[CHK] Low FPS using A2G RADAR

Schmidtfire

The issue:

Flying at a solid 60fps (vsync) but everytime I go into AG Master Mode and the radar is scanning the ground the FPS drops to low 30's. It's stuttering a lot :cry:

When I disable AG radar the FPS jump back up to solid 60fps.

How to reproduce:

Airstart at Anapa. Enter AG Master Mode. AG radar starts on middle MFD screen. Heavy FPS drop and stutter.

Additional info:

I don't know if this is related, but useing C-701 the AG radar screen starts flicker/strobing white.

Specs. i7 3.4Ghz, 32GB ram, SSD, 1080TI 11GB. Screen resolution: 3440x1440

No other issues with DCS or its modules in terms of performance.

Edited by uboats

If i drop my my res of cockpit displays down to 512 instead of 1024 every frame it helps.Give it a try and tell me if it fix's for ya.

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

• 1 month later...

Just experienced this as well for the first time. When it happened the greater the radar range display setting the greater the performance impact. But I definitely have used it without getting noticeable performance impact before. Not sure if it has to do with location in the map or has to do with aircraft state or something else. Currently only experienced it in Caucasus map but haven't tested in other maps yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft I have thoroughly studied: A-10C, Ka-50, Mig-21bis, UH-1H, Boeing 737-800/900, Dash-8Q400, Bell-407

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-8750H@2.2GHz 6 Cores turbo up to 4.1GHz, GTX1070 Max-Q@8GB GRAM, 16G RAM, 512G SSD, 500G SSD, CH Product Fighter Stick, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5.

I get stuttering on the ground and in the air now.

I had it before but not as bad, but now it happens after I land since the Jan. 20th update.

This is regardless of load-out.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 2 months later...

I will post in this thread instead of opening a new one. I don't have performance issues in 2D, it doesn't matter if i use AG Radar or TGP or both.

BUT, if i fly in VR(99 times out of 100) i noticed a stuttering every couple seconds, very annoying while moving my head. I noticed that in the JF-17 i get jumping fps between 30-40, average ~35/36fps (VR normal would be 40fps). If i start the same mission(time/location/view direction) in a different module(F-16, F-18 ) i don't get that stuttering and my fps are at 40 with some little jumps to 38 or 36 but without seeing any stuttering.

I first thought this is related to the 3 MFD's but i discouvered they have zero influence to that. It is the CANOPY i realized today. If i start cold and my canopy is open everything is fine, fps at 40 like in the other modules and no stuttering, but as soon as i close the canopy the fps drop and the stuttering begins. I already deleted the fxo/metashader2 folders and did a repair(repair because of the 2 CTD i had over the last week). Any idea why the canopy is cousing trouble in the JF-17? If i takeoff and climb over ~4k-6k feet no problems again(stable 40fps) and it feels like in every other module, but down and on the ground i get stuttering/jumping fps again. I fly without mirrors.

My settings:

attachment.php?attachmentid=230014&d=1584424834

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

If you have the latest or newer Nvidia drivers, try a roll back to 442.74 , this has solved mine and others issues with low fps in f18 SA page. Some stuff may not be on Dcs end.

Interesting, with the 442.74 driver the stuttering is nearly gone in the JF-17, not completely. But the fps drop with closing the canopy is still there for me. But thanks for that advise :thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Interesting, with the 442.74 driver the stuttering is nearly gone in the JF-17, not completely. But the fps drop with closing the canopy is still there for me. But thanks for that advise :thumbup:

I get that as well, but the stuttering is much less annoying now, at least.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I rolled back the driver, but I was still having this issue.

However I think I found the culprit to be Datalink.

When D/L is active, as soon as AG targets and Ships start appearing on my radar and HSD, my game stutters really bad and FPS drops to <1 after a few seconds. (not joking). If I disable D/L, the stutters are gone and FPS is normal when my radar finds ground targets.

Disabling GND on HSD does nothing, I have to turn off D/L entirely ofherwise if my radar finds ships or ground vehicles the game slows down to a halt.

PS: AG targets detected by the radar will also momentarily show up on the AA radar screen if you switch to AA mode. You can lock them up in AA mode and attack with SD-10, which is pretty funny.

Edited by J20Stronk

See if the problem persists when putting the A/G radar / WMD Pod on the side MFDs.

I have the same issue when it's on the native center MFD, but weirdly enough it's completely fine on either side MFDs.

Edit: The problem occurred again, no matter the MFDs. Thus far only reproduced in Multiplayer. When using the A/G radar my GPU usage drops to about 5%, with frames tanking respectively, which is a very odd phenomenon. Switching away from it immediately restores frames, with GPU usage jumping back to normal.

Edit2: Staying in A/G mode with radar active (but not shown on an MFD) still impacts frames. Switching to NAV spawns weird "artifacts" on the radar screen and returns fps to normal. Example shown: https://imgur.com/a/400EeN9

These artifacts disappear very quickly, but maybe it helps in finding the underlying problem.

Edited by Sangusan
More information added.

I have a weird FPS problem too. I get stable 60fps everywhere and in all aircraft, but in the JF17, if I cold start I have 60 fps, but as soon as I turn on the battery and gens, it drops down to 30, even without any mfd opens.

+1

Exactly the same issue I am seing.

In MP in PGAW just now as soon as i turned ground radar on the game froze instantly. And its not the first time.

There is something there for sure guys please look at it this is module breaking.

Not sure if you can release some short of a fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In MP in PGAW just now as soon as i turned ground radar on the game froze instantly. And its not the first time.

There is something there for sure guys please look at it this is module breaking.

Not sure if you can release some short of a fix?

It's Datalink, coupled with the fact that MAP mode now detects ground targets much easier, it overwhelms the HSD with contacts.

If you turn off DL before using AG radar, you should be fine.

It's Datalink, coupled with the fact that MAP mode now detects ground targets much easier, it overwhelms the HSD with contacts.

If you turn off DL before using AG radar, you should be fine.

Will try; if you turn on d/l afterwards do you still get the issue?

Will try; if you turn on d/l afterwards do you still get the issue?

Yep :(

You gotta keep it off for as long as you are in AG mode with the Radar on. The problem is (I believe) the new static target detection is overwhelming the D/L and HSD with a ton of contacts if there are a lot of vehicles in a mission.

Hopefully Deka will fix this as they work on D/L and AG radar improvements, but for now:

If you are going to use AG radar, turn off D/L.

If you are not going to use AG radar, but are going to use AG mode, Silence radar or put it in STBY before entering AG mode.

Yep :(

You gotta keep it off for as long as you are in AG mode with the Radar on. The problem is (I believe) the new static target detection is overwhelming the D/L and HSD with a ton of contacts if there are a lot of vehicles in a mission.

Hopefully Deka will fix this as they work on D/L and AG radar improvements, but for now:

If you are going to use AG radar, turn off D/L.

If you are not going to use AG radar, but are going to use AG mode, Silence radar or put it in STBY before entering AG mode.

Thanks i will try.

Generally speaking i think there is a general issue right now with jeff and fps.

I played in MP today using the 14 and harrier . Both vr intensive modules and i was getting 40fps (rift s) with 20+ players in.

I even added flat shadows and bumped other settings up. Only at cold start i suffered to 20fps (pgaw).

I hope its fixed soon