2.5 Startup bug, stuck at 61% on opening screen

Mohawkology

Thought I'd get back into DCS after a long hiatus.

So I ran DCS 1.5 and it ran the update tool, so I clicked to update DCS to 2.5. Great.

But now when I start the sim it goes through to the loading scree and then just sticks there at 61%. I've googled, I've uninstalled the old version, I've tried keeping the old version as a separate install, I've removed mods, I've tried running 1.5 but that sticks at 57%.

This is probably a a really common bug I dunno but I'm getting hella frustrated with this. My specs will run the game before someone proffers that as a solution - plus under spec should not prevent the game from loading completely.

Before I go ahead an bin the game right off my PC for a clean install what can I do?

Any help muchly appreciated. Just wanna fly my Huey!!!

Welcome to the forums !

Specs are always helpful when asking for assistance .

Absent that info...

Check your free disk space , and if possible , increase your pagefile size .

2.5 is a completely different animal than 1.5 and requires a lot more resources .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I had a somewhat similar issue after the last update—in my case, I got to 20%. The solution for me was to rename the MissionEditor folder in DCS Saved Games and let the sim create a new one upon startup.

Edit: More typically, it’s a problem with the Config folder in Saved Games that can cause issues. You can always try renaming that first.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Well my specs are

i5-6600k, 8gh 3000Mhz Ram, Zotac GTX170, ASRock Gaming K6+ mobbo

DCS ran super last time it ran.... I don't make amssive maps with loads of stuff in it, I don't play MP right now. Literally just load an empty map and fly about to get my hours up.

I've give those things a try. Thanks

rename the MissionEditor folder in DCS Saved Games and let the sim create a new one upon startup.

Edit: More typically, it’s a problem with the Config folder in Saved Games that can cause issues. You can always try renaming that first.

Yeah nah, tried both of these, no dice. :doh:

Post your dcs.log file. Likely an error should be in there indicating what it might be.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• ED Team

Hi

we would like to see your dcs log from your saved games dcs logs folder, it should give us some more clues.

Please also see my crash advice in my signature it may help.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Where do I find my dcs.log?

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs\dcs.log

you will need to archive into a zip file or change the name to dcs.txt to upload it.

Cheers.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

OK so I've found logs for 1.5 and 2.5

After having a look I've found 2 lines in the log which seem to cause the same error on both 1.5 and 2.5

1.5:- UIBASERENDERER: Cannot load font [C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 1.5\dxgui\skins\fonts\]!

2.5: - UIBASERENDERER: Cannot load font [D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World Stand Alone\dxgui\skins\fonts\]!

and

1.5:- Dispatcher: Error starting Game GUI: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_aircraft.lua"]:183: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

2.5:- Dispatcher: Error starting Game GUI: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_static.lua"]:325: attempt to index field 'categories' (a nil value)

dcs.doc

OK so I've found logs for 1.5 and 2.5

After having a look I've found 2 lines in the log which seem to cause the same error on both 1.5 and 2.5

1.5:- Dispatcher: Error starting Game GUI: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_aircraft.lua"]:183: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

2.5:- Dispatcher: Error starting Game GUI: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_static.lua"]:325: attempt to index field 'categories' (a nil value)

Don't worry about the other two errors, they happen on everyones system.

The ones listed here are the real issue and are usually fixed by renaming the SAVED GAMES or MissionEditor Folders as suggested previously, to allow DCS to recreate new defaults and remove any faulty files that may exist from MODS. (Warning you will have to move over some files from your backup to get controls, logbook, etc back)

Cleanup and repair will not fix any issues that exist in your SAVED GAMES folder, such as MODS or Bad Config files.

To be clear, are you now using a Fresh Install of DCS 2.5 or an upgrade from 1.5 to 2.5, if the later I suggest to start fresh with a DCS 2.5 install, there are just to many things to go wrong with upgrading from 1.5 to 2.5, a lot of differences in config files and the like.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Don't worry about the other two errors, they happen on everyones system.

To be clear, are you now using a Fresh Install of DCS 2.5 or an upgrade from 1.5 to 2.5, if the later I suggest to start fresh with a DCS 2.5 install, there are just to many things to go wrong with upgrading from 1.5 to 2.5, a lot of differences in config files and the like.

Regards, Ian.

Thanks for your reply, this is an update to 1.5. So what I'm going to do is take your advice and just remove DCS completely and grab a fresh install of 2.5. Because I don't wanna be bug fixing and fault finding all the time.

One other question though, I have modules F16, Spitfire and Hawk I ought from the DCS website, but previous to this I was using Steam and got the Huey (which I love). But DCS is uninstalled via steam, how do I add the Huey back once I have a fresh 2.5 install?

Thanks for your reply, this is an update to 1.5. So what I'm going to do is take your advice and just remove DCS completely and grab a fresh install of 2.5. Because I don't wanna be bug fixing and fault finding all the time.

One other question though, I have modules F16, Spitfire and Hawk I ought from the DCS website, but previous to this I was using Steam and got the Huey (which I love). But DCS is uninstalled via steam, how do I add the Huey back once I have a fresh 2.5 install?

Getting the Huey on DCS 2.5 Standalone might be tricky to impossible:

1. It is possible to transfer some modules from steam to DCS standalone (Keyless ones), but not all (Older modules with starforce) and I think the Huey will be in the later, absolute last option would be to repurchase it when on sale from the ED DCS store.
  2. Seek more advice from BigNewy or ED themselves, a link to forum on the matter below.
  3. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229207
  4. Also the HAWK module is no longer supported from the developer and is only available in an older DCS v2.5.3 or thereabouts, and is not usable at all in later builds.

Cheers, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC
Looks like the Huey is keyless so should be good to transfer over no worries

DCS Tech Support.

• ED Team

Hi

If you have tried my crash advice below and still have no joy I would go for a complete reinstall.

Make sure windows and all drivers are up to date.

Delete your DCS install and delete your saved games DCS folder D:\Users\Mohawkology\Saved Games\DCS\

start competently fresh so you can rule out everything.

If after that you still have no joy Support can be contacted here

Please attach your dcs log and dxdiag in your support ticket it will help the team

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/710/

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

OK so I've just spent 7 hours donwloading 2.5.5 on a fresh install with everything else removed and/or deleted and still sticks at 61%

Attached the log. I can't see anything different than what was on the old logs everytime it bummed out on me. I'm at a complete loss with this.

dcslog.txt

Edited by Mohawkology

• ED Team

Thanks for the log.

It is very strange, the error before the log stops is

2019-12-12 13:22:44.279 ALERT Dispatcher: Error starting Game GUI: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_static.lua"]:325: attempt to index field 'categories' (a nil value)

This kind of error is usually attributed to some modification / user mod.

But If you have done a fresh install and deleted or renamed your dcs folder here

D:\Users\Mohawkology\Saved Games\DCS

there should be no reason for the error.

My next advice would be to update to open beta and test

a guide can be found here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

or contact support directly here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

Thank you