FPS bump by disabling GameDVR in Windows 10 via registry

Mustang

Note that after rebooting the key GameDVR_Enabled might reset to 1 unless you also turn of game recording in your Windows Game bar settings.

In my setup (1070GTX, UWQHD screen, Win10 1909) these changes had no impact on fps at all.

Hornet | Viper | Warthog | Apache | Huey | FC3 | Mustang
5800X | RTX3080 | X-56 | Reverb G2

This article may help out a good number of you who might be experiencing sub par performance with VR or even 2D setups

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-version-1903-gaming/?fbclid=IwAR0C2R_1_PVdg-I3pOPfwIWYC88V8WrVUuK1bQTyhtpNP6bw3xHS9WOXb6U

"To understand it better, when you run a game in exclusive fullscreen mode, the image goes from the game directly to your screen. After the update, the game is first rendered, then goes through Windows Desktop, and then to the screen.

This leads to input lag and performance issues in many games."

I have created the required .reg file for those who want to try this out, it has been tried and tested by many people and everyone I have spoke to have seen a rise in performance, especially those with VR.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1baftisLScNUoN01gSOY7Y98OtIq9IVoK

simply download this file and double click it and allow it to modify registry then reboot, it will add the entries as seen in the screenshot attached below.

How do I undo this? I run your .reg file, and now I can't get back into my fullscreen DCS after ALT-TABing. The game is still running, but but the display no longer updates the video.

Ahhhh the evolution of settings, I haven't tried this registry fix but I did switch to full screen in settings tonight to see what it would do, don't know why it wasn't but prolly down to a lack of understanding of what should be what. Running the Reverb and tonight's choppa mission (that was quite a heavy mission) ran absolutely flawless! Smoothest I have ever seen, locked at 45fps the whole time hosting with around 12 people connected, so for me maybe not the registry edit but still this thread has helped me out a lot! :thumbup:

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

How do I undo this? I run your .reg file, and now I can't get back into my fullscreen DCS after ALT-TABing. The game is still running, but but the display no longer updates the video.

Did you not make a backup of your original registry file before applying this one?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I didn’t notice any improvement in FPS but I didn’t dip down as much when on the ground. Otherwise I had no ill effect from the edit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

It seems much like a 'your mileage may vary' kind of tweak, the people I speak to on Teamspeak all report positive increases with no problems, not sure what to say to those who get no increases or even worse performance, guess that's the nature of PCs with all the thousands/millions of different configurations in the mix.

It seems much like a 'your mileage may vary' kind of tweak, the people I speak to on Teamspeak all report positive increases with no problems

Maybe TeamSpeak needs to be running for this tweak to work...;)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

It seems much like a 'your mileage may vary' kind of tweak, the people I speak to on Teamspeak all report positive increases with no problems, not sure what to say to those who get no increases or even worse performance, guess that's the nature of PCs with all the thousands/millions of different configurations in the mix.

Did you consider that this woud probably only affect people, who have "fullscreen" checked in their dcs options? I recently disabled fullscreen in dcs and got a slight performance boost from it. Haven't tested, but i probably would not get any more performance from the tweak, since it should only have an effect on fullscreen, shouldn't it?

It actually only seems to cut in at all when you press Alt-Enter (at least in VR world), selecting full screen in game options in VR still creates a window

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

It actually only seems to cut in at all when you press Alt-Enter (at least in VR world), selecting full screen in game options in VR still creates a window

right. this is important as well.

did someone compare "borderless windows" without tweak to "exclusive fullscreen + Alt-Enter + registry tweak".

i could imagine, that performance is more or less the same, but can't test myself right now.

AWESOME and many thanks

This litte reg. entry fixed for me micro stutters which i never could fix no matter what i was changing at NVIDIA control panel, ingame settings, ect.

I was suffering notorious micro stutters and shadowing when planes pass next to me.

Now my FPS are much more stable and i can use more AI around me. Tried all maps in a variety of combination of planes and I can fly with and against around 14 planes near me and its still looks smooth. :thumbup:

While im focused to read my instruments and want a good sight i disabled most unecessary settings to keep up the perofrmance.

