Quest & Link Is Good Enough

Johnny Dioxin

I've read posts, many posts around various forums on the net - including this one - saying that Quest + Link is just not up to it for flight sims and especially DCS World.

Yesterday I went testing - many hours in different sims and was very encouraged by what I found.

I didn't change any settings from what I use normally, with my Index, and for that I only adjusted SteamVR settings.

All sims performed well, with the exception of the oldest civvy one, which was weird (but uses an app to work in VR in any case) - all the others performed flawlessly - as far as smooth gameplay goes. No jitters, stutters, crashes, artefacts or anything else to spoil the show.

Framerates for DCS World remained a solid 36fps - and it looked smooth as ya like! I flew combat missions with the Ka-50, Su-25 and A-10A over Caucasus - which normally gives me performance issues with a PC-VR headset and apart from the SDE, I found the scenery looked better in the Quest and was relieved to find I didn't have to adjust the contrast, though the gamma did look just a touch high, it was consistent, and not changing with each mission and theatre.

I could read the vast majority of the gauges without zooming (I was wearing my VR Lens Labs prescription VR lenses from the CV1, which fit well into the Quest, even though they are not same shape as the Quest lenses)

The missions I flew were all A/G plus going after a couple of helicopters and I had no problem with spotting the targets on the ground and in the air - but whether this would be the case in dogfights, I don't yet know. But I will find out soon and report what I experience :)

I had no mods installed at all and labels off (I had removed everything for the last update and tested the Quest before reinstalling any mods).

I placed it in my reckoning somewhere between Rift CV1 and Index. Better than CV1 - no doubt in my mind at all - but not as clear as Index - the SDE puts paid to that comparison. It also seemed to have a reduced FoV - for me it looked slightly worse than CV1 in that respect - more like what I experienced in Rift-S with my actual 68 and preferred 70mm IPD.

But if Quest is all you have, you should absolutely give it a go - you also shouldn't be dissuaded - imho of course - from buying Quest as your only VR headset if you want the independence for other apps, but want to have a go at VR in DCS World. I'm sure you won't be disappointed - and when the pukka Link fibre-optical cable comes out, it should be even better - plus it has been mentioned that Oculus is looking at upgrading the Link to run at USB 3.1 performance.

My rig is in my sig. I won't be returning my Index (I have an open invitation to get a refund atm) but my CV1, which I kept attached to my rig alongside the Index, has now been put into reserve storage.

I'll try and get some video recorded from the Quest - if nothing else is feasible, I'll do some through-the-lens recording with a video camera.

**Edit: I just remembered that I did find it best to leave everything alone for a minute or two after each mission loaded - to let it finish loading up properly and 'settle down'.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

That was my same experience as well with using Quest + Link in my two combat flight sims.

I was surprised by how well it actually did. I still prefer my Rift S over the Quest , but Quest is certainly better than Rift CV1.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Some personal preference of course.

But I would expect the quest to be a smidge better than the cv1, and a small step behind the dedicated S, if comparing to the other desktop offering.

I, and pretty much everyone, would consider the quest to have the broader appeal and market cause not everyone is nuts enough to spend $1000 on just a GPU as the rest of us here.

I would also be very surprised if the next hmd Oculus make isnt another standalone, just with a direct display connection.

The rift-s hmd side connection feed both USB and display data through the same port as is.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Wow thanks for that guys. I use cv1 still for mobile rig sounds like quest is the new answer for that

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Bear in mind, though, that some people have had to juggle around USB 3.0 ports to get it to work properly. Some found that in a certain port they got video but no audio - switched to another port and it was all OK.

I use a USB based headset with Quest and Link, so it wouldn't matter to me if there was no audio in the socket I use (there is, though, but so far only for those apps and games installed via Oculus Home).

Of course, you can always return the Quest if you find it won't work with your PC or laptop - but if you are unsure, I'd advise waiting for the official fibre-optic link, even if it will cost $70-80 (think it was $79 but not 100% sure)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

So do you get the PC interface with the quest or do you have to buy it seperately?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

So do you get the PC interface with the quest or do you have to buy it seperately?

Once hooked up through Link you get the same interface as Rift/RiftS.

Without Link Quest has it's own interface.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Once hooked up through Link you get the same interface as Rift/RiftS.

Without Link Quest has it's own interface.

I meant is the link included or is it bought separately?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I meant is the link included or is it bought separately?

You have to buy the cable itself.

Oculus is going to be releasing their own cable soon.

Right now folks are trying USB c - USB 3 cables, which is what I did and it works fine.

Don B

Framerates for DCS World remained a solid 36fps

Thanks for the report on it working for you, though I'm pretty sure you might be the only one who would consider 36 fps solid or even playable. I haven't been able to get the Quest to work on my machine with the link but was hoping that 72 fps would be far more achievable than 80 or 90 fps.

Sadly none of the USB ports on my laptop seem to support the Quest, for whatever reason. One doesn't even allow the Quest to be detected, one connects but then instantly disconnects when I put the headset on and the other is a USB 2.0. I also have a Type C port but the only cables I have for that don't support data + charging.

The cable I tried on the USB 3 ports is one that's verified to work on the Oculus forums.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

What’s about handtracking which is out now? Is there the possibility to use this in dcs?

Yeap, i'm looking forward to this feature is DCS as well. I've been happy with the functionality of Oculus link so far with DCS. I'm still susceptible to VR motion sickness though, guess have to train more to get my body to adapt. I use a custom 5 meters USB3.1 cable from a local supplier here in Malaysia. it works instantly after being plugged in to my desktop's USB3.1 slot.

