What is the difference between the 'new' F-16C grip and the A-10C Warthog one?

imacken

Merreck...........you're missing the point. You wouldn't be flying the Viper with a Hog stick. Every Hog pilot is flying the Hog with a Viper stick. So, if you fly the Viper with a Hog stick you're still flying the Viper with a Viper stick.

With that said. It's your money and can spend it any way you want. Have fun.

btw I'm also a lie long fan of the Viper and the reason i've flown the Viper in F4 to BMS for 22 years. How come you haven't been?

Buzz

Hi Snake, interesting, I haven't heard about that one. But it seems even more expensive than the Viper add-on from TM. Maybe in a few years when and if the TM's solution gets obsolete or worn out. Good to know it works also with the TM magnetic base. Right now I am thinking of getting some quality replica of the F-16's throttle. Definitely this year.

Joystick RED: Virpil CM2 + WarBRD-D base
Joystick BLUE: TM F-16 + HOTAS magnetic base
Throttle: Virpil CM3
Rudder:  Virpil ACE flight pedals
Panels:   Virpil control panels #1, #2

BuzzU - agreed. But I believe that real Hog pilots don't have a huge "Warthog" sign on their sticks...

I haven't flown the Viper in F4 because of my inferior hardware as a kid and it is only now that my career allows me to work only few days a week so that I have the proper time to look into all the procedures, tactics, etc. even with some quality family life.

I really liked the Digital Integration's F-16: Fighting Falcon. About 40 or so training missions at Nellis AFB on every type of munitions, I loved that. Especially loft bombing.

And the F-16: Aggressor is a bit of a misunderstood undervalued product. Well, compared to DCS they all seem extremely arcade-like of course. But the Aggressor had very interesting types of weapons - 5 variants of the AIM-9, 4 variants of the AIM-7, Mavericks, Harpoons, Penguins... It even boasted a fuel/air bomb! Now that was a proper beast. Tried that once, never used cluster bombs afterwards. The almost non-existent storyline was interesting in a sense that you were a mercenary pilot getting paid in dollars. Something like the "Kadre" squad in TopGun: Fire at Will.

Joystick RED: Virpil CM2 + WarBRD-D base
Joystick BLUE: TM F-16 + HOTAS magnetic base
Throttle: Virpil CM3
Rudder:  Virpil ACE flight pedals
Panels:   Virpil control panels #1, #2

Ok, so I can see why (even if I don't necessarily agree) why Thrustmaster would try selling a rebranded Warthog handle as a Viper stick, what I don't get is why they don't update the TQS to USB and sell that - would have thought there was a much bigger market for that ?

Unless it's a case of "how are we going to shift x hundred Warthog sticks sitting in stock that nobody's buying"....

Ok, so I can see why (even if I don't necessarily agree) why Thrustmaster would try selling a rebranded Warthog handle as a Viper stick, what I don't get is why they don't update the TQS to USB and sell that - would have thought there was a much bigger market for that ?

Unless it's a case of "how are we going to shift x hundred Warthog sticks sitting in stock that nobody's buying"....

It would be nice if TM could offer us a complete Viper HOTAS. They have the stick already and a modified Cougar throttle would complete it.

Buzz

• 2 weeks later...

There is one difference between the Hog and Viper sticks that it looks like Thrustmaster have omitted. The Viper stick is actually angled forward because it’s a side stick while the Hog stick is more vertical as it’s a traditional floor mounted centre stick.

RealSimulator actually sell an adapter for their pressure sensitive base for the Warthog stick to tilt it forward.

Here is the stick shown with and without the adapter.

Adapter_product-e1583254167682.jpg

• 6 months later...

A lot of good information and discussion here! Based on the picture above I can see that Viper stick is angled forward. Is that because of the base? My question is, side by side are they the same stick or does the Viper come standard with a more pronounced angle that is enhanced by the base? Thank you in advance!

It looks like I will be buying a Viper stick. I read that some users feel the Viper trigger is not as good as they Warthog trigger. While others say it is a minimal difference. From what I can tell, they are both two stage triggers. My TM Cougar has a two stage trigger and if the Viper is similar to it, I will be just fine. Viper's are $229.00 new and the Warthog sticks are $240-280, are out of stock, and hard to find. So it makes sense to me to spend less to get a brand new stick that has also not been on the market for ten years. I am not holding my breath, but maybe they improved some of the innards. Thank you all for the information. Take care!