Dreamflyer motion simulator

Last week I chanced upon this motion simulator demo in YouTube. They have several videos at their website, www.mydreamflyer.com. They won some award for it.

47b7cf37b3127cceb058c91aed3300000025100ScNmLhy4Ym47b7cf37b3127cceb058c91b6c0200000025100ScNmLhy4Ym

I've been keen on having a motion simulator for years, and have been researching for something affordable. But the ones in the market are all very expensive, from $100K + for the high end ones, like $40k for mid range ones. The two more 'affordable' solutions are from Rock N Ride, and Force Dynamics. Both are still many thousands of $, although a recent google for rock n ride shows 999 Euros. Strange and big drop in price. Then SimCraft claims to be building one cheaper. I shared about this last year in this forum. I followed its progress patiently for 1.5 years. Finally around June this year they the product was ready but I was disappointed to see that it costs $9K to $14K, depending on your configuration.

The cheapest way is to build one yourself, from Joyrider. I bought its plan years ago, but never build one as it seems a bit challenging for me, including taking apart the HOTAS and extending and rewiring it.

So this simulator is based on the Joyrider plan, but improved on it. They have three versions: 1. Basic (chasis and Saitek HOTAS), 2. Elite (plus Saitek rudder pedals), 3. Pro (plus tri-monitor bracket).

I spoke to them today and clarified a few things if I were to burn some savings to get one. The Elite version, which costs $400 more, is not just adding the rudder. They'd add the floor to hold the rudder, mount the rudder for you, and do some rewiring of the rudder. I don't know why the rewiring of the rudder is necessary. I said the rudder only costs around $120, which the high markup and this is their justification.

As for the tri-monitor bracket, they received feedback from early customers, so now they've made it adjustable for different height and angles for each monitor's mount, to cater to the different heights of the players. The monitors can be mounted apart with gaps in between as in the picture or closed up side by side for a seamless view.

Two interesting expansions they are doing R&D on are making it modular, to make it possible to

1. mount a yoke in replacement of the stick, for flying civilian aircrafts in MSFS. sweet!

2. mount a heli collective on the left. This is good news for us waiting for Black Shark (which I tried at the E for All Expo last month in LA, thanks Matt!) to come out next year. I am not sure if it will replace or be attached to the X52 throttle.

While $2000+ is not dirt cheap, it is still the most affordable in the market so far, for those of us like me who can't figure out how to build one. It doesn't have hydraulics to justify the price, but it also mean less parts to maintain/upgrade. It'd be awesome having some simple motion (compared to no motion at all), to play Lock On and Black Shark, with three monitors and TrackIR and bass shakers. This will be a nice ($$$) Christmas gift for myself, if my wife doesn't kill me.

More info here about the simulator from this site that I found: http://www.flightcontrolsimulator.com/site/1646834/page/45029

Just thought of sharing about this product. I have nothing to do with the company nor gain from it.

Forgot to mention, the chasis uses dumb bell weights to counter the player's weight. Since all of us have different weight, some kind of adjustment is required by the weights at the back near the seat. The package ships without the weights. I was told that we can get it cheap for a few bucks at Walmart.

And the distance to the monitor is fixed, since the seat is fixed. But you can adjust the rudder plate for your legs' comfort.

I think there is no electric power to move the cockpit so after some time you can do even body building. :D

http://www.acesim.com/chbc_flightsim-s.wmv

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

PRODUCTSPECS

Pitch: +/- 15 degrees

Roll: +/- 15 degrees

Load: 250 lbs

Width: 3"

Length: 5"

Height: 3" (at seat base)

Weight: 120 lbs

Total Footprint: 3’ x 5’

Material used: Powder coated aluminum pipes

Pipe Size: 2 inches diameter and 0.14” thickness

Seat: Sports car seat with a comfortable cushion