Forceware 67.02 BETA drivers stop shimmering effect

Re: Forceware 67.02 BETA drivers stop shimmering effect

These Beta drivers were released yesterday, and have a new feature called LOD clamp. This solves the shimmering problem some people have. I've already installed them and it works for me.

I've tried these drivers yesterday, nothing changed (6800GT), looks like, Nvidia tries to make us install new drivers every day. New beta 70.40 released today. http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/nvidia/nvidia%2070.40%20beta%202k-xp.exe

Re: Forceware 67.02 BETA drivers stop shimmering effect

I've tried these drivers yesterday, nothing changed (6800GT), looks like, Nvidia tries to make us install new drivers every day. New beta 70.40 released today. http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/nvidia/nvidia%2070.40%20beta%202k-xp.exe

Did you have shimmering? And did you set LOD clamp to "clamp"?

Not to be dumb and all, but shimmering in what sense? Shimmering landscape, as when AF isn't working? Or shimmering something else?

I have a 5900XT using most recent official NVidia drivers, and have no awareness of shimmering. Just wondering, in case I've missed something...

Not to be dumb and all, but shimmering in what sense? Shimmering landscape, as when AF isn't working? Or shimmering something else?

I have a 5900XT using most recent official NVidia drivers, and have no awareness of shimmering. Just wondering, in case I've missed something...

It's nothing u have to turn on, u see it in all the cities from a distance or shore lines. It looks like heat waves and u can't capture a picture of it. It only happens when moving. I've also seen the effect on the A-10 guages.

I've tried the new driver and clamp works for me, but dosen't end it all.

XP Home Edition SP2

AMD 64 3400+ Skt 754

Asus K8V SE Deluxe (800 FSB)

Corsair 1.5 Gig PC3200

Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

PNY GF 6800GT 256MB (67.02 FW)

Res (1280x1024 32Bit) (120 Hertz)

Thanks for the explanation, Hogarth.

Sounds exactly the same as shimmering problems with some older games (eg European Air War) which have traditionally been solved (or worked-around) by engaging Anisotropic Filtering, or raising its level.

I know AF has performance hits in LOMAC, but if the new drivers don't work for you, you could try raising AF to 4X or 8X in your driver settings and see if that helps.

I have no shimmering on 4X. But seem to remember the familiar 'heat haze' effect when I accidentally turned AF down to 2X before flying in LOMAC once.

AF didn't fix the problem for me with the 6800. I tried 16x AF it it made no difference. The 67.02 drivers did fix it though, and i don't understand why all 6800 cards wouldn't have shimmering.

I had an X800XT PE on order before I found the 67.02 drivers, and put it in my system. It performs much better than the 6800GT, and has no shimmering. Kind of an expensive way to get rid of shimmering.

Buzz

AF didn't fix the problem for me with the 6800. I tried 16x AF it it made no difference. The 67.02 drivers did fix it though, and i don't understand why all 6800 cards wouldn't have shimmering.

I had an X800XT PE on order before I found the 67.02 drivers, and put it in my system. It performs much better than the 6800GT, and has no shimmering. Kind of an expensive way to get rid of shimmering.

They do have it.

Shimmering is not effected by anything other then videocard/videocard drivers.

Most people just don't understand what it is.

It isn't the same as the AF reduced stuff that is mentioned above.

AF DOES NOT get rid of shimmering in LOMAC for Nvidia 6800 cards, you are correct BuzzU. What you and I are talking about is different then what Catseyes is talking about. He has it as well (if he has the same type of videocard) but probably doesn't notice it (many don't). The shimmering in LOMAC with Nvidia 6800 cards can only be dealt with by messing with the LOD/Mipmap (IIRC) levels. Same as FS2004 and late model ATI cards. Bumping up the AF levels does nothing. I, personally, happen to notice all the crap like like that. lol

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Yeah, I do believe it is a 6XXX and late model ATI card issue.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348