OH-58D Announcement

On 8/28/2021 at 10:23 AM, QuiGon said:

No one knows :dunno:

Even ED doesn't seem to know, because neither Kiowa nor Strike Eagle have been submitted to ED for quality evaluation/approval yet. 

Actually they currently don't have anything submitted to look over, evertyhing is either already released and in our hands, or is still deep in development.

Edited by Rick50

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Mower said:

Good question.

Which will reamain at the 'asked' status for now.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

9 hours ago, LoneS said:

What's with the holdup? We're seeing the Apache being finalized so where are we with the Kiowa?

Development is on track again. Regular updates will resume at some point. They were hoping to share some news in the upcoming weeks.

(Per their Discord)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 10/8/2021 at 2:28 AM, ArjenHVA said:

Development is on track again. Regular updates will resume at some point. They were hoping to share some news in the upcoming weeks.

(Per their Discord)

Love the information.  What is the basis of this?  I don't follow Facebook or twitter.

Thanks,

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Duh.  I have no excuse.

@razo+rthanks

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 4:20 AM, LoneS said:

Let's just hope it's not as aerobatic as the Gazelle! That one really disappointed.

Completely different rotor head technology. This will (should) fly closer to what people ‘expect’ when they fly helo’s. 

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have read reports and watched some videos (what I am saying is I am not an expert) saying that the Gazelle's flight dynamics aren't that far off from the real deal. I enjoy flying it now once I practiced a lot. It is a very light chopper and wonder what a MD500 would fly like compared to the Gazelle. Anyway, just my two cents, not necessarily disagreeing with anyone. 

On 12/4/2021 at 11:46 PM, Maduce said:

I have read reports and watched some videos (what I am saying is I am not an expert) saying that the Gazelle's flight dynamics aren't that far off from the real deal. I enjoy flying it now once I practiced a lot. It is a very light chopper and wonder what a MD500 would fly like compared to the Gazelle. Anyway, just my two cents, not necessarily disagreeing with anyone. 

Just to add two cents of my own, the Gazelle is fun to fly, mostly works well, and there's a whole slew of flight behaviors that I would gladly ignore because they only kick in for particular circumstances, the SCAS system working its magic, or are just ridiculous aerobatic maneuvers...

But I simply can't stand...how the cyclic input and subsequent behavior is so far off from normal flight behavior, as well as that surely being knowingly developed, as well as passing ED's QA, as well as seemingly being tailored towards somehow making things easier for self-centering sticks, and apparently is so integrated into the flight model that god knows when it will ever be adressed.

I don't want to fly a helicopter where every move of the cyclic teaches you bad habits because no actual helicopter flies anything like it.

Some timestamped clips showcasing it :

https://youtu.be/FS3LvVVMrnw?t=790

https://youtu.be/AU3sntZXRbU?t=698

https://youtu.be/E96fhzKmCHI?t=505

• Like 1

Hi@all,
do you have to talk down this hackneyed topic again here in the OH-58 Announcement Post? It's been known for a long time that the Gazelle's FM needs to be improved & PC recently said that they will do that after the release of the Kiowa. We have to rely on that for now. And if you have to discuss this topic again, please do so in the Gazelle Forum ... 

Thx

• Like 1

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Bell will hopefully have a big influence to transfer knowledge about how helicopters really work. But they are not just a team of two. They were a core team of three people after TheFragger left Polychop to save the Bo-105 from facing the same fate as the Gazelle module. Since then there were at least six people involved, but i don't blame anyone who wanted to leave the team again after getting some insights. This was the state around 2020, before Covid started to have an influence on any company on the planet.

• Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• 4 months later...

Hi people.

I've just dived in to Kiowa sea and couldn't find a proper development plan frame.
Could you direct me to the info? What's the latest news?

I'm watching Cosmo's videos but they're from 1 year ago.

What is Polychop waiting for?

Thx!

• Like 2

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

On 5/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, Devrim said:

Hi people.

I've just dived in to Kiowa sea and couldn't find a proper development plan frame.
Could you direct me to the info? What's the latest news?

I'm watching Cosmo's videos but they're from 1 year ago.

What is Polychop waiting for?

Thx!

They just shut up the community so they wouldn't keep asking. Since then we have had no more information. I have no more hopes with Kiowa. I'm very satisfied with Apache.

280232266_1150887175751742_7704340014738

Edited by ThorBrasil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Pretty much.

They launched with lots of talk about "release this year" and lots of beautiful screenshots. After a year, they got a lot quieter. And the release date estimate became a lot more murky. After a while of that, with a few assurances that things were coming along nicely, then with no warning they went silent. It's been silent for a while.  I'm not sure of the status of this project. But I wouldn't bet money on an eminent release. 

It's an open question that no one's really asking, as to whether or not the project is still alive or not. It seems that most have embraced the Hind and Apache, and are looking forward to the Bo-105 PAH. While I do think a KW would sell, that requires a product for us to buy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh guys... Thanks for the great info.

So, I'm getting out of the KW sea then. It's quite cold here. 😄

Thx. 🖐️

• Like 3

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/8e9bb76f4a0514c588f70108e2437ea3/

Scroll to the bottom.

I'm also aware through posts that there was some health issues with one of the members which slowed down development. If I remember correctly, things are back on track.

Edited by ddc196
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

2 hours ago, ddc196 said:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/8e9bb76f4a0514c588f70108e2437ea3/

Scroll to the bottom.

I'm also aware through posts that there was some health issues with one of the members which slowed down development. If I remember correctly, things are back on track.

Yeah, they said he had recovered and things were back on course late last year, and here it is May.. I think alot of frustration is there is absolutley close to zero info. Given to the community, from something that was close to being done before one of their guys got sick. and 2 fully designed made and Issued Helos have come out, Since the Kiowa that was close to complete 2 1/2 years ago.  And think thats where alot of Frustration and peeps given up on the Kiowa come from from what ive read around. Personally While nice to have all the Different variants coming out, i think some of that time and effort could have went to progressing on the Main build the 58D Warrior like mentioned. I have a small glimmer left for the 58 but We most likely wont see it till Next year at Best. I think the 105 will be out before the Kiowa. But I am Hopeful.

Edited by Backdraft
  • Like 1