FPS bump by disabling GameDVR in Windows 10 via registry

Mustang

For me this made a noticeable difference. The ghosting of the planes reduced significantly (not totally), spotting is better the targets seem clearer, overall the stutters have stopped when looking left and right, although they were never bad they are now gone. Overall smooth, smooth smooth.

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

For me this made a noticeable difference. The ghosting of the planes reduced significantly (not totally), spotting is better the targets seem clearer, overall the stutters have stopped when looking left and right, although they were never bad they are now gone. Overall smooth, smooth smooth.[...]
did you disable all windows game features in the UI before doing the registry edit?

i'm asking because i did not yet see someone who could say for certrain that the settings in UI were not enough.

HI

Yes I did. I have had those disabled/turned off for awhile now. I have certainly noticed a noticeable improvement.

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

HI

Yes I did. I have had those disabled/turned off for awhile now. I have certainly noticed a noticeable improvement.

oh. good to know. thanks.

i'm wondering if this is something that should be reported to microsoft also, not only to ED.

would it make sense for ED to report it to microsoft themselfes? maybe their word has bigger impact as an established developer?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'd be incredibly careful about making these kinds of recommendations. As far as I've seen in benchmarks, reg edits haven't had a positive impact on Windows 10 performance since it first launched many years ago. But the potential for hosing a system due to a tiny mistake in reg editing is very real.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Wow! Just wow, Mustang. I have just come back to DCS after many years away and having got a new system. I play only in 2D, only SP, so far. Needless to say, I've just spent almost seven whole days trying to get rid of various kinds of stutter (a common experience, it seems...). My system is decent, and I finally managed to get rid of the common or garden stutter, the kind caused by constant minor fluctuation in FPS (basically, by limiting FPS to 30 via the Nvidia adaptive half-refresh, by setting latency to ultra, by disabling multi-threading on the Nvidia card) so that I have a very smooth flight experience with all options maxed out. It's beautiful. And it's actually amazing how smooth 30fps is if it really is a stable and constant 30fps. I can get higher than that, on an RTX 2070 (but no reason to) if I turn down some features. This was the result of seven days reading in here and trying again and again the Charnwood P51 first scenario. A lot of work.

BUT - a huge BUT - no matter what I tried, I could not get rid of another kind of worse stutter which just seemed to occur randomly in flight (if anything linked to sound files loading, I thought), alongside the otherwise smooth frames, a slightly larger kind of stutter - at times the graphics card would actually freeze for a split second, and then gradually, as the scenario progressed this stutter would increase. Ruining everything. Monitoring showed that my system resources were not really being used to the max, so I couldn't figure it out.

I stumbled then upon this fix, and wow! It's like a different game. So many thanks Mustang. I was about to give up on the game again. This fix had an astonishing impact for me. A real and literal game-changer. Thanks. I really had almost given up hope.

Edited by peterwinship

Did this reg edit and nothing changed in DCS VR. Still stuck at 45fps.

you likely have either of these lines in your default.vrsettings file:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",
	"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

they will force a behavior of 45 rendered fps if your frametiming is about 11ms and below 22ms.

It is unlikely that this config change on its own will improve your performance to an extent that you will see 90fps.

What it will do is likely improve your frametimes slightly... so why is that important? it means you can try turning on eye candy, or if you were borderline in some scenarios of having a frame time above 22ms, it will bring that time down a little bit, enabling you to participate in bigger missions etc.. without as much of an issue with stuttering and ghosting

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this Stuartaston.

I have double clicked on the file but nothing happened in my registry. I had to manually change the values.

I do say a slight increase in smoothness but I am not sure if it is just confirmation bias! :)

Nevertheless if it doesnt hurt and might help, I apply it!

X570 Aorus Pro Wifi - Ryzen 3700X - 32Gb GSkill 3600Mhz - Gigabyte RTX2080 Super Windforce - Lian Li Dynamic - Oculus Rift

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I never talked about this because I have base 1607 from 2016, which doesn't have GameDVR, so I never knew about it existing. You guys probably should turn it off as it's known to be interfeering and causing issues with OBS recorder and probably other places.

Do we need to reapply this fix every update?

Oh yeah, you need to check pretty much all settings again if they flipped, updates mess up a lot of things, this is why I run an older 1607 release and never updated ever since, there's no way I'm going to be re-configuring my whole Windows install of hundreds of little tweaks and settings each time, it's a good example to give you an idea why so many people hate microsoft. However it may not flip all of them, I can't speak much because I never did any testing what updates do, usually it flips the unofficial tweaks(registry) and many times other normal options, I keep hearing about that all the time, some big or more obvious settings exposed in the new-style GUI perhaps stay fine.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 weeks later...

In the current Win10 x64 v1903 GameConfigStore unmodified section looks as follows:

(Default)

GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible=0

GameDVR_EFSEFeatureFlags=0

GameDVR_Enabled=0

GameDVR_FSEBehaviourMode=2

GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviourMode=0

Win32_AutoGameModeDefaultProfile= ************************(long string of numbers)

Win32_GameModeRelatedProcesses= ********************** (long string of numbers)

So GameDVR_FSEBehaviour value as described in the link doesn't even exist per se now. I'll venture to assume it is GameDVR_Enabled.

Any suggestions?

Any objective (or side) indications or evidence, that the suggested in the article edits have changed anything at all?

Thanks.

Edited by Sabre

Not every registry entry is actually written into the registry , absence doesn’t mean it won’t work, just that you have to add the key to have the effect, otherwise a default behaviour is assumed by the program.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Not every registry entry is actually written into the registry , absence doesn’t mean it won’t work, just that you have to add the key to have the effect, otherwise a default behaviour is assumed by the program.

True, but does anybody know about these concrete 2 values:

GameDVR_FSEBehaviour (as suggested) vs GameDVR_Enabled (that exists)? Are they compatible or mutually exclusive?

Is there a way to learn if the edit works or not?

Thanks.

apply observation, make the changes and see ...

apply observation, make the changes and see ...

See what? Do you know where I could look at to notice the change?

I'm googling for it meanwhile, maybe I'll find some useful info.

Thanks.

See what? Do you know where I could look at to notice the change?

I'm googling for it meanwhile, maybe I'll find some useful info.

Thanks.

Here is how:

How to Check if Fullscreen Optimizations are Enabled

You can check whether Fullscreen Optimizations are enabled or not by opening the Xbox Game Bar via Win+G. If you are running in Fullscreen Exclusive, then the display brightness may be flicker. If you are in Fullscreen Optimizations, the Xbox Game Bar should pop up as an overlay. You can do this with other system UIs such as the volume indicator too. Make sure to update your drivers to ensure you can take advantage of Fullscreen Optimizations.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

the best way to see if it makes a difference to you is to measure the frametime difference before and after you make the change, if you are using WMR then FPSVR is a cheap (4$ ish) works really well