[Wishlist] JF-17 and Laser Code programming

Norsegunar

I did a search and haven't seen this asked for yet. Would it be possible to move the changing of the laser codes from the Radio menu to the kneeboard like the M2K and the F-5E have? Or at least list the laser codes that are currently inputted? I find that sometimes i misclick on the radio menu for the wrong number or pylon then have to load the DTC to find out that I have put in the codes incorrectly then do it all over again.

Specs: It's a computer...it runs DCS....

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Honestly, I'm fine with changeing lasercode through the com menu.

All Pylons -> all digits -> enter code, fine.

I would only suggest to make it only possible to change the Lasercode AFTER rearming, and BEFORE DTC insertion.

At the moment, you can only change it after DTC insertion and read in. That feels a little strange when the laser code on the MFD changes magicaly.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

I suggest doing it like in other modules where it is changed by ground crew on the ground. In other modules it is done via. kneeboard and will also show your current code there. For those that don't know, afaik IRL usually the pilot will just tell the guy lazing what code to use, but in DCS we have engine limitation. (Code is set via mission editor/CTLD script and can not be changed ingame)

No realism was harmed in this production. :)

Concur with OP. While it is a realism abstraction, setting the laser code via kneeboard is now an established precedent that is consistent through other modules. I find the kneeboard method to be convenient, and the feature can still be disabled in the air.

Wait a second, there are modules currently able to change the laser code in air?

Yes. The A-10 most notably.

Fundamentally, it's more of a JTAC issue where an ancient implementation meant almost exclusively for use with the Hog made it so that the JTAC's code was statically set in the mission editor, so you needed to be able to set it dynamically in the airplane rather than the other way around.

As more and more modules have done it the “right” way, where it's a ground setting, it has increasingly become a problem that needs to be solved in the JTAC logic.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

To be honest, I prefer any feature be simulated as close to the real thing as possible. I am here to learn these aircrafts like they are in real life.

It makes little sense to remove or alter a feature because other developers have it set up in a different way.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

It was simply asked to be streamlined with current modules. I think it makes a lot of sense, since using a different way for every module is very confusing to users. Again this has nothing to do with the 'real thing' or 'realism'.

Nobody asked to be able to change laser codes in the air. We are talking about using the kneeboard function to look at your codes&change them as in other modules. (Simulating the groundcrew doing it)

I don't want the version of 'as close to the real thing as possible' either, since fumbling around with a screwdriver as groundcrew on the bombs doesn't look very fun to me. :)

The current method really doesn't make any sense. It's cumbersome, and buggy. About 4/5 times I try to set the code, it will say that I don't have anything on the pylon.

All the other modules that use the kneeboard to change the laser code, require engines to be off and imo simulates it sufficiently that the ground crew changes the code, with the current limitation in the engine.

The kneeboard method is unwieldy since it requires keybinds to manipulate rather than just a mouse, and it really shouldn't require the engine to be off.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Maybe not engine off, but at least something like weight on wheels and set parking brake. I do agree, that the kneeboard method is also just a workaround, but for me currently the most elegant solution of the ones we have. Perfect would be a selection in the loadout menu, but that is a change to be made to the base game. What I however absolutely hate to see, is the possibility to change it in air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Definitely. Expanding the current loadout screen to a proper, full-blown, live and real-time ground setup/preplanning screen would be the ideal way to go — it's already overdue but ED is seemingly committed to having each aircraft have its own bespoke solution rather than create a unified UI for it. :disgust:

I guess it's easier if all you want to do is churn something out here and now, but in the long run, and especially if they actually intend to make that dynamic campaign a thing that will work in multiplayer, it's an absolute and unavoidable requirement that they just keep pushing ahead, ultimately making more work for themselves and everyone else.