Quest & Link Is Good Enough

Johnny Dioxin

I don't know what the percentages are, but the Oculus forum is getting a number of posts by people who have received their Oculus Link cables and are very disappointed.

The majority (of posters) are saying the standard USB 3 cables were better.

Of course, it's early days and some of the posts are a bit extreme, to say the least (as in attitudes), so probably best to wait until more people report in before opting out - or in.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

My Oculus Link cable arrived this afternoon.

Hope to have a go with it tomorrow to check it out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well, as I suspected, some of those people complaining are turning out to be user errors (and the others probably aren't admitting it! :music_whistling: )

Things like using USB 3.0 instead of 3.1 - apparently 3.0 just won't do it reliably. I just received a new powered USB PCIe card I intended to use for Link - now I'll have to go back and check the spec. Mind you, I also had to replace my Inateck card as 3 of the 4 USB sockets have stopped working - seems many people have this issue.

Not good, as it was the recommended USB3 card for CV1.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Plugged in my new Oculus Link cable this morning. Luckily I have a C-Port on front of my computer case, makes plugging in and unplugging quite convenient.

Enabled Link, and Oculus Home came right up no muss no fuss. Had a go with Asgard's Wrath for about 30 minutes, working beautifully. Solid as can be, and my performance with my graphics settings on Epic like I have for Rift S was very good, smooth as can be.

Have disconnected and reconnected a couple of times, solid. Definitely much better than the previous cable I was using. Very pleased with it so far. Will try and have a go with DCS later on today or tomorrow and see how it does as compared to my Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That's great - thanks for the opinion. Will be interested to hear what DCS is like.

As for me - today I did a test in the first combat mission of the Revanche campaign and I have to say, not only did I thoroughly enjoy it, but I suffered no negatives at all - in fact graphically, it was no worse than the two previous times I flew it on a monitor, and a lot better for being in VR.

If the SDE doesn't bother you, it should be fine (and it doesn't bother me).

So, some example screens. Firstly, all these weapons were employed in the mission effectively in the Quest:

1-payload.png

That's four S8 rocket pods, two S24 heavy rockets and two KMGU cluster bomb pods.

Watching the Su-27s do circuits at the airfield - I don't know how far away they actually were, but they were easily recognisable...

2-flanker.png

3-flanker2.png

Flying over the airfield at 1500m, I would easily have been able to spot any target on it for an attack sortie...

4-airfield.png

I was quite comfortable enroute to the target area at 4,000m msl - could see what I needed to on the deck in enough detail...

5-sceneryat4000m.png

Once the action started, the IR trails of the Strela where easy to spot as soon as they left the launcher...

6-ir-traces.png

7-irtraces2.png

On an attack run on a convoy I was able to start at just under 4000m...

8-4000mtargets.png

all the way to 1,500m and get the heavy rockets close enough to do damage and indeed, lay the rockets along the length of the convoy, too

10-s24attack.png

I was also able to spot and identify my wingmen as they flew their own attack runs and also evaded incoming AA - no doubt on the aircraft ID here, which impressed me:

9-su25spotting.png

This is with no mods running at all.

Very satisfied with the performance, too - apart from one or two split second pauses on my way to the runway, it didn't miss a beat. I'll post my settings later.

Kneeboard Guides

Settings:

Quest-Settings.png

QuestIPD.png

Yes, I could probably run them higher - but that's for another test. This is how I have it for my Index so I thought I'd leave it the same. Though I haven't optimised for Index, either yet.

PS - despite being set to use the inbuilt audio device as above, in fact I always have to switch it manually else it comes from my speakers. Audio is very reasonable, except for sometimes the "immersion" messages from the battle in Russian are too loud and bordering on distortion. Mission relevant messages and environmental sounds are fine.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Ok so I have now run the Cold Start Hornet mission from the Carrier, flown around for a bit over both sea and land, and returned landing on the carrier.

Color me impressed.

At what I think is default resolution - 2016 - my performance was quite good with some high gfx settings. Pretty much maintained 72 FPS the whole time. No stuttering at all, very smooth. Image looked very nice. Will try little higher resolution and see how it does.

With Quest we now have ability to adjust resolution - 2016, 2352, 2912, and 3648. I "think" 2016 would be the default resolution of Quest. Also have ability to set Distortion Curvature to Default, Low, or High. Will play around some with these later on.

Also testing a new beta version of Oculus Tray Tool which includes the above abilities for Quest.

Oculus Link Cable doing great, solid as can be.

Don B

That's good to hear.

I'm quite convinced that I'll have no issues with the rest of the Revanche campaign - and therefore in any normal A/G campaign - my next tests will therefore be with the full fidelity modules, starting with the Ka-50.

I'll fly the Courier mission - I flew it in CV1 with no issues a few years back, so now I'll try it in Quest. I think it's a good test because it involves night navigation, followed by trying to find a UAZ in half light conditions and then trying to find a ship in the Black Sea.

Finding both in CV1 was a challenge, but definitely possible - I got mission success twice (flew it again to record and upload to YT) - so it will be interesting to see how difficult it is with Quest.

Kneeboard Guides

USB active extension, anker usb hub, a shitty passive 3 foot extension and a 2 foot usb to type c cable. All my controllers, keyboard and mouse run through the same hub

Works great.

I might do a different setup with a usb 2.0 extension and a 2.0 hub, just cuz I'd rather use the hub elsewhere, but both the 2.0 & 3.0 cables into a cable sleeve.

Edited by TomVR

I'll tell ya what, guys, night ops in the Ka-50 are considerably more challenging now, in 2.5 and with Quest. It's very dark!

Quest puts a bit of a grainy effect on night time. That's without stuff lit up - just sat in the cockpit in the dark, at the airfield, with various lights on buildings etc - it looks pretty daunting.

With the NVG on, it looks amazing. It makes flying a lot easier, of course, but because of the grainy effect, it actually makes it a lot more realistic than on the monitor, where this effect is missing.

The Shkval TV and ABRIS are a bit of a problem - being like beacons of light, but whereas the IT-23 can be reduced and ajusted in brightness and contrast to where it is usable, the ABRIS can't (afaia).

As for reading instruments and ABRIS at night (with cockpit/gauge lighting) - the gauges are not too bad at all, but I did have issues reading letters on the ABRIS. Digits were fairly easily distinguishable, though.

So I had to keep switching the NVG on and off, to make sure I stayed within the bounds of the operation via the ABRIS map, whilst keeping an eye out of the canopy on the situation.

Unfortunately, I had some engine issue on my first attempt at this mission, whilst searching for the UAZ (see picture below and understand why it's difficult to find) - the engines seemed to pack up whilst hovering in 50+ km/h winds - that was what my ASI was showing at a walking pace!

This just makes me more keen to get back in there and do the mission, and any other night missions I can find - the extra challenge is extra fun!

Here's that UAZ we are required to find (broken down on the road) - you can just make out the reflection on the windscreen, off-right of the picture centre:

uaz.png

Couple of other NVG shots - cockpit and local scenery:

nvg.png

nvgscene.png

**edit: just for comparison - I flew this mission in 1.5 successfully with no NVG in CV1 - that would just not be possible in 2.5 (unless the gamma was lightened to levels that could be considered cheating)

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

There are some instances where things are not ideal - but this could also be said of the other VR headsets. I'm thinking of virtual cockpits such as the Mirage and Gazelle. Dark cockpits and small text are no friends of VR - it's hard to read the text labels and zoom has to be used, but otherwise I see no reason why Quest and Link can't be used to fly in DCS World. Bearing in mind the tests have been completed with default resolution as well.

So afaic, the subject is dealt with - hope it's been of use to those who were unsure.

If anyone wants anything particular looked at, I'd be happy to test it - if I don't have the relevant module, I'm sure others would help out, too.

Kneeboard Guides

A quick question for those with a CV1 and Quest with link. I currently carry my CV1 on the road with me so I can "fly" while I am not actually flying.

I use a laptop with a 3.1 USB c and a 1070 it works fine with CV1 and I have run Rift S on it but the S is too big to carry.

1. Do you think the Quest is worth it for the graphics improvement over CV1.

2. Is the quest small enough to be approximately the same size as a CV1 to carry on the road.

Cheers

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

A quick question for those with a CV1 and Quest with link. I currently carry my CV1 on the road with me so I can "fly" while I am not actually flying.

I use a laptop with a 3.1 USB c and a 1070 it works fine with CV1 and I have run Rift S on it but the S is too big to carry.

1. Do you think the Quest is worth it for the graphics improvement over CV1.

2. Is the quest small enough to be approximately the same size as a CV1 to carry on the road.

Cheers

1: Yes. It actually has a little higher native resolution than the Rift S.

2: I would think so, it seems about the same in size to me.

Don B

I have been testing Quest and the Link option over the holidays. I already own a Rift S, so that was my comparison headset. Everything appears to run well, although I still feel the Rift has the edge in clarity. Probably just my subjective opinion.

One issue I noticed and wondered if others had similar findings. With Quest in DCS, my head position seems to “swim” around in the cockpit as I get close to the canopy. Almost as if the guardian feature is having some effect. The visual is that the cockpit appears to move away from you as you near the canopy on any side. Hopefully I am explaining that well enough. This does not happen in the Rift. I can move my head right up to the glass in the Rift and the cockpit stays in the same position. Anyone else seeing this in the Quest?

I have been testing Quest and the Link option over the holidays. I already own a Rift S, so that was my comparison headset. Everything appears to run well, although I still feel the Rift has the edge in clarity. Probably just my subjective opinion.

One issue I noticed and wondered if others had similar findings. With Quest in DCS, my head position seems to “swim” around in the cockpit as I get close to the canopy. Almost as if the guardian feature is having some effect. The visual is that the cockpit appears to move away from you as you near the canopy on any side. Hopefully I am explaining that well enough. This does not happen in the Rift. I can move my head right up to the glass in the Rift and the cockpit stays in the same position. Anyone else seeing this in the Quest?

I spent a day off and on running Quest with Link, several times in DCS and did not notice that behavior. Sounds like for some reason you were losing tracking.

Don B

1: Yes. It actually has a little higher native resolution than the Rift S.

2: I would think so, it seems about the same in size to me.

Thanks for that I will put one on order

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I spent a day off and on running Quest with Link, several times in DCS and did not notice that behavior. Sounds like for some reason you were losing tracking.

Got it! Will look at my room lighting and such. Appreciate the feedback.

I just watched the latest video by Cas & Chary - uploaded 2 hours ago. Link is now available in Eu and UK (at 89 both - Euro and £ - so UK paying most again...) but their recommendation is not to bother.

In their tests, they could find zero difference between the Oculus Link and the other standard USB 3 cables we have been using up to now.

This may change later, but until it does, I won't be spending that kind of money for no or little difference.

Apparently, a company is making a 16ft USB 3 cable for Quest, which the girls will test when it's released - so that will be my next point of interest.

Edited by Brixmis
embedding their vid not enabled

Kneeboard Guides

I can only say previously my Link connection was iffy, after getting the Oculus cable it is solid as can be each and every time.

For me, it was well worth it. Maybe I just had the wrong cable before who knows.

Don B

I did have some problems initially, which I expected as it was all new and beta etc, but once I got a working solution it was sound as a pound.

I keep reading of people having crashes and other issues, but I guess I've been lucky as mine hasn't missed a beat since I got it right.

The only issue I've had with Quest is that it has lost full tracking on a few occasions - but that is without Link attached. A little worrying, but I'll see how it goes before I start talking to support.

Edit: I suppose the good thing with the Oculus Link is that it gives people a certain sense of security - although people do seem to be having some connectivity problems, much as with the custom solutions. At least you cen expect some help if you have the official cable, rather than support being able to blame any issues on a 3rd party cable. It's also more flexible, so that's a bonus - mine has a woven sheath and is pretty stiff - but to me that just means it's less likely to be damaged! Probably will get an Oculus one at some point in the future - but only if the expected increase in performance is attained.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

So any CV1 / RiftS users using this...

really trying to make a decision. I have the CV1, and am mostly happy. My dad has the RiftS, and while yes, it is clearer, it's not such a huge improvement that I'm keen to spend 400$ on it.

But, if the Quest can net a *slight* visual improvement, while simultaneously granting me portability...that's mighty tempting. I'm just wondering how it fares compared to the CV1 in DCS overall, seems to me that USB 3.1 couldn't have quite enough bandwidth to do a good enough job...

Question on how you are running DCS under Quest/Link

Sorry if I am missing something obvious, but I have spent a couple of days without success getting DCS World to run on my Quest via Link. Everything does work, from the standpoint that I have managed to get Project Cars 2 to run in SteamVR in the SteamVR home after launching it from the Oculus Rift Home (ie Oculus Link), but Project Cars is the only thing I have managed to get to run. I have started DCS World without the VR active, and I now have it so that it auto-logs me in so those prompts are no longer interfering.

Whenever I launch DCS World, I get the splash screen in the SteamVR home showing that it is starting, but that is all I get. I guess my first question is when you are launching DCS, on the real desktop it shows 4 options - no vr, Oculus VR, SteamVR and SteamVR 2.5 - which of these is the one that you have managed to get working for Quest with Link? (I have tried all with no success).

I can't answer that, I'm afraid, as I don't get anything like that - I'm guessing you have the sim installed via Steam? I use ED's installer, and just start up the sim.

When I was using Rift CV1 DCS World started Oculus Home automatically and everything worked as it should (with VR selected in DCS World options). With Link, the Quest is seen as a Rift S by SteamVR and Oculus Home, so it shouldn't be any different.

If one of the others here uses the sim on Steam they may be able to help.

Are you launching SteamVR before DCS World? If so, I would say don't - just launch DCS World and let it choose which VR system it will use - it should be whichever one you have connected. When I launch using Index I do it the same way and get no problems. It used to launch both until I fixed it (to stop Home launching).

Kneeboard Guides

Mine is steam - thanks

Ok, that might explain part of the differences in why mine isnt working - I have also found some stuff out today that I am going to try (primary being that it appears that the oculus vr option means you shouldnt be running the steam vr side of things (I think) that I am going to have to try.