Quest & Link Is Good Enough

Johnny Dioxin

I had another flight in the Ka-50 and Caucasus yesterday - still think it's a good option for those with only Quest or considering it.

Looks like I will only be able to do a through the lens recording, and they are never very satisfactory, but I'm not trying to prove anything with it - just want to show what it's like. If people think it's not up to what they want, well that's their choice, of course.

If I didn't have a powerful enough PC for dedicated PC-VR I'd certainly be happy with Quest and Link. It is a shame that the in-built recorder doesn't seem to want to record when Link is connected, though - wonder if that's a design choice or just something with my current set-up.

Quest doesn't have same software as Rift S? Or similar? I record/stream with OBS. I set with Oculus Tray tool Mirror right eye to be 1.25 FOV then Record/stream with OBS the Oculus Mirror window. Is that impossible with Quest?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Quest doesn't have same software as Rift S? Or similar? I record/stream with OBS. I set with Oculus Tray tool Mirror right eye to be 1.25 FOV then Record/stream with OBS the Oculus Mirror window. Is that impossible with Quest?

I do not know.

Yes Quest uses a little different software, but they are on same version numbers now at least.

I use Oculus Tray Tool for setting things like SS in some other games, and audio switching etc - it appears to be working in that regard for me with Quest connected through the Link to PC.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I looked at OBS - looked at it a few times over the years but it didn't tickle my fancy. In the case of recording Quest I saw that (if I understood it correctly) only one eye is recorded.I'm a bit reluctant to do that. I did when CV1 came out and people watching on YT did like the vids, but it always felt kind of a half job.

Good news on V12 there - I think Link is going to be the mutts nuts by the time they are finished adding everything and tweaking it.

It'll be nice to be able to fly without cooking my face and building my cheek muscles :) Only have the lesser FoV to put up with, and while the Index FoV is one of its best points, the positives probably outweigh the negs (no pun intended).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Same feeling here to OBS.

But after having the Rift S (a gift from a friend) I couldn't record anymore with the simple "nVidia Share" from Nv geforce experience. Reluctantly I had to look into OBS again and to my surprise it was much easier to setup than before and also it uses very good hardware compression so although I fly IL-2 GB mostly at 25-30fps (yeah I am hardcore :D ) I don't lose any FPS while streaming. Sometimes the stream is choppy but not my experience which stays the same no matter what.

About recording just one eye. This is as far as I understood the only good solution. Rendering for a central "third eye" view would be resource hog. SO best is to record just one eye which is rendered very high quality anyway and just expand its FOV in oculus mirror program. As I said, I put mine on 1.25 (25% more) and it looks quite OK.

The only things are:

You have to choose your dominant eye so you will spend the most time seeing straight with that in "Mirror" program... eg when looking through a crosshair/gunsight viewers of the stream will have the chance to actually look through the thing and not from one side as a normal one eye.

The views will be a bit curved.

I have used a tutorial like this one to set up my OBS

(ignore the horrendous game the guy plays :D )

I stream to Twitch so I don't waste space on my PC and then cut bits from videos there... occasionally I get a friend watching the stream which is a bonus. But you can simply record locally. For recording same dude has a tutorial.

He assumes the viewer knows hot to setup the "scenes" which should be somehow simple to understand and setup.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Thanks for the info - I will give it another look.

I used to record in 3D SBS mode from Rift CV1. Performance was barely affected and the program I used was the only one that recorded directly from the Rift output - so the viewers saw exactly what I saw in the headset - just zoomed out a bit more.

I used to test for the dev and he got fed up with all the Oculus updates cos nearly every one broke his program (sound familiar?) and in the end he gave up, about 18 months ago. I fully understand, but it's a real shame.

Under these conditions, with constantly moving goalposts, I can't see anyone else attempting something similar in the near future - maybe just the actual headset producers. You would think they would be keen to have such a thing for promotional purposes.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I made a short, through-the-lens recording with Quest. It's obviously not focussing that well when changing the view, but the intent is more to demonstrate how smoothly it is running.

Video

This is a simple flight over Normandy (during the landings - the flotilla is directly below my aircraft, so there is plenty of action going on, with shoreline bombardments under way). So far, I've not had any peformance dips during A/G test sorties.

I'm currently testing A/A combat, with specific attention to spotting the enemy, especially compared to the Index, and I'm making some comparisons which I'll post about later.