Valve Index Resolution per eye is set manual to 110%

Textures :Medium

Terrain textures :low

Water :medium

Visibility :high

Traffic :low

Shadows :off

Cockpit res. :1024

MSAA :off

SSAA :off

Anisotropic : 4x

Grass :0

Tree v. :60%

RIG: 8700k OC 4.8 Ghz. - 32 Gig RAM at 3200mhz - 1080 non TI OC RAM +500 GPU + 120 mhz, NVME 128 Gig

Edited by P4TL4ND

Probably system dependant - win version dependant. Launching Mustang's registry file doesn't change the values as in his screenshot (same on a friend's system with same actual windows version) + the missing line is not added (no way to add it in fact).

So I've not being able to run exact same registry state than Mustang's one - in this case I don't consider that it doesn't work, but that I can't test it.

During testing I've noticed VR mirror in fullscreen gives some 2-3 fps more like others said, but since a time I always put mirror in fullscreen so I don't loose DCS focus by clicking outside mirror despite mouse being confined.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

in my system (with VR) i noticed a substancial perfomance increase, in 2D from 100/150 FPS (1080p) to 150/250 fps. With VR fixed on 30/45 fps (before sometimes go low as 15/20). In VR it didn´t give much more fps but a lot less stutter. Thank you very much for this! a game changer i must say.

Noob question, it´s possible that in a future Windows update it doesn´t work right? do i need to apply the file after each Windows update?

Thank you once again and the best for you and your family in the upcoming year of 2020,

F.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I have injected the reg code but havent measured any performance before / aft.

Didn't hurt

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Key "GameDVR_FSEBehaviour" missing

My registry does not have the key "GameDVR_FSEBehaviour". Should I add it?

I'm runnung Windows 10 Pro version 1903.

I applied the changes to the other 3 keys but do not see any performance change.

I attach a screen shot of my original registry settings.

Registry_Original.jpg.a20014785f5b61ec8b1caf9505e09827.jpg

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

My registry does not have the key "GameDVR_FSEBehaviour". Should I add it?

I'm runnung Windows 10 Pro version 1903.

I applied the changes to the other 3 keys but do not see any performance change.

I attach a screen shot of my original registry settings.

yep I added it, the reg file in post 1 will automatically include it

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Worked for me - Thanks Mustang!

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I've yet to see Alt+Enter bring any performance improvements, but just recently I upped to 1909, because Oculus gave me a warning it would stop working on 7 soon. Otherwise I would have done the step with the advent of some new shiny hardware, now I had to take the step earlier. Didn't try it out in 10 yet, so I might give this reg hack a try and make sure the game settings of Win 10 are set appropriately (didn't look for those either yet).

Microsoft! :mad:

Early Access! dealwithit.png

oh if you want to see a difference in the FPS counter, you need to turn off ASW/"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector"... I get a fairly steady 45 FPS in free flight in caucuses with the F18 with ASW … which equates to high 50's low 60's without these optimisations, in Full Screen mode I get high 70's low 80's.

Note I'm not advocating turning ASW off, but if you have it switched on, the performance bump is hidden inside the ASW because you are still running less than 90Hz

I disable ASW with the ODT, but still my frames are locked to 45 mostly... OTOH I see now neg things by doing so, therefore I just continue switching it off before firing up DCS.

Maybe TeamSpeak needs to be running for this tweak to work...wink.gif

Rather not running Discord... he's enjoying a chocolate rain party with your hardware ressources if you don't use TeamSpeak instead

I've yet to see that fullscreen tick box in the option to work, it always is unchecked, even if I tick it and let DCS restart. Never has been any different.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

¿Do you guys know how to revert this? I just want to test my performance between fix/no fix. I applied the fix but did not backup the previous values in the registry.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

WCS, enable Hyper-V feature ( 10 Pro needed ), install a 10 and check what it defaults to.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X