DCS - Nhawk's Weapons mod

No offence. But SolidWorks is not a right tool for subsonic and supersonic modeling. You can not get reliable data from it. Believe me as an CDF expert with 10 years experience. So I was realy surprised to see the right curves. What adjustements did you make to fit them? And how did you set thrust law?

Agreed solidworks isn't ansys but I too was surprised by its results. For my runs I used solidworks 2019 5.0 and used the CFD plugin that came with the version my school gave me. From my validation tests I found that SW's was accurate with moderately high res meshes (around 1+mill cells in contact with the body) and around 4-5mill total. I ran every .2 M through the solver having it solve for the force in the direction of the flow and then just solved for the CD value from that. In the initial settings I would turn on an option called "supersonic flow" for any mach value above 1.8. Following this I just ran each value three times and took the average. And when I did this for the two missile I ran validations for the curves matched quite well especially at high supersonic and low subsonic. The only area that had trouble was from 1.2 to 1.6. Occasionally the solver would pump out a number that was off, usually not by massive amounts, but it would generate a noticeable 'bump' (for lack of a better) word in the graph. To tune DCS I then made a matlab program that would take the CD value and just run a simple solver that would basically generate a flyout chart for a level launch. I would then take this graph and change the numbers in DCS until they matched.

Thanks for clarification. I didnt know they have added supersonic option to solidworks solver. So you got the results at least looking like a real one. It should be enough for DCS. I dont thinks even 20% discrepancy would lead to unbelievable performance in a game.

If you are interested in better results I advise you to use open source CFD soft OpenFoam.(unless you have an access to ANSYS FLUENT or ANSYS CFX) Here is the example

Noticed that with this mod, the PAC's MIM-104 missiles are sustaining Mach 5+ during boost and are significantly outperforming the S-300's missiles by a wide margin. Is this supposed to be the case? Seems weird given how the MIM-104 is a significantly smaller missile with a smaller motor compared to 5V55 and 48N6.

The S300 is matched to the flyout charts that I found for the missile so it's accurate to those charts. The Patriot received only a cursory CFD treatment with performance tuned to match that other sim that shall not be named. The Patriot ain't a small missile either its still 410mm and 5.8m long against the 5V55R's 450mm and 7m.

Now just to compare the performance of the two in thrust as they are similar in drag with the patriot just being a bit less then the S300 in everything up to high supersonic where the S300 gets quite a bit more draggy.

S300 - 5V55R

Boost only - ~59,500lbs for 10 seconds

MIM-104C Patriot PAC 2

Boost-Sustain - 44,870lbs-3740lbs for 5 seconds and 15 respectively.

Now the S300 has one hec of a boost yes but the patriots boost can still get the missile up to M5 in a high loft and the boost keeps it going that fast while the S300 will start to slow down. In a final note I should go back and do a full drag curve for the patriot at some point as it was on of the first missiles I did and I only did a subsonic, transonic, and supersonic drag value change

Edit - after testing it also does seem that the S300 when ti lofts pulls a ton of g's and doesn't really stop until its looking right at the target, i'll investigate this and see if I can fix it.

Edit2 - New loft code seems to have helped fix the S300's high G issues, will continue to test further and probably add it to the Patriot as well.

Edit3 - New loft code is much smoother and as such the Patriot is no longer pulling insane G's on launch and now its a super missile, going to adjust drag performance.

Edit4 - Patriot is now good it no longer pulls tons of G's on launch, or when lofting, drag was adjusted to match this reduction in energy loss due to execsives g's

Edit5 - While S300 is now lofting more smothly it still pulls lots of g's shortly after launch (20+) will continue to investigate this and adjust performance if I do fix it.

Edited by nighthawk2174

• 2 weeks later...

https://gitlab.com/Nighthawk2174/nhawk---weapons-mod-public-release

Missile Mod has been updated

---------------Guns----------

-Adjusted the names of some round when in game hit is displayed

-Adjusted performance of MK149 round learned its a heavier round with significantly improved performance over the M56 series. I'm working on getting figuring out a drag curve/weight for the round to update it further. For now i've given it the PGU drag as they are very similar in shape and an increased weight for the DU/Tungsten perpetrator.

-Adjusted the size of some tracers to make them appear less like lasers

---------------MISSILES----------

AGM-88 HARM

- Added new ED drag curve

nyZfwir.jpg

mrAuDGa.jpg

5V55R (SA-10B)

- gave new smoother loft

- tweaked turning performance slightly

- Adjusted chaff resistances

MIM-104 Pac 2 (Patriot)

- New smoother loft

- Adjusted performance, is slower in general

- Adjusted chaff resistances

-Adjusted CCM of several missiles

full git changelog

https://gitlab.com/Nighthawk2174/nhawk---weapons-mod-public-release/-/commit/85055e4c74306f90866a653d93eaadb9dbac33fa

Edited by nighthawk2174

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea why, but when I use this mod the Stennis model disappears. Any mission that starts on the Stennis loads to the map screen as it isn't there.

I tracked it down to this mod, every other mod I have loaded loads up a mission with a carrier start, only when I use this mod does it not work.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Same problem here. The issue doesn't seem to be limited to the Stennis. With the latest update, it seems that pretty much the majority of the ships won't even show up now. Artillery units like the BM-27 also seem to have just vanished. These units can be placed on the map in the mission editor but upon mission load, they simply aren't there.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like the mod is making either the F-18 or the F-14 dissapear from me and my friends games, and making the game crash on the start of a mission. I cant check if it breaks anything in missions either because of the crashing.

Updated the mod to work with the latest Open Beta version.

https://gitlab.com/Nighthawk2174/nhawk---weapons-mod-public-release

NOTE MAKE SURE TO FULLY DELETE THE ENTIRE MOD BEFORE UPDATING

there are several files which I can't edit anymore due to them causing the game to bug out or hard crash if any edits are made to the file. As such you will need to purge the mod to ensure none of these files remain. The core of the mod is still intact but i've lost the ability to edit the AIM-7E/F/MH on all aircraft including the F14, the AIM-7M on every aircraft but the F14 can still be moded.

Edit: this is hopefully a bug I've made a report and hopefully it'll get fixed, of note this impacts ALL mods modifying files in the coremods folder so make sure to check all of your mods for both updates and to see if it edits files in this folder.

Edited by nighthawk2174

Ok I'll look into the F86 (forgot to check that one whoops) and MP as well.

Edit: welp the F86's gun barrel heat is modded in the coremods file which well is no longer editable so unfortunately the absurd gun heat induced dispersion is now beyond my ability to fix unless ED fixes this issue. I'll drop a patch here in a few minutes but to fix it just go into the mod and delete this folder: CoreMods/Aircraft/F86

Edited by nighthawk2174

No it seems that if you make any edit to the files in there it will de-authenticate your module and whenever you try to load into the jet with a moded file in their coremods folder you spawn into an A-10 not the jet you wanted to spawn in. I can thankfully still adjust stats for the guns and like 98% of the missile in the game but whenever I try to change any stats for the SD10, AIM54, or the F86's barrel heat you get the above effect.

No it seems that if you make any edit to the files in there it will de-authenticate your module and whenever you try to load into the jet with a moded file in their coremods folder you spawn into an A-10 not the jet you wanted to spawn in. I can thankfully still adjust stats for the guns and like 98% of the missile in the game but whenever I try to change any stats for the SD10, AIM54, or the F86's barrel heat you get the above effect.

Yes same, Thanks for the reply