head-start! (or you could try poach him in for the project)

I will say, that if the feature doesn't see a lot of use in these early days/iterations, I truly hope the ED team doesn't see that as a sign of disinterest or low value, and then send it to the bottom of the pile. I'm certain that once the feature set gets fleshed out, and most importantly, becomes integrated into the cockpit radios it'll see a hell of a lot more use.

And in case you play MP and haven't experienced integrated frequency specific voice comms via SRS, being used actively on a busy server with players working together (to varying degrees) - you're missing out, it's an absolute game changer in terms of gameplay and immersion! Go check it out!

Having this ability natively available and accessible to all by default would have a significant positive effect for the MP side of DCS. IMHO.

And I can guarantee that MP sells modules - I have personally bought several to fill specific roles and scenarios in multiplayer, that I otherwise would not have.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

I had one session with it and the sound quality was very good.

The feature has a lot of potential and I would encourage it. While SRS is good, I found that it did take a bit of work to setup. I think this is why on many open servers there is only limited use of it. Having something native would enhance the use of voice communications greatly and help with immersion.

Keep up the good work. DCS just gets better and better.

+1 everything you said, but this one in particular. If VOIP isn't on by default, it'll never end up being used. If people don't want to hear it they can opt out, but if you have it off by default then you'll have players that never know it exists. And then you end up in a vicious cycle, where because people aren't on comms, other people don't join comms (or they join and find no one talking / responding so never use it again). It needs to be on by default for this to have a chance of succeeding.

I had one session with it and the sound quality was very good.

The feature has a lot of potential and I would encourage it. While SRS is good, I found that it did take a bit of work to setup. I think this is why on many open servers there is only limited use of it. Having something native would encourage the use of voice communications greatly and help with immersion.

Keep up the good work. DCS just gets better and better.

Edited by donkeyrider

The usability of inbuilt VOIP will begin when dcs network protocol pass the VOIP port to the client,

and not autoexec.cfg determine the VOIP port in client side.

Our community run several 24/7 DCS servers each with different VOIP port, and now client can be configured by start to one fix port. Very negative starting.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

• ED Team
The usability of inbuilt VOIP will begin when dcs network protocol pass the VOIP port to the client,

and not autoexec.cfg determine the VOIP port in client side.

Our community run several 24/7 DCS servers each with different VOIP port, and now client can be configured by start to one fix port. Very negative starting.

Indeed, it was a serious oversight.

It is already implemented in the internal version and after the tests will come out in openbeta.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

I could not find a way to join either the Common or Coalition voice chat rooms while playing DCS in VR. I confirmed I was in a voice chat enabled server, and brought up the voice chat window by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Tab. I could see the window in the upper left with "Push to Talk", plus the Common and Coalition chat rooms, but in VR there does not appear to be a way to interact with that window. I suspect I needed to click on either the Common or Coalition rooms to enter it, but the visible cursor does not interact with that window, only the clickable cockpit.

Is there some other way to enable interaction with that window? Or is there a hotkey to enter one room or the other?

Was playing with a friend who was not running VR, he was able to enter a room. Everything seemed to be set up correctly but that was a show stopper for me.

• 3 weeks later...
I could not find a way to join either the Common or Coalition voice chat rooms while playing DCS in VR. I confirmed I was in a voice chat enabled server, and brought up the voice chat window by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Tab. I could see the window in the upper left with "Push to Talk", plus the Common and Coalition chat rooms, but in VR there does not appear to be a way to interact with that window. I suspect I needed to click on either the Common or Coalition rooms to enter it, but the visible cursor does not interact with that window, only the clickable cockpit.

Is there some other way to enable interaction with that window? Or is there a hotkey to enter one room or the other?

Was playing with a friend who was not running VR, he was able to enter a room. Everything seemed to be set up correctly but that was a show stopper for me.

Salut Boudreaux,

This is most likely a bug. The VR mouse cursor (i.e. small while circle) is not visible after displaying the voice chat window alone, using LCtrl-LShift-Tab.

As a work-around, open the interactive text chat using LCtrl-Tab. Then the VR mouse cursor will show.

Edited by Jack McCoy
  • Like 1

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Used it online several times now. Although we were struggling to find the settings for everyone on the server to work, once it was running I liked it very much. Just nice to be able to bind your push to talk button directly in DCS and get rid of third party voice software running in the background while simming.

Some Radio and squelch effects while using the PTT function would be nice as a next step.

Our flightgroup relied on this post for the setup and it worked nice for us :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256077

I would prefer to use embedded VOIP. But so far I was not able to find anyone connected...

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

My son and I have used it several times with me hosting. Sound quality is good. We usually lose connection in voice chat and still remain connected in multiplayer. Its back to Steam for chat then to finish the session. It seems to disconnect after an aircraft change most of the time. FWIW

Asus G11CD I7-6700 3.4GHz, DDR4 32GB, GTX1660TI,1TB SSD, 55 inch Vizio 4K TV, Logitech X56 controllers, Logitech Rudder Pedals, TrackHat, DSD Series – FL2 Switch controller, Monect PC Remote, and AInstruments on Android tablets

I can't wait to try this out. I'm going to hook up my surround sound to my computer and blast the outside world through it and cockpit/chat in my headphones. Brilliant, Great Job Eagle Dynamics. Thank you for continuing to evolve and improve our beloved DCS. Time to piss off the wife and give it a go.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Seemed overly complicated to set up and I could not get it to work. Very disappointing. I set up a server for my son and I to fly together. I was running the server on my machine and enabled Voice Chat. I helped him configure his voice chat too. We could not get it to work though. He could hear me but I could not hear him. I ran iRacing for many years and their voice chat system was very simple and always just worked. You guys should look at what they did. IRacing had voice chat from very early on in their product lifecycle. This should be a part of DCS. Seems logical considering that all of these airplanes have radios... we should be able to use the radios in-sim to communicate securely with each other on discrete channels in multiplayer situations just like we would be able to in real life.

Edited by melchionda

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals