Just got a Rift S... Your quickstart tips...???

Cavemanhead

Spec: 4770K, 1080Ti, 16GB Ram, 860 EVO SSD

I've played around with a Samsung VR a few years back and have been waiting patiently to try out a simulation with a decent HMD. I think I'll be tickled but hoping for the best experience.

If you were to give me your top tips, what would they be?

Oh, and major question... I'm out of USB Ports so I'd have to use a powered hub. Is there any concern with that and do I even need the hand controllers for DCS? I was assuming "no".

The huge thread on the Rift S is a bit daunting to get through. So far it seems like top tips are:

1) Start with PD 1.5

2) Use ASW if needed... Is this just a option in the Oculus SW?

Other thoughts?

Edited by Cavemanhead
Adding System Specs

System Specs?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Are you overclocking that CPU some? Running it at 4 GHz + would help.

Anyway I would start with Pixel Density set to 1.2.

MSAA set to 2X.

AF in game set to 16x.

Shadows Flat Only, or even start off with no shadows.

Other settings around medium range.

Set DCS.exe in Nvidia Control Panel to " Prefer Maximum Performance". Leave other setttings in NVCP to " application controlled".

Start out from there and see how it does. With ASW on by default, you will see either 80 fps or 40 fps. 40 fps is when ASW kicks in. 80 fps is ideal, but you likely will be hitting 40 more than 80. As long as it is smooth with no stutters you should be fine.

No, you don't necessarily need the hand controllers for DCS. You can use them though if you wish for flipping switches and such. I think most folks do not.

Powered USB 3 Hub should be fine, just make sure it is USB 3. Best to plug into a USB 3 Port on your motherboard that does not have other devices into the same hub. Rift S can be finnicky on USB 3 ports.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Is there any concern with that and do I even need the hand controllers for DCS? I was assuming "no".

If you want a greater immersion, you will use the Oculus Touch Controllers, unless you are using something else in place of that in the VR environment. And no, the mouse, trackpad etc doesn't count at all.

The Touch Controllers are huge benefit as you learn faster every aircraft, you learn each individual design differences and reasons, as you quickly learn that you can't middle of action just take your hands off from your HOTAS to perform some actions, be it like operating landing gear or fuel or weapon jettison etc when damaged seriously and you are fighting to get your aircraft landed.

This, by only binding the real aircraft HOTAS functions to your own HOTAS set, meaning if the throttle doesn't have something, then you don't bind it there. If stick doesn't have something, then you don't bind it to your joystick (unless FC3).

Everything that is in the cockpit, you need to operate by taking your hand off from the HOTAS and then moving your hand to that part of the cockpit to manipulate them. And that means as well that you need to know how to fly by holding joystick with your left hand, while your right is used to operate right side of the cockpit.

It creates huge immersion boost when you don't have mouse/touchpad or bindings in your HOTAS or use keyboard, but you really need to move your hands around.

In the future when we get the hand tracking or very thin tracked gloves etc, then it will make everything even better as you can have gloves like pilots does.

This as well makes very easy to setup every module, because you only go to HOTAS or STICK/THROTTLE bindings and bind those, then just axis and you are good to go. Everything else you do in cockpit, and you learn very fast to do all cold starts, shutdowns, emergency procedures etc as your hands generate the muscle memory totally different manner than any mouse etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

dburne and fri13,

THANKS SO MUCH! This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for...

I will try those settings to start...

Regarding the controllers, I think I'll wait until the gloves come out... It seems like handling a HOTAS and switching out to the controllers during flight would be near impossible... I fly a lot of WW2 anyways so mostly HOTAS...

dburne and fri13,

THANKS SO MUCH! This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for...

I will try those settings to start...

Regarding the controllers, I think I'll wait until the gloves come out... It seems like handling a HOTAS and switching out to the controllers during flight would be near impossible... I fly a lot of WW2 anyways so mostly HOTAS...

You are most welcome, enjoy!!

Don B