Radio stupid questions...

shomke

... Here they are.

On the M2000 the main/green radio is VHF-UHF, and the secondary UHF. Correct?

Let say I want to contact an ATC on the 251 Mhz. Both radio can be set up to a frequency of 251 Mhz. So both radio will work for contacting the ATC if I set them to 251 MHz?

Also, What's the difference between a VHF AM and a VHF FM? Which one do we have on the M2000C?

I just installed Vaicom Pro tonight and I got some difficulties to contact my Wingman and the Tower... I need a bit of training but I see the potential :)

F-16C, M2000C, Persian Gulf

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB ram, Odyssey HMD+, Home-made TrackHat, X56 Hotas.

Hey! I don’t remember the frequency ranges from the top of my head, but I am sure I listed them in the manual, just check the radio chapter. M-2000 radios cannot work in FM range, only VHF and UHF.

There is a small misunderstanding here :smilewink:

AM/ FM is about the modulation of the signal here, not about the frequency range.

So yes, in military use there are some VHF FM, but it's mostly used to talk to ground troops I think.

@shomke:

Use AM for both VHF and UHF.

And yes, if ATC has UHF frequency you can use it, and you need one PTT/ menu button for each radio.

Ideally, you should not fly alone. So you set flight frequency, and you should always monitor it.

Since you can use "green" V/UHF both with channels and in manual mode, I keep it to communicate with "the rest of the world" (ATC, AWACS, Tanker, JTAC...).

I keep the "red" UHF radio to talk to my flight.

This way, if you fly with a human buddy, you can talk to each other on "red", one can monitor AWACS on "green" and the other JTAC on "green" too.

And if need be you pass information to wingman on "red".

So a 2 ships slight can monitor 3 frequencies.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

@shomke:

Thanks for the info.

Briefings give four frequencies for the ATC. If I remember well they are from top to bottom AM (within VHF range), VHF, UHF, HF.

So you would recommend to use the first one for communication with the ATC?

Yesterday I tried for the first time the Liberation Dynamic Campaign. I was surprised to see that the briefing was giving me the same UHF frequency (251 Mhz) for both the flight and the ATC. Normal?

F-16C, M2000C, Persian Gulf

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB ram, Odyssey HMD+, Home-made TrackHat, X56 Hotas.

Thanks for the info.

Briefings give four frequencies for the ATC. If I remember well they are from top to bottom AM (within VHF range), VHF, UHF, HF.

So you would recommend to use the first one for communication with the ATC?

Yesterday I tried for the first time the Liberation Dynamic Campaign. I was surprised to see that the briefing was giving me the same UHF frequency (251 Mhz) for both the flight and the ATC. Normal?

I think 251 MHz is default DCS frequency...

DCS has long way to go for realistic radio management :smilewink:

You can find in DCS folder documentation with airfield data, including radio I think.

Most airfield have multiple frequencies.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

There is a small misunderstanding here :smilewink:

AM/ FM is about the modulation of the signal here, not about the frequency range.

So yes, in military use there are some VHF FM, but it's mostly used to talk to ground troops I think.

@shomke:

And yes, if ATC has UHF frequency you can use it, and you need one PTT/ menu button for each radio.

Ideally, you should not fly alone. So you set flight frequency, and you should always monitor it.

Since you can use "green" V/UHF both with channels and in manual mode, I keep it to communicate with "the rest of the world" (ATC, AWACS, Tanker, JTAC...).

I keep the "red" UHF radio to talk to my flight.

This way, if you fly with a human buddy, you can talk to each other on "red", one can monitor AWACS on "green" and the other JTAC on "green" too.

And if need be you pass information to wingman on "red".

So a 2 ships slight can monitor 3 frequencies.

I stand corrected. Somehow I thought FM is always in the lower range (30.000 +) but I never actually studied it. Thanks jojo.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also like to ask a question. The radios are different now since the updated (and quite excellent!) new cockpit changes and look. It used to be red and green. But now I just see the one....right?

I'm flying one of the built in "instant action" Mirage Air to Air refueling missions where I head to Nav one to meet the tanker and can handle all that....but the mission briefing says I need to manually tune in to the tanker. I can't recall, but I think its 144 or something....the number doesn't matter, I have no idea how to hail the tanker via radio. Would someone kindly assist? and also let me know if there is still a red and green? I'm used to both of those from the red flag etc.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Hey, they still are red and green - the name comes from the colour of volume knobs on the left panel. As for setting manual freq you can only use V/UHF (green) to do that. From the top of my head (as it is 3rd week away from my PC, aaa!) - just type 14400 and press VAL (button to the right). Of you type two digits and press VAL, you will select the preset channel.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I'd also like to ask a question. The radios are different now since the updated (and quite excellent!) new cockpit changes and look. It used to be red and green. But now I just see the one....right?

I'm flying one of the built in "instant action" Mirage Air to Air refueling missions where I head to Nav one to meet the tanker and can handle all that....but the mission briefing says I need to manually tune in to the tanker. I can't recall, but I think its 144 or something....the number doesn't matter, I have no idea how to hail the tanker via radio. Would someone kindly assist? and also let me know if there is still a red and green? I'm used to both of those from the red flag etc.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Check in options you are not in easy radio.

But despite new V/UHF radio panel, it's the same logic.

- new V/UHF: green radio

- old UHF: red radio

And you still have one key assigned to each radio to call the corresponding menu.

Mirage fanatic !

Hey, they still are red and green - the name comes from the colour of volume knobs on the left panel. As for setting manual freq you can only use V/UHF (green) to do that. From the top of my head (as it is 3rd week away from my PC, aaa!) - just type 14400 and press VAL (button to the right). Of you type two digits and press VAL, you will select the preset channel.

What VAL button ? I have not figured out how to manually set a frequency in the first tutorial I am supposed to set 118.3 MHz the only thing I still miss.

What VAL button ?

The VLD/XFR (validate/transfer) button is to the right of the Channel/Frequency display.

I have not figured out how to manually set a frequency in the first tutorial I am supposed to set 118.3 MHz the only thing I still miss.

See page 196 of Chuck's updated DCS Mirage 2000C Guide "HOW TO USE V/UHF COM1 “GREENBOX” RADIO"

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The VLD/XFR (validate/transfer) button is to the right of the Channel/Frequency display.

See page 196 of Chuck's updated DCS Mirage 2000C Guide "HOW TO USE V/UHF COM1 “GREENBOX” RADIO"

It still does not work. I press 1 1 8 3 and VLD is displayed on the button. I press VLD and XFR is displayed also my entered 1183 disappear and FF P 001 is displayed instead. My frequency is not set 118.3 and pressing XFR now wont do it