Yeap, i'm looking forward to this feature is DCS as well. I've been happy with the functionality of Oculus link so far with DCS. I'm still susceptible to VR motion sickness though, guess have to train more to get my body to adapt. I use a custom 5 meters USB3.1 cable from a local supplier here in Malaysia. it works instantly after being plugged in to my desktop's USB3.1 slot.

Quest even connected through Link is still running at it's lower refresh rate of 72 Hz, so it would be a little more susceptible to motion sickness.

I noticed it when comparing Quest with Link to my Rift S.

Don B

Quest even connected through Link is still running at it's lower refresh rate of 72 Hz, so it would be a little more susceptible to motion sickness.

I noticed it when comparing Quest with Link to my Rift S.

Quest can be upgraded to 90hz via Oculus Link if i can recall correctly, it's just that the feature has not been enabled, maybe in the near future. I was divided between the Rift S and Quest initially but went with Quest for the mechanical IPD adjustment and Oculus Link

Well I meant that it runs very smooth at an indicated 36fps (which of course is half the 72Hz that Quest runs at) which would be using ASW to bump it artificially to 72.

As mentioned - no stutters, no artefacts, in fact it was as good as my Rift CV1 at 45fps.

I was very surprised I couldn't run it at 72, but as it was acceptable as is, I'm not really bothered - and as I've had many issues with VR in 2.5, perhaps it's all I should expect.

I hadn't thought of it before, but I also have 1.5.8 installed on my PC and I will see what sort of performance I get with that (but not for a few days - very busy atm). I got good performance in that with CV1 and I'll give my Index a go, as well.

As for handtracking - the beta is out, but it also depends what version you are running. Many people are not very happy just now, as the rollout of the required V12 update seems to be taking some time. I'd love to have hand tracking in the sim, but I think it would need to be implemented by ED first - and if only the Quest will use it, who knows if it's worth their while?

I'm running link via a 10ft USB3 cable. I tried a high quality USB2, but it did the same as someone here reported - it showed up as connected in Home, but wasn't reliable in Quest and basically wasn't any good. I'm using a JOTO cable - so far, I've not seen anyone saying it hasn't worked for them, but it is rather a case of 'suck it and see' until Oculus release their optical cable. It works in some of my USB 3 sockets and not in others.

I'm happy to try and answer any further questions about Link and DCS World, so if you want to know any more, just shout - if I can ;)

PS - Oculus have also said they are not finished with optimising the Link performance.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Yep only Quest has the hand tracking, got to try it out myself earlier today and it is kind of cool but obviously very early on in the technology.

I know Oculus is releasing the SDK for the hand tracking to developers next week.

Don B

I know people were running the Quest with ALVR previously. In my experience with the Go, the Oculus software still runs as well as the tray tool, but I was not able to get ASW to work that way. Not sure what the case was with the Quest. Its good to know it works with the link though. I am very impressed with ASW (using with Rift S now).

Having found out how to record through Quest, I was planning to record a session in DCS World this afternoon - however, it seems the recent hand tracking update has messed up my ability to use Link - so it's a no-go for now.

I'll do it as soon as I can get Link working again - which probably means after the next update.

For me, so far hand tracking is very rudimentary and unreliable - and the latency is quite high.

Edit - this explains it:

In order to use Oculus Link, your PC software and Quest software must have matching version numbers. During this rollout, you may receive the v12 update on your Quest before you receive the PC v12 update, or vice versa. If you receive the PC v12 update before the Quest v12 update, you will need to wait until you receive the Quest v12 update before Oculus Link will work again. However, if you receive the Quest update first and are anxious to use Oculus Link again, you are welcome to opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly. Please note that when v13 PTC rolls out, you will need to opt back out of the PTC and to stay on v12 and retain compatibility. The team is working hard to improve this experience so that this will not be an issue during future rollouts. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding!

My app is trying to update on the PC, but something isn't working right and it's not updating - so until that's sorted it's no link today, thank you.... Quite a cock-up if you ask me, for something they are obviously keen to promote.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Having found out how to record through Quest, I was planning to record a session in DCS World this afternoon - however, it seems the recent hand tracking update has messed up my ability to use Link - so it's a no-go for now.

I'll do it as soon as I can get Link working again - which probably means after the next update.

For me, so far hand tracking is very rudimentary and unreliable - and the latency is quite high.

Edit - this explains it:

My app is trying to update on the PC, but something isn't working right and it's not updating - so until that's sorted it's no link today, thank you.... Quite a cock-up if you ask me, for something they are obviously keen to promote.

You can toggle on for the PTC and it should update to version 12 right away.

Don B

Yeah, it sez that in the post I just quoted above :)

I long since did that - but I was having an issue actually updating Home - every time I went to click on the update link, the durn thing disappeared!

Finally managed to catch it unawares, though - but it still messed me about a bit. Got it finally working, I couldn't get the video recording to work, so not much use anyway.

I just found out about upping the SS for Quest as well, so that's my next test for DCS World. - Oh, and want to try it in 1.5.8 as well, to see what the performance difference is (I still fly in 1.5.8 now and then - huge backlog of missions and campaigns).

Kneeboard Guides

just found this on the youtube. looks promising.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I had another flight in the Ka-50 and Caucasus yesterday - still think it's a good option for those with only Quest or considering it.

Looks like I will only be able to do a through the lens recording, and they are never very satisfactory, but I'm not trying to prove anything with it - just want to show what it's like. If people think it's not up to what they want, well that's their choice, of course.

If I didn't have a powerful enough PC for dedicated PC-VR I'd certainly be happy with Quest and Link. It is a shame that the in-built recorder doesn't seem to want to record when Link is connected, though - wonder if that's a design choice or just something with my current set-up.

Kneeboard Guides

With version 12 of the Oculus software for Rift and Quest, you can now adjust resolution for Quest using Link to connect to PC.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/83561/oculus-link-resolution-with-v12#latest

Don B