Reticle Depression: Atmospheric Variables?

2alpha-down0

I've been doing a decent amount of F-5 bombing lately, and I just want to confirm what I think I'm seeing.

For level delivery of Mk82SEs, I'm seeing a decent amount of variation in reticle depression needed. I stick to 500 AGL/500 IAS delivery profile, and find that at sea level I need around 140 mils of depression.

Recently I hit a target at 11,500 ASL, and 140 mils caused the bombs to go way long. A second strike with 100 mils depression was centered on target.

It would make sense that atmospheric pressure would change sight setting requirements, and I assume that's what's happening, but I've never seen it mentioned in any manual or tutorial. I assume there's a way to account for this other than trial and error?

Early Cold War Servers

https://discord.gg/VGC7JxJWDS

Release tables in TO 1F-5E-34 are all based on TAS as opposed to IAS. Your aircraft is moving almost 100 knots faster when you are 500 KIAS at 11,500 MSL than when you are indicating 500 knots at sea level.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I don't think it's atmospheric pressure, I think it's geometry. The bomb has a lot more time to travel down range from 11,000' than it does from 500', even at the same TAS, let alone faster.

The target was on a mountain at 11,500 MSL; delivery was done level at 12,000 MSL (500 AGL) and 500 IAS (which it seems was my problem).

Early Cold War Servers

https://discord.gg/VGC7JxJWDS

I don't think it's atmospheric pressure, I think it's geometry. The bomb has a lot more time to travel down range from 11,000' than it does from 500', even at the same TAS, let alone faster.

As 2Alpha pointed out, 500 AGL level delivery, so geometry is no factor. Time of fall is a constant based on gravitational acceleration regardless of airspeed at delivery (0 knots or 500, it doesn't matter), the only question is how far downrange the bomb will be when it strikes the ground.

... (which it seems was my problem).

Have you had a chance to try it again 2alpha? Hopefully adjusting your airspeed to a constant TAS will at least get you in the ballpark...

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”