Kneeboard Guides

Official Oculus Link cable is now available:

https://www.oculus.com/quest/accessories/

I got one ordered, hopefully a little more reliable than the one I have.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Interesting thread.

For those of you with both a Quest and a Rift S, would you care to share your thoughts on how they compare?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Interesting thread.

For those of you with both a Quest and a Rift S, would you care to share your thoughts on how they compare?

My opinion:

Rift S is more comfortable, and I prefer the higher 80 Hz refresh rate versus 72 Hz of the Quest.

I prefer Rift S for my combat flight sims and some other games.

Quest is nice being mobile, and I enjoy some of the less complex games one can play with it, or just watching vids.

Quest with Link offers more of an experience as one can use it like a Rift with their PC games. I prefer Quest over Rift S for games that have a good amount of dark in them, like Vader Immortal.

Quest with Link though also works pretty darn good with flight sims, albeit with slightly worse performance. But a good overall headset one could use both as a mobile headset and a PC-VR headset.

Don B

Similar question for those with a CV1 vs Quest.

Been pondering the Rift S, but I do love some beatsaber, and the mobility of the quest sounds amazing. But would really want DCS to be at least as good as on the CV1 before jumping.

It would be better than CV1 regarding image clarity. Little less performance than Rift S, but not bad at all. Oculus Link is still in early stages and can be a little finnicky at times, hopefully the just released Oculus Link cable will help stabilize that some.

Don B

It would be better than CV1 regarding image clarity. Little less performance than Rift S, but not bad at all. Oculus Link is still in early stages and can be a little finnicky at times, hopefully the just released Oculus Link cable will help stabilize that some.

I may have to pick up a quest in the near(ish) future. Kinda out of stock everywhere right now. And I have no cash. LOL

I agree with that. I also just received my VR Covers interface and padding for the Quest and all I can say is WOW!! :shocking:

What a difference. This thing is the mutt's nuts for my fisog. it completely changes the feel of the headset and makes it so much more comfortable and supported much better than the default padding.

I did also order the rear padding for the strap, but when I fitted that, it actually made things worse. I've done some quick videos, which I'll upload once I've cleaned them up a bit - shot in my VR room with my DSLR and they are a bit dark. I also ordered VR Covers interface for Index and that isn't as good - but for Quest it's well worth getting.

Official Oculus Link cable is now available:

https://www.oculus.com/quest/accessories/

I got one ordered, hopefully a little more reliable than the one I have.

:thumbup:

PS - out of stock already! :( - not out of stock - seems the UK isn't a priority market.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

I agree with that. I also just received my VR Covers interface and padding for the Quest and all I can say is WOW!! :shocking:

What a difference. This thing is the mutt's nuts for my fisog. it completely changes the feel of the headset and makes it so much more comfortable and supported much better than the default padding.

I did also order the rear padding for the strap, but when I fitted that, it actually made things worse. I've done some quick videos, which I'll upload once I've cleaned them up a bit - shot in my VR room with my DSLR and they are a bit dark. I also ordered VR Covers interface for Index and that isn't as good - but for Quest it's well worth getting.

:thumbup:

PS - out of stock already! :( - not out of stock - seems the UK isn't a priority market.

Thanks for the feedback on the VR Covers, will have to give a try as I would like my Quest a little more comfortable also.

Don B

Seems the rest of us will have link available next year. 2nd class customers. Now I know how the Canadians and Aussies felt when Index was denied them for months.

Kneeboard Guides

People I know inside oculus/fb said both the quest, and now link cable are blowing pass all their estimates and are struggling to keep up manufacturing. I think that's why they pushed the recommended amazon.com cables to people in public as the knew their link cable wasn't going to ramp up production fast enough for the holidays.

*deleted*

Duplicate.

Don B

My current USB 3 cable will do a good enough job for now. Actually, this is probably a good thing as it means I will get to hear how much better the optical cable is and whether it's worth getting it rather than just continuing to use a standard cable.

It probably will be better, but I don't have many complaints as is, so we'll see how things develop.

Kneeboard Guides

OK - made a short and unplanned video on the Quest VR Cover -

**sorry - I've deleted my YouTube channel for the fourth time this year, with Google repeatedly trying to force things on me that I don't want - such as having to use my real name. I wouldn't have an issue with that if the same applied to everyone, but why should I have to if no-one else does?

I don't plan on starting a new YT channel.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Got an email from Oculus that my Link Cable order has been delayed by about 5 business days.

