Pimax 5k plus? Yes, no?

zero2005

Interested in purchasing a VR headset, Been following the Pimax stuff (specifically the 5k 120hz). I haven't used VR in a couple years (around time the CV1/Vive was released). Just wondering if anyone recommends getting the Pimax 5k now, or waiting? Just ordered new Mobo/CPU/Ram, upgrading from 4690k and 16gb ram to AMD 3700X and 32gb 3600mhz soon as it arrives. Already sitting on a 1080ti, no plans on upgrading that right now. How well will the 5k run on this? I'm the type of guy who prefers to run lower graphics to obtain higher frames, so if I have to run a lower setting to obtain acceptable results, but maintain a higher res/FOV I'll gladly accept that.

For me, the SDE when I used the CV1 was too much, was not a fan. Also the FOV was very restrictive. When I played around before, both the Vive and CV1 were cool but not enough for me to really consider dropping money on. I'll literally be using this 99% for DCS, everything else is secondary. I wear glasses (nearsighted, 20/400 or -4.0, both eyes) and my IPD is ~62mm, though I occasionally wear contacts.

My other question regards the base station, I was considering just getting a used one off ebay, for DCS and 6DOF do I only need one (again, just for DCS)? I don't need nor want the controllers (yet, maybe down the road).

I've read some people complaining about have to "wake up" or reconnect the 5k? Can anyone expand on that? If it's a simple fix I'm willing to live with it if the display gives me what I'm looking for.

Also, I use decent headphones (Fostex T50RP mk3) through a desktop DAC/AMP. how well does the Pimax fit with aftermarket over ear headphones?

System: Intel 14700k on MSi z690 DDR4 pro, Arctic Liquid Frozer II 360mm AIO, 64gb ddr4-3600mhz CL16, Gigabyte 4090
Winwing Orion2 F-15EX/F-16EX combo, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, TM Warthog (Shelved)
2x 256gb Vertex 4 SSD's, 2x 1tb Sabrent NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD's, 1x 4.0tb Silicon Power NVMe, 1x 4tb Seagate HDD
VR: Quest 3 (Current), HP Reverb G1 (Shelved)

I have a PIMAX 5K+ use it every day for flight simming in DCS and find the clarity very good without any noticeable SDE and the 200 degrees FOV makes looking around enjoyable and dogfighting much easier. Had the Oculus CV1 but never liked the scuba mask effect of limited FOV.

Pimax is the only VR headset to have a large FOV.

I have had 3 VR head sets ….. Rift CV1,, Samsung Odyssey standard and the Pimax5k+ . I think the Pimax is the most immersive and the clarity is the best. The Rift S is cheaper in price and I have tried one out but Pimax is better in my opinion. I use the Pimax at max field of view and it makes a difference in emersion . Screen door is not even an issue. Some people says that it has some distortion at the edges of the ultra wide settings but who the heck looks at the edges in real life. You turn your head to look at what you want to look at unless you have neck problems. Pay the extra money and you will have a headset that will not become obsolete foe a good while. I Didn't use the head strap that came with the unit but purchased a Deluxe Vive auto strap for $65 on Ebay and 3d printed the lugs that snap the Vive onto the head set