Don B

I'm currently flying the Su-25 "Revanche" campaign - done the first missions in the Index (which is great) - they are non-combat missions, though. I'll fly the rest of the campaign in the Quest with Link - that should be a good enough test for it, with mostly A/G and having to avoid quite a bit of AAA plus a little A/A action against other Su-25s and helicopters. It also includes a night time SEAD mission in the -25T.

That would be a good all-round test of the performance and target spotting.

Kneeboard Guides

My Oculus Link cable is in transit and due to be delivered here on Monday.

Anxious to give it a go and see how it does , hoping it will be more solid and reliable than the cable I have been using.

Don B

Flew a range mission with the S25L. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with launching these guided rockets, which isn't good for campaign points, but was good from a testing point of view.

The orange smoke marker for the target was easily visible from well outside the range of the ordnance carried, though red smoke was slightly less easy to spot under identical conditions.

Targets were barely visible at the 7km distance of the pre-launch waypoint, though the surrounding scenery and FARPS were easily visible and recognisable, which allowed me to get the Shkval TV onto the targets without much trouble at all after the smoke had burned out, on second approaches.

I thought the smoke from burning targets (a BTR80 in this case) would be sufficient to mark the target for me, but at a height of 4,000m msl it was difficult to spot - but not impossible. I actually found that it's appearance was highly dependant on the angle of view. Some angles it stood out easily, others barely at all.

An important issue with Quest was the lighting. After running this mission in the Index and needing no adjustment, I found that in Quest it was far too light (at 2.2 gamma) and I reduced it first to 1.8 - which was far too dark to see things well enough through the top half of the HUD in the Su-25T, so I upped it to 2.0 - which was a reasonable compromise - but it was just that, a compromise.

On RTB, I found the runway very difficult to spot through the top part of the HUD from the IAF (this was Gudauta and runway 33). It was better in the lower part of the HUD, but I really needed to be a few km closer to have a clear view of the runway.

I put this down mostly to the SDE.

I took some screenies, but as they are from the monitor, they are not really an accurate representation - but they do demonstrate the circumstances.

I just checked the screenshots and I actually think it was easier to see stuff in the headset than on the monitor! Probably due to the screens being in front of my face...

So - target marked with orange smoke...

orangesmokenormal.png

You could see this quite well in the Quest with no zoom... here it is, zoomed in:

orangesmokezoomed.png

Unfortunately, on the screens I took of the target burning smoke - you can't even see a thing on the monitor image - not even when zoomed in!

targetsmokenormal.png

targetsmokezoomed.png

**EDIT: Yes, you can - circled...

targetsmokezoomed1.png

This was the point at which the runway was clear...

runwayclear.png

So it's not all plain sailing - but still say it's very much doable in Quest. Will be interesting when I get to the proper combat missions.

Targets were visible at reasonable distances (by that I mean in time to set up and engage them) but AFV were not identifyable - things like hangars were.

Flying without any mods.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

**sorry - I've deleted my YouTube channel for the fourth time this year, with Google repeatedly trying to force things on me that I don't want - such as having to use my real name. I wouldn't have an issue with that if the same applied to everyone, but why should I have to if no-one else does?

I don't plan on starting a new YT channel.

Off-Topic

You can make a YouTube channel that is other than your Google Account. This way you can have a pseudonym on the channel instead your own name.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah, I used to have one until the start of this year. Now every time I try to make one - even a brand name channel - Google keeps putting my real name on it. When I tried to resurrect my old brand channel Google made the channel as a standard one, but wouldn't let me do anything with it other than viewing functions.

So I followed their simple instructions for deleting the channel with my real name and making the other channel my brand name channel, and found they deleted it and gave me a channel, again, with my real name.

At that point I lost interest.

PS - ah, you mean use a separate account? Yeah, I could do that. I use Waterfox for my normal browser and administering my Google account, but I also have Firefox portable on my PC - if I use that for a new YT channel, there won't be any chance of cookie interference, either - good idea.

On topic - I flew the thrid mission today with Quest and the S25L performed just as it should and there were zero issues with graphics, visibility etc - just a dodgy ATC again. Seems the longer you wait before requesting start-up permission, the more chance there is of getting a response.

Update YT: Yeah - the alternate YouTube channel didn't work - must be some ID or data files somewhere on my PC other than cached - it keeps telling me to log in with my current Google account, even though I never used that browser for Google